BSNL 3G Thread

Okay... Got a first recharge of 120 which credited 150 rupees to my account balance.Thats talktime balance.

Now for the speed.Using the bluetooth method and dialing the connection I get 100KBps download on torrents.I suppose the bluetooth is responsible for the throttling.So next thing I downloaded Pc suite and connected my 5230 via USB , and voila .... The speed bumped to 250KBps max and steady at 200-225 KBps.I guess that will do for me.

Okay... Got a first recharge of 120 which credited 150 rupees to my account balance.Thats talktime balance.

Wow can you tell me where are you from ? Also its the First recharge of Rs 120 right....did u get it from BSNL CSC ? Actually I have a free 3G sim which I got so have to do a First recharge on it. Can you do a *123# ....it will show u the data balance also what u got free and if you send BAL to 123 it should show you the free sms etc. Also wats the validity is it 6 months ? Have to check if we can get the FRC also done from a retailer instead of going to CSC

Damn it according to BSNL website http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/3G/3G_files/prepaid.htm

it indeed comes with Rs 150 balance now ( 100 on-net + 50 off-net)....check the 120 column

^^ Thanks dude..

another query...

Shall I take the data card provided by bsnl or a 3rd party one will be better..

I may use airtel some time, will the bsnl card support sim change?

If not any suggestions for a 3rd party usb based modem (preferably, 7.2mbps)

^^ Buy an Huawei E122/E1750 from ebay.in....they support HSDPA 7.2 Mbps , PC calling/sms are unlocked to any network. Costs arnd 2.5k~2.7k

@supra ... I am from Goa.I got the sim from BSNL exchange (csc) itself as its hardly a KM from my place.Its a small town so not many early adopters I guess.After the sim got activated yesterday late in the evening I tried checking the balance on it by dialing *123# it showed balance NULL and validity for 15 days from yesterday.It was able to receive incoming calls.

So Today I recharged it with 120 rupees (easy recharge as you say) and to my shock I found 150 rupees in the balance.Because normally we never get full talktime and this time it was more than the recharge amount itself.So checked it on the 3g site and found out it was correct.

When I do a *123# ... it shows a menu dial 1 for balance,2 for DAY GPRS, 3 for ..... etc.

After some rigorous testing on different kinds of downloads when I checked the "DAY gprs" to see the amount left..it showed 7MB. Last test I did which was to download a 15MB file and as expected when I checked the balance, the balance now seemed depleted by some rupees.So the 200MB is over ... :) On checking it shows "Your voice bundle is empty".

Validity is 6 months.

:)

Ya confirmed the same from CSC guys over phone now. Frustrating thing is that I got this sim for Free ( actual price : Rs 59) on 18th with a free 3G voucher that came along with my landline. Now they were supposed to do this Rs 120 FRC also for free but somehow they are saying now FRC is not free :p...so I will have to do a FRC of 120 on my 2nd BSNL 3G sim :p

@SpaceVoid, awesome speed man in torrent.... So ppl here are getting averagely above 2mbps. Anyone getting above 3mbps continuously(for 3.6mbps connection)?

Guys some more confusion ...:p

I went there again to get a 1499 recharge done on my sim.But the system is not allowing it.The fellow over there first told me the 1499 plan does not exist.I had to go inside and show him the bsnl's website on his pc.Then he insisted its for data card only.Then somehow he said ok get the 1499 recharge done.He did, he says the system accepts the 1499 code but it then gives some error.He went on to say it might not have been implemented in our circle (Maharashtra & Goa).But I doubt it.May be its a temporary technical glitch.Now I have to try again tomorrow.

My question now is ... Is this 1499 recharge (easy recharge) same as a "Data Recharge Voucher" as it says on the bsnl's page. Or does that fellow has to put some special codes for "data recharge vouchers" ( mind you I asked this same thing to him too ...he said its the same.But it might not be, as this 3G thingy is pretty new and I doubt some people have for data recharge's or not).

