BSNL 3G Thread

I have question , does our this usb modem (either BSNL's terracom or huwai ) after sometime usage , do they get heat up too much .

I have terra com 7.2 mbps & from today it's getting heat too much , duno wht's wrong .

have changed usb ports but same issue .

any suggestions ?

I get HSDPA / WCDMA in Kolkata, recently visited Nagpur and found very poor signal inside the hotel (Opp to airport) it ranged from 17-21% and surprisingly it was HSPA Download and Upload speed both were pretty bad. In the streets of Nagpur it varied from 71-86%, HSPA and download speed increased but never beyond 1 Mbps and upload speed not more than 100 kbps

CeDrIc said:
Anyone using in Mumbai ? what speeds you getting ?
Using MTNL ...
Speeds are about 232KB/sec to max 31OKB/sec.
The avg is about 175KB/sec.
The speeds are not that great considering their sucky plans and capped speeds.
But WTH I dont care. ;) :p

SpaceVoid said:
^ your location please. Is it bangalore or you in kerala ?

Kottayam, Kerala

BTW in my mobile partner it shows no range while connecting, just shows WCDMA. But after connecting goes to HSPA with range 22-23%. Anything unusual?

Speeds are back to 350KBps anyways.

multi said:
I have question , does our this usb modem (either BSNL's terracom or huwai ) after sometime usage , do they get heat up too much .

I have terra com 7.2 mbps & from today it's getting heat too much , duno wht's wrong .

any suggestions ?
Generally, any modem tends to get heated up. And 3G devices get hot quickly..

Also when I use 3G in my Nokia E52 it gets quite hot while wi-fi, edge dont heat it that much. I found that a little strange.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Did any one of you get more than 7 days of free usage with a new SIM?

I am currently in Surat and had thought of testing my BSNL 3G but i am in such a sucky area that i dont have signals in my airtel, bsnl or reliance. However tata docomo has full strength but no 3G only EDGE so using that to reply here. /rant over :p

akshay7g said:
Kottayam, Kerala

BTW in my mobile partner it shows no range while connecting, just shows WCDMA. But after connecting goes to HSPA with range 22-23%. Anything unusual?

Speeds are back to 350KBps anyways.
It happens in my mobile partner too...

^ In idle mode connection becomes WCDMA and when again data transfer starts it changes to HSDPA/HSPA.

sumatrix said:
I found one more modem which supports 7.2 mbps download and 3.6 mbps upload at 2499 only.maybe we can all start a GO and contact the seller instead of individual purchases?

here is the link

eBay India: 3G HUAWEI E156G USB MODEM 7.2Mbps (item 260690267289 end time 09-Dec-2010 19:49:40 IST)
This also seems to support external antenna.

I also have e156g but it supports 3.6mbps max....

raksrules said:
I am currently in Surat and had thought of testing my BSNL 3G but i am in such a sucky area that i dont have signals in my airtel, bsnl or reliance. However tata docomo has full strength but no 3G only EDGE so using that to reply here. /rant over :p
pull some signals from gannu's tower :p

may be roaming not working for your sim :ashamed:

multi said:

any suggestions ?
it gets heated up (the bsnl one i have ) ...but never stops working cause of that ..i have used it for 72 hours in one go! :)

hayabusa_ryu said:
^ In idle mode connection becomes WCDMA and when again data transfer starts it changes to HSDPA/HSPA.

I also have e156g but it supports 3.6mbps max....
Its getting difficult to believe what these sellers have listed

multi said:
pull some signals from gannu's tower :p

may be roaming not working for your sim :ashamed:
Nah dude. Just the area is sucky. I get proper 3G signals when i am outside in some other area. But something i found different is that in standby mode i see 3G (not 3.5G) under the network bar but as soon as i start some data transfer it changes to 3.5G

raksrules said:
Nah dude. Just the area is sucky. I get proper 3G signals when i am outside in some other area. But something i found different is that in standby mode i see 3G (not 3.5G) under the network bar but as soon as i start some data transfer it changes to 3.5G
This happens even on my dolphin+nokia C5
This i think is done to prevent draining of the battery

Yes its better to be in a small village with 70% signal strength than to be in bangalore with 100% signal strength.

also i contacted a seller on ebay selling E122 modems and asked if he can reduce the price and this was his reply.

"IF YOU MAKE PAYMENT THROUGH PAISAPAY THEN 2500/- PER PIECE.

DIRECT ACCOUNT DEPOSITE 2300/- PER PIECE."

^ Use a discount coupon on that 2500 price rather than make a direct payment. An eBay transaction is safe. If you deal with the person outside and run into issues, eBay will not be able to help you out nor refund your money.

Back