BSNL 3G Thread

^mjeri ...Thanks for the reply bro. But wont just plain recharge or top just add balance to the card ? How will it know to activate the unlimited plan ? You getting my point naa.... I mean plain recharging will only either increase the validity or credit the balance on the sim. How to activate the unlimited plan on it ? Like for Airtel we dial *567# and send few sms commands which activates a certain gprs plan on it. How to do that here in case of BSNL 3G .. ? I dont want to end up with 1500 rupees worth of talktime :p

no no ur right...

i meant the exact amount from the tariff page... just 1500 will be top up.

Plz dont confuse ppl...if you are not sure :p

@ SpaceVoid --- Once your 3G sim is active and you are able to make calls/check balance via *123#, make sure you are getting 3G signal and also checkout the speeds as you wil have some promo of 200 MB . If all is satisfactory do an Easy-recharge of Rs 1499....plz take care the retailer doesn't do an e-topup

@supra .. Yeah I think thats the wise thing to do.I ll wait for the sim to be activated first,check the signal/speed and then go after this data plans.

^^

Please test out the speeds for a day or two completely and at all places you intend to use at before committing on the 1499 UL data plan. Also post ur review once u do all of it :)

@space..

if ur in city limits chances are you signal speeds will be ok.

U can get the mobitv to check the streaming speeds, its fun to watch TV in mobile. If you doing via a CSC do a video call. most prolly the someone there will be having a demo phone. u can call to that. if u got that feature that is.

So, i have a BSNL 3G sim card and i get around 3mbps speeds form it and around 1mbps uploads from my nexus one.What's my next step?

Supra said:
Plz dont confuse ppl...if you are not sure :p

@ SpaceVoid --- Once your 3G sim is active and you are able to make calls/check balance via *123#, make sure you are getting 3G signal and also checkout the speeds as you wil have some promo of 200 MB . If all is satisfactory do an Easy-recharge of Rs 1499....plz take care the retailer doesn't do an e-topup

Hey Supra, what do you mean by this ??

Asking because last time i wanted to get the unlimited 2G GPRS activated on my Pune BSNL SIM, i just went to a nearby kirana shop and told him to recharge for 274, he said "aaisa koi recharge nahi hai". So i insisted him to recharge at my risk and paid him. I got the messages that account has been recharged for 274 rupees and talktime is 0 which implicitly meant that my UL GPRS had started.

I guess it should be similar for this 3G too.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

RedBull said:
So, i have a BSNL 3G sim card and i get around 3mbps speeds form it and around 1mbps uploads from my nexus one.What's my next step?
You mean you checked these speeds now using the promo 200 MB data ? If that is the case then simply get a recharge of 1499 to get UL 1 month 3G on your phone.

@Supra

Please confirm

^^

Actually thats coz of BSNL itself. they do not update their retailers of their new offers or anything. everything in time only. so maybe they are not sure. This is what the CSC at tvm told me. and he also said that recharge cannot be done at retailers but BSNL offices only. dunno if true or not. I use online portal anyways.

ps. they havent updated the 1499 yet. rest all are up. :S.

Hey Supra, what do you mean by this ??

Asking because last time i wanted to get the unlimited 2G GPRS activated on my Pune BSNL SIM, i just went to a nearby kirana shop and told him to recharge for 274, he said "aaisa koi recharge nahi hai". So i insisted him to recharge at my risk and paid him. I got the messages that account has been recharged for 274 rupees and talktime is 0 which implicitly meant that my UL GPRS had started.

I guess it should be similar for this 3G too.