Sorry guys for adding to the confusion... :p

I dont think any special technique/code required for data recharge or for 3G. Everything is through either E-Recharge or E-Topup and in your case data recharge should be done through E-Recharge. The guy might be true, that they may not implemented this 1499 plan as this new plan. And for your information whenever bsnl introduce new plans its their corporate office who decides and state level/circle specific bsnl will take some time to implement, then only you can utilize this plan. AFAIK atleast in karnataka and in tamilnadu bsnl implemented that plan :)

Supra said:
^^ Buy an Huawei E122/E1750 from ebay.in....they support HSDPA 7.2 Mbps , PC calling/sms are unlocked to any network. Costs arnd 2.5k~2.7k
How is the UMG181 and E160E? Both support 7.2Mbps. E1750 doesn't have an external antenna port and E122 my router doesn't support! :(

E1750 is based one of the latest Qualcomm chipsets and gets very good signal. Make sure whatever you buy supports at least still HSDPA 7.2 Mbps and HSUPA 2Mbps/5.76Mbps as HSUPA is more of a firmware upgrade from 2 Mbps to 5.76 Mbps :)

Not much idea about UMG181/E160E will do some research and let u know.

here is a page where you can have details about 3G modems :

Huawei E1750 - 3G modem wiki

^ Oh ok. Thanks for the info.

But the only issue with E1750 is that it doesn't have an external antenna port. Do you know of any other modems which support 7.2mbps and has external antenna port?

Only the following modems are supported by my router

AIRCARD 901

BASE e.plus E169

ChangHong CH600

ChangHe 868

CCU 680

CCU 650

Intertel leader C810

CM810EV

DTM 5731E

DLINK_DWM_162U5

DCWL 390

EV2000

GXZG GX100C

HUAWEI EC122

HUAWEI EC226

HUAWEI EC169

HUAWEI EC1260_China

HUAWEI EC1260_New

HUAWEI EC1260_India

HUAWEI EC1261

HUAWEI EC168C_Reliance

HUAWEI EC168C_Tata

HUAWEI ET128

HUAWEI MD-@ HSUPA

HUAWEI E160E

HUAWEI E1550

HUAWEI E1750

HUAWEI E176G

HUAWEI E176 Chile

HUAWEI E180

HiNet E220

LKT 828

MACAO CTM H21

MC727

Tenda 3G189C

TURKCELL E176G

Vodafone E220

Vodafone K3520

Vtion E1916

WM2080A-110

WEWINS U602D

ZTE MU350

ZTE MU351

ZTE MF622

ZTE MF627

ZTE MF637U

ZTE AC2726

ZTE AC2736

ZTE AC2746

ZTE AC2726 Reliance

ZTE AC560 New

ZTE AC560

ZTE AC580

ZTE AC581

ZTE AC581 New

ZTE AC8710

ZTE AC8700 BSNL

ZTE AC8710 TATA

CRICKET UM185C

CRICKET A600

T-Mobile UMG18

I have been using the 3.6 mbps datacaed by huawei, tower is kinda very near to my home and it gives me almost 2MBPS speeds.

Very no'ob question but I'd rather ask then end up making a fool out of myself.. BSNL website shows 1359 as UL Data plan, the call package is Rs. 99. Now my question is since most of us have been discussing about Prepaid UL plans, does some one have a postpaid UL BSNL Plan? If yes, can some one tell me whats the procedure to buy, and activate 3G services... I am pretty much confounded here !!!

Marathalli is like over 2-3 km area....at one end u might get 100 kbps and other end near tower 2 Mbps. Get a prepaid 3G sim card and test it out yourself and do remember to post your experiences.

Go to nearest BSNL CSC and get a 3G sim for Rs 59 and do a FRC (First Recharge) of RS 120....once all done....test out the speeds with the promotional 200 MB balance. Once all is fine do a Rs 1499 recharge to get UL data for 30 days :)...sorry but there is no shortcut to this :p

One more suggestion please read through the thread ...its only 160 posts...u will gain a lot of things on all the requirements :)

Back