BSNL 3G Thread

Does MDMA work with Terracom LW273 data card?

If it doesn't , is there any other software which can be used to check the dbm signal strength??

Plz advise guys...

Supra said:
^^ Its -ve so of course lower is is ...its better :p
So you say -73 dbm i got is a weaker signal than other who got -83 dbm.
I am confused because earlier my tata wireless used to show its signal strength and when the external antenna was removed the signal could reach upto - 123 dbm. That
Time display showed no bars.
The technician told the range should be ideally in -5Odbm to -7Odbm.
But that was for cdma wireless.
Are the parameters different for gsm.
The signal strength seems constant throughout even when shifting the phone so signal is even throughout.

vizmax said:
Can anyone confirm that DL Speeds for BSNL 3G in Chennai are capped to 3.6 Mbps?
I use it on my E122 and DL Speeds max out to 3.6 Mbps, however it shows HSPA in Mobile Partner and i get UL speeds 1+ Mbps

Please respond guys.. Whatever I post goes 2-3 pages back since new posts start filling in till the Mod approves my post. I am new here you see! But this thing puts me off.

Ok so as my end of free usage days is fast approaching, i tried again to do a battery of tests from my side. This is what i did to ascertain my speed issue.

1. Downloaded 3-4 .torrent files for a private tracker.
2. Queued 2 of them in symtorrent application on my Nokia 5230.
3. Started downloading 2 of these simultaneously and it attained speeds of upto 140kBps in my home area. This was as expected (read supposedly throttled speed).
4. Keeping the download on i boarded my company bus and as the bus traveled, speeds were fluctuation for obvious reasons.
But still there were couple of sporadic bursts reaching 205 kBps and so. This was first sign that my home area network is throttled.
5. Next when i was in my office area, speeds in symtorrent ran upto 280kBps and many a times kept fluctuating between 200 and 280kBps.

These things confirmed that there is definitely some issue with the tower in my area which is causing lower speeds.

So now how can i complain to BSNL about this. I have already raised a complaint in the link that Supra had given but is there any email id of nodal officer / appalate authority etc whom i can mail ??

Supra said:
-70 dBm is better signal than -90dB. Its a -ve value so like -1 > -2 it works the same way :p
Ok .
Thanks for the explanation.
previously i thought you mentioned -ve is better so i thought more negative was supposed to be better :p
Now its clear i guess.

Today i bough Bsnl 3g and the triband data card 7.2mbps

n1cg09.jpg

aa7nno.jpg

i'm getting minimum of 2.5 mbps..peaks 4.8 mbps..

15fhk44.jpg

I get speeds in the range 3.9-4Mbps consistently.

i checked the signal strength and it is +99dBm.

After searching i found that +99dBm means the signal is undetected or unknown.Is any1 facing the same problem?

var89 said:
Do I need a 3G mobile for using this internet. I Don't have a 3G enabled phone, have only a laptop.
Yes u need one 3G handset which u can connect to ur Laptop... For a Cheaper option buy a 3g modem, Our TE seller is selling for 2.2k shipped or get one from ebay!!

I made a complain through Supra's link and i got a call from BSNL today asking me about my speed issue. They told i should go to the nearest CSC from where i got the SIM and ask them if there is any issue :S

In short no solution in hand :(

Hopefully things will be fine when i get the data card and all in January.

Also i get -77 to -87 dBm signal strength, while on my phone it shows full network. Does this sound good ?

SpaceVoid said:
@manju ... what you sitting on the tower ? :bleh:

Great speeds man.:hap2:

Really, It seems like he is face to face with tower antenna or maybe sitting on the tower. :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vizmax said:
Please respond guys.. Whatever I post goes 2-3 pages back since new posts start filling in till the Mod approves my post. I am new here you see! But this thing puts me off.
I am not from Chennai but generally 3g speed is locked to 3.6mbps in nearly all parts of india except few places.

Back