BSNL 3G Thread

I get frequent disconnections after a regular period of time, but I'm OK with it as long as the speeds are a consistent 200kBps+. LOL I don't crave for 300~500 kBps. Wait a sec, I think utorrent just showed 300kBps. :p

^ There is a disconnection after each 2GB download. I used to get frequent disconnection during daytime and when speeds exceed 750KBps. Anyway got rid of 3G, as my HDD space couldnt keep up. :p

Supra said:
^^ Where you got it from and how much....also post the speeds and screenshots of Mobile partner once u test it :)

Awaiting for the results
Well i got it from Shameer - Modem care from Cochin, the service was fast and good paid 3k for the same. It's a tmobile unlocked modem. It came with T mobile software which does not show much details.Can i use mobile partner with the same. Currently i am on the ground floor of my house and i am getting signals of -91dbm, i checked using MDMA tool. On First floor the signal is much better will check and update how much i get there.

Just did a speed test on the ground floor but it is fluctuating a lot

What is the ideal signal other users are getting to get good speeds upto 3 mbps. Thinking of ways to improve the signal reception.i have tired usb cable with ferrite core, did not make much difference. The above speed test i am getting at -91dBm signals as indicated by MDMA.

Supra said:
^^ Bah u were getting 5 Mbps still u wont want BSNL 3G :p...its cheap even for browsing and occasional downloading :p

Hmm I'm on BSNL H600 combo plan. My parent wouldnt let go off the free calls and no rent stuffs :(

Anyway I need to get a couple of 2TBs first. Damn you Supra. I almost fixed my mind to continue with my BB and there comes your comment :X

Another strange issue, happened, one week unlimited download is there for new connections,i had recharged my phone for Rs 55,and now the balance shows -10, how to complain on this as they should not have deducted my balance as 1 week free unlimited usage is there for new connections. Tried calling 1503 no was coming busy, finally got through was on hold for 10 minutes . Any idea where i can complain or send a complaint email for the same. Any one else facing a similar issue. Also i am getting messages form 50030 everytime after data usage. my message box is getting flooded with their messages.

Finally got my 120/- FRC done today. But getting very poor speeds :(

Signal coverage is more than 90% at my place as per Mobile Phone software. And it shows network as "WCDMA DOLPHIN BSNL Mobile (Roaming)" and sometimes as "HSDPA DOLPHIN BSNL Mobile (Roaming)".

Any tips? I just can't understand what the problem is now. My EVDO connection is faster than this :(

Mohit said:

Signal coverage is more than 90% at my place as per Mobile Phone software. And it shows network as "WCDMA DOLPHIN BSNL Mobile (Roaming)" and sometimes as "HSDPA DOLPHIN BSNL Mobile (Roaming)".

Any tips? I just can't understand what the problem is now. My EVDO connection is faster than this :(
Do Not depend on speedtest.net results.It shows my speed as .3Mb/s but the actual speed i get is around 490-510KB/s.

Download multiple files and then check the download speed.

I tried downloading a single file with utorrent and it was showing around 100KB/s speed. But the browsing seems painfully slow in this maybe because of the higher latency. I guess I will just use this to download stuff and not browse. Will try again with multiple files and post back the results.

multi said:
^ have u done 120/- FRC or 55/- 1st , which 1 is 1st ?
Did the 120 FRC first and got the validity. Then later in the day did the Rs 55 top up as Aunty said internet will not work if you dont have balance.

But today my balance is - 10 and internet stopped working. I have called and raised a complaint. Also i recharged online for Rs 4200 for 6 months plan.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Mohit said:
I tried downloading a single file with utorrent and it was showing around 100KB/s speed. But the browsing seems painfully slow in this maybe because of the higher latency. I guess I will just use this to download stuff and not browse. Will try again with multiple files and post back the results.
You will get the speeds on multiple files so don't try with single file, try multiple files and see the speed. you can also usde MDMA to check the signal you are getting.

At my office i am getting -91dBm signals and speeds are very low but its not disconnecting. At home i am getting 4 signals which is around -71dBm and getting uptp 650kBps download speeds.

I am wondering if with 4 bars i am getting this , what are the speeds one would get with full signals. I tried multiple USB cables, with ferrite cores, 1.5 mtr , but no change in signal strength.

Will adding an Antenna help in improving the signal to get full signal, also which antenna and will it be helpful in any way. If any other user has tested the same and had some success, it would be interesting to know.

I tried multiple files and I am now getting speeds in total upto 260-280 KBps. Decent enough I guess. Will keep you guys updated about the speeds. I am not using any USB extension cable or anything. Just plugged the modem into the front USB slot of my desktop. Signal strength is shown as full using the Mobile Phone software.

Mohit said:

I thought I got some company when I saw this.:no::no:

Mohit said:
I tried multiple files and I am now getting speeds in total upto 260-280 KBps. Decent enough I guess. Will keep you guys updated about the speeds. I am not using any USB extension cable or anything. Just plugged the modem into the front USB slot of my desktop. Signal strength is shown as full using the Mobile Phone software.
Maverick try using the modem connected to the back ports of the PC, usually it is not recommended using the front ports. Rear ports are better, just try and see if it makes any difference.

Anyone experiencing spikes of speeds in Bangalore.....its liek gies to 3 Mbps ...back to no data for 2-5 sec....again spike to 2-3 Mbps next 10 seconds...again no data xfer....happening today only...dunno what is the issue :(

^ After long gap tried BSNL 3G today and the result is very shocking :( Same behavior as you when i try download through IDM and browsing is painfully slow.. Oh BSNL what happend? :(

^^ Ya downloads/torrents are getting stuck....even browsing pages get stuck for 10-15 sec sometimes....dunno what they are experimenting every 7-10 days :mad:

Spikes r very high though.....rching almost 4-5 Mbps

I am experiencing the same spikes and pauses in downloads today but I experience the same every few mins (5-10 mins). I think this is there with the BSNL's entire spectrum of services including broadband as my dataone connections also stop data transfer every few minutes. I hope they fix this soon. I was to watch Action Replay today but the 3G connection did not let me complete the download from my seedbox to my local drive. Hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow.

Back