BSNL 3G Thread

Marcus Fenix said:
shucks.

out go my dreams.:(But still haven't some people reported improvement using antennae in this forum.I am not sure if I can remember
try your connectivity @ different location , let's say in drawing room or in terrace & yeah position of USB modem .

it will varies with such way .If you sure your location has poor connectivity , double check it with your nearby tower to see if your device isn't making any trouble .

Dushie said:
I just borrowed a terracom modem of a colleague to check the speeds,i inserted my sim and set up the bsnl software and after connecting it was running really slow, dunno why,i checked the settings, it was on 3g and check signals, they were good, still very low speeds, i tried downloading a 100mb file and it said it will take one hour. Also did the speed test and it is showing .35 mbps download and even lower uploads. I check the network settings, it was showing 3g , checked other details everything seemed alright.

Is there something wrong, why such low speeds even while surfing and downloading. Posting a screenshot below of the bsnl software.

today again i tried connecting again, a different hour to check the speeds, still getting the same low speeds. Any suggestions what to do here. I checked the network and BSNL UMTS was selected. Checked all settings, everything is fine, but very low speeds.

The main use of simple Antenna is to gain Signal from a place where u cannot put ur data card. There are many things that affect the signal going through the external antenna. The most important are :

1. Placement of Antenna in the right direction/height.

2. Type of the cable... Sometimes the longer the cable the useless is the antenna(5-7ft is a good length)

3. Contact of the antenna connector to the port of the data card, means fitting exactly.

I have bought the same magnetic mount antenna but re-assembled it according to my conditions. The things I did are : removed the thin RG174(comes default) and placed RG58 cable(better and has low loss than RG174) and changed the connector(came with TNC connector) to CRC9.

Why some ppl MAYBE getting low/same speed despite of using external antenna? Reasons :

> May be the Signal gain same in data card and in external antenna

> Longer the cable length. Suppose ur external antenna gain is 10dB but the cable u are using has length 20ft and attenuation(signal loss in cable) is 10dB per 20ft, then there is no Signal gain(10dB of antenna gain - 10dB loss in Antenna cable = 0dB gain)

> May be u are in low signal area.

> May be the placement of antenna is wrong, some antenna work better if placed either vertically or horizontally, see antenna details or try placing when u have.

> Maybe ur speed limited to a particular point by ur ISP.

> Maybe 2 antennas causing interference to each other.(as in my case where I use 2 data cards with 2 antennas)

> etc etc...

I am not encouraging to use antennas, I am neutral here so if U find external antenna useless, plz don't blame me.

Will using the longer USB cable that we get on ebay for 75 rupees types, affect the speeds in a negative way since if we put that cable, the length increases a lot and will they have any effect on the speed ?

I guess many people, not opting for antenna use this cable to place the USB modem far off near the window etc to get better connectivity.

raksrules said:
Will using the longer USB cable that we get on ebay for 75 rupees types, affect the speeds in a negative way since if we put that cable, the length increases a lot and will they have any effect on the speed ?

I guess many people, not opting for antenna use this cable to place the USB modem far off near the window etc to get better connectivity.
I have put modem in my gallery window using 3 meter USB cable & actully it does give me UMTS 5 bar signal all time which was earlier 2 bar signal in room .

from my experience don't go for more than 3 meter .

I am using 5M USB cable for keeping modem at window. I am getting 3 HSPA signal bar with this. I usually get 230-280KBps on good seeding torrents.

raksrules said:

Get one with noise filter at both ends. I have this one and it really boosted my signal strength.

raksrules said:

Earlier i used to get 2 bars signal.Then i used 2*5m USB Extension cables(ones with the ferrite cores) to keep the modem in my balcony and voila i got 5 bars signal.

the download speeds jumped from 250kBps to 490-495kBps(occassionally between 550-600kBps).

johndoe104102 said:
Earlier i used to get 2 bars signal.Then i used 2*5m USB Extension cables(ones with the ferrite cores) to keep the modem in my balcony and voila i got 5 bars signal.

the download speeds jumped from 250kBps to 490-495kBps(occassionally between 550-600kBps).
Can you point out which cable is it and from where you got it ?

raksrules said:
Can you point out which cable is it and from you got it ?
+1 to the above

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW I can't find the E122 anywhere.talked to Sunish from Itbazaar.com now and he said he will be getting some UMG1831 modems by Friday.Price will be arnd 2600.Is somebody willing to selltheir E122 as I am not interested in waiting that long for the UMg1831?

^^ Where you got it from and how much....also post the speeds and screenshots of Mobile partner once u test it :)

Awaiting for the results

Ah finally! Recharged with 4200 INR from a dealer - lol he knew better than me and BSNL. :lol:

Speedtest shows a speed of .57~.6 Mbps download and 1.5Mbps whereas downloads from private trackers show a speed of 260kBps max, 220kBps average due to the disconnections and an upload speed of 150kBps. :p

Awesome stuff. My heartfelt thanks to Supra, Vivek and virus32win for all the help and Sunish for the E122 modem. Damn got to buy a pair of 2TB drives now. :p

^ Congrats! :)

For me during the day, the speeds are not so great. Speedtests show speeeds in 300-500kbps range. Youtube videos etc always buffering. A month back it was working great! :(

Although at night, the speeds improve and things are ok. :)

I think after post diwali , people little forgot about 4200 & super mbps speed or they didn't believe that u can get such performance .:p

now a days even on day time , disconnections are little less :D

Back