BSNL 3G Thread

Guys after banging my head for the entire night I think I finally understood their funda.The First recharge of 120 is for a "3g tariff plan" which is different than a "3g data plan". Both are different things. When one does a 120 recharge he is basically activating a 3g voice plan which also comes with some 200MB of data usage.

For activating "3g data plan" one has 2 options.Either get a data card with them and get a 51 rupee recharge (this 51 comes with the datacard bundled and cannot be had separately) OR if you already have a third party datacard then you need to recharge with 99 rupees recharge.This recharge basically activates "3G data plan" on your mobile.Now you can go ahead and get the required data plan mentioned.This step I missed.I went in for a direct recharge of 1499 and the system bumped up an error.

Now to test my theory ... after few hours.Will keep posted. :)

Edit: Before coming to the above conclusion, I had made a hurried recharge via the portal of 1500.It got debited but I got no confirmation whatsoever in the morning.I was not worried about it as if some problem does occur the refund will take place.At 9:30Am I got a confirmation sms stating my recharge of 1500 was successful.So i plugged it to the pc downloaded some 25MB and now the balance is not getting depleted.I suppose the recharge seems to be working.Also got a month validity extended.

Verdict:I am now uber confused.:S But I hope I am now on unlimited.Let me check it for a day and report back. :hap2:

Which Data card will be better compare to price and after sale service ?

From BSNL or third party ?

We need unlocked Data card with good quality hardware and which will support next gen SIM from other operators like Airtel,Reliance too etc......

@spacevoid, remember to post the screenshot of 3g speed.

@Revoltution, Any unlocked data card which meet standards of Indian 3g operating frequency(2100Mhz-UMTS) can work with BSNL etc. I think if u buy from bsnl it will cost higher but outside it costs very low. Last time I asked for BSNL Huawei 7.2mbps price and BSNL CS told that these are costing 3800/- per unit but we can get the same type data card for lower in the market. Remember to have data card which is better reviewed, latest and come with external antenna port.

@ Spacevoid : How did u do the recharge of Rs 1500 via portal cant find any data recahrge option for the same ? And rs 1499 is the recharge amount for UL data

its not been updated. although i have found a way to do it. but havent "done" it yet. but the error checking all is pass.

@supra... yes you are correct regd the 1500 vs 1499 amount.

I went to https://portal.bsnl.in/rc/aspxfiles/login.aspx , After login in you will get " 3G DATA RECHARGE VOUCHERS (Applicable for all the 3G Customers Only)" Click on it and it gets me to ...

After you input the phone number ... just leftclick outside and it loads the denominations below.It shows all the prepaid plans correctly except the 1499 one,it shows it as 1500.Donno why! Then it gets to the pay-up page and you know the rest :)

Finally bought the Huawei UMG181 for 2.1k using the Vodafone Coupon! :)

Btw for activating the unlimited plan, do I have to go to a BSNL CSC? Or can I do a flexi recharge for Rs 1499 online? Will it work? Or Can I just do a recharge for Rs 1499 at a local recharge shop?

I checked the 3G Recharge Vouchers in BSNL online portal but the 1500/1499 plan is not displayed. :(

Gaurish said:
Hey, what is the funda behind this Vodafone Coupon what you got such a huge discount. How can I get one?
It is only for Vodafone Mumbai subscribers and you get 25% off on your order (upto how max rupees i dont know)

One thing I have noticed is, the speed reduces drastically when the signal level goes down.On the nokia 5230 there are 7 bars of signal indicator.I usually get 5-6 and rarely 7.When its on 5 or more the speed is upwards of 2mbps, the moment it drops to 3 the speed drops and hits rock bottom.The level keeps on wavering and hence the graph too waves up and down.A massive battery drainer.A 2 hour usage with battery on FULL depletes the battery by half.The mobile also gets warm :p

Single threaded downloads using FF's inbuilt downloader literally crawls.6-8 threads is good enough to achieve max download speed.Shared IP address.For the past 2 days I m on the same IP.

Just some more screenshots ....

Torrents (private)

Rapidshare

It took 35 minutes to upload that 93 MB file.

Ping Results

IDM

Havent yet got a chance of uploading on torrents so cant check it as yet.

uploading speed is really very very bad. BTW Very nice speed u are getting.... Good luck dude

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

what data card are u using?

^ No data card ... I am presently tethering the nokia 5230 to my pc via USB.Using OVI suite 2.2 to connect. Nokia pc suite has disconnection issues.Even then still faced 2 disconnections today.

Back