BSNL 3G Thread

^ as i told, all depends on the speed limit either by operator or your device. IF you can give me the SIM i can tell you why its showing like this :p

^ I have a UMG181 and it supports 7.2mbps DL and 5.76 Mbps UL. I tried it on a E122 and its the same. I tried it different locations in Chennai. I m getting the full 3.6mbps download speed but its the upload that is limited to 384k as its ONLY HSDPA.

smnrock said:
Supra, you can test the speed limit assigned to your SIM's with the help of MDMA. Its a nice tool and u can use that for USSD too :p. Let me know the speed assigned to you for your different SIMS.
Can this thing be used to test the network stuff with phone connected as modem to laptop ??

Can anyone confirm that DL Speeds for BSNL 3G in Chennai are capped to 3.6 Mbps?
I use it on my E122 and DL Speeds max out to 3.6 Mbps, however it shows HSPA in Mobile Partner and i get UL speeds 1+ Mbps

^ yes assigned profile, it seems bsnl in your area doesnt set any speed limit for you or your tower is HSPA+ supported :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anyways check with your E122 and UMG181 also... it seems some modem gives wrong value in assigned profile

@ varkey---- Yur assigned profile is HSPA +(HSPA+ 21.6M downloads, 2 Mbps HSUPA uploads) ...omg :O....BSNL is already a HSPA+ network...damn only if we had a HSPA+ modem

@smnrock--- What is ur modem showing up ?

@Supra, its partly true, but in most of the places(BSNL) doesnt set the speed limit. I mean they use the default setting provided by vendor, but thier tower may not support HSPA+. The speed can be set in HLR and also tower level and i guess in varkey's case the speed shown is from HLR and if the tower doesnt support that speed, then the connection will get disconnected once it tries cross tower limits.

I don't have the E122 with me now to check. The above is from the UMG181. The upload profile speed keeps switching beween 18xx and 3xxx.

But the primary issue still remains, upload is locked at 384k even though I am using the 256k/3G SIM. :( Download speeds are in the 3-3.5Mbps range most of time, so I don't think they are trottling that.

Supra said:
@smnrock--- What is ur modem showing up ?

TN 2G migrated to 3G => 3712

TN 2G => 256 and earlier it was 128 :(. they modified to 256 after i fought with them :p

KA 2G migrated to 3G => 6144 for postpaid and 8940 for prepaid, 1984 for upload.

Also RAT info in MDMA will tell about HSDPA/HSUPA. for more info visit here

Supra said:
^^ Btw how is the disconnection issue gng on today ?

Connected at around 1 PM and till now 3 disconnections, not so bad.

Nov 25 15:01:49 dockstar pppd[928]: Connect time 21511284.8 minutes.

Nov 25 17:49:05 dockstar pppd[2091]: Connect time 159.9 minutes.

Nov 25 18:07:29 dockstar pppd[2091]: Connect time 17.9 minutes.

The first connect time is around 2 hours. (The dockstar doesn't have a hardware clock!)

Right now I am at Cochin, here the disconnections are less. Its at Chennai, expecially in my area where the number of disconnections are really really high.
smnrock said:
TN 2G migrated to 3G => 3712

TN 2G => 256 and earlier it was 128 :(. they modified to 256 after i fought with them :p

KA 2G migrated to 3G => 6144 for postpaid and 8940 for prepaid, 1984 for upload.

Also RAT info in MDMA will tell about HSDPA/HSUPA. for more info visit here

Mine shows HSDPA all the time. Anyway will get a new Kerala SIM tomorrow and see if HSPA is coming or not. :p

Back