Yes if you do an easy recharge of 1499 if it says that recharge cannot be done may be the plan is not yet implemented. If its sucees you will get sms with that Rs 1499 E-Recharge is successful with 0 talktime. That means good to go for UL 30 days :)...no need to go to CSC....just make sure to do easy-recharge only and not top up. Also at 1499 retailer will have quite a good margin of 2% ....so you can ask for some discounts as well :rofl:

Can we get some speedtest screenies plz...try to tether it to the PC and check the speeds via 2-3 speedtest servers to get more consistency. I am surpised to see 1 mbps upload speeds as BSNL 3G AFAIK doesn't support HSUPA even in areas where it supports HSDPA 7.2 Mbps

Just go to a retailer/BSNL CSC and get a Easy-Rceharge of Rs 1499 done :)

^^Took the Some months back when it launched and gave speeds of 3mbps then.Now it shows balance as Zero and validity as 05/08/2010/...what amount should i recharge to extend validity?Then i will tether and post speed screens.

^^ So both ur balance and validity is over....may be you are in the grace period...for now I will suggest you to do a Easy Recharge of Rs 55 Online via BSNL Portal

BSNL Portal || Online Payments -- Landline bills-Cellone Bills-Online recharge

Go for Regular Voice Vouchers Applicable for 2G & 3G Customers>> 1st option >>recharge your mobile

Once you do that you will get a talktime of arnd 35-40 bucks + some 15 days validity. You can do the speedtest also then (charges will be Rs 1 per MB)...once all is fine go to nearest BSNL/CSC and do an easy-recharge of Rs 1499

^^called up my usual retailer and he is calling the customer care now.My plan is/was General 120.When i got the SIM, they were not charging for download for that day, i easily downloaded 2gb+ in less than 3hours and the next day onwards, they started charging normally.

Update: He is saying I have to recharge for either 550 or 1100,giving 6 months and 1 year validity respectively.

I had got a 3G sim about a month back and had a free promo usage of 200 MB valid for a month. Now the free period is over and I am not even able to browse using 3G. The accesspoint I am using is 'bsnlnet' and I get an error asking me to check the settings.

Is there any rental free plan where you pay per usage or do I have to recharge for some data plan to check the 3G speeds? Btw GPRS also is not working in 2G mode.

Just did the recharge and got some 400 bucks talktime as well.My rig is right now where EVDO signal strength is maximum but the 3G speeds here is sucking with frequent cut offs.

Just did the recharge and got some 400 bucks talktime as well.My rig is right now where EVDO signal strength is maximum but the 3G speeds here is sucking with frequent cut offs.

So u did a Rs 550 recharge I guess....you could have done a small Rs 55/110 recharge online itself :p

I had got a 3G sim about a month back and had a free promo usage of 200 MB valid for a month. Now the free period is over and I am not even able to browse using 3G. The accesspoint I am using is 'bsnlnet' and I get an error asking me to check the settings.

LOL for BSNL for GPRS ur balance have to be at least above 50 I think :p...do a Rs 110 recharge online and you can use pay per use model....Rs 1 per Mb ( 1 p per 10KB)

^^Still no go......very frequent drop out with signal.Called JTO who lives nearby and he said he would check with datacard today or tomorrow and update me on the speed.Also, acknowledged the 1499/- UL plan and said the tower nearest to us(some .5Km) is 3G enabled as well.Told him that i used to get awesome speeds when i took the connection and he doesn't think it got anything to do with the number of users.The same tower gives 1.5mbps average speed for EVDO,hopefully 3G gets sorted soon.

Supra said:
LOL for BSNL for GPRS ur balance have to be at least above 50 I think :p...do a Rs 110 recharge online and you can use pay per use model....Rs 1 per Mb ( 1 p per 10KB)

But when I had the free promo, my balance was only 20 Rs and it still used to work. Actually I got the sim for free from college with 1000 Free SMS, 200 MB Data Usage, 100 Min Video Calls and 20 Rs TT.

So if I have a balance above Rs 50, even 3G Internet will start working rt? On pay per use plan? Will recharge for Rs 110 online and see! :)

Edit : Wow! Just recharged for Rs 110 and it started working! :p Thank you! :)

Speedtest @ Chennai with 5/7 bars.

Not bad! :)

Back