BSNL 3G Thread

But wont 3G face the same issues as we face with EDGE/GPRS now ?
Like proximity to tower, number of people accessing 3G, connected to same tower, thus reducing the speed (may be drastically) ??
I guess since as of now there are just handful of people leveraging 3G bandwidth fully and hence we get great speeds but scenario may be difference with more people getting 3G.

@raksrules, this is what what i am saying since beginning. The number of user increases the speed will decrease therefore I prefer data card with external antenna port.

^the data limits will be for the user and not the carrier.
I for one was told that loop in mumbai gives out 12mbps data on a single tower(EDGE N/W).
So then even on edge there were loads of bandwidth given. but not experienced because they were giving promotional offers of free internet.
For 3g, networks will increase their capacities no doubt but i doubt all people are using ten mbps phones around sucking their bandwidth.
Another example of utilisation i can give is aircel gives cheap internet but poor speeds. (same reason as above)
Then many migrated to tata docomo for their relatively cheap package even then speeds have not dropped there .
So it all ends upon better utilisation of the resources.

raksrules said:
But wont 3G face the same issues as we face with EDGE/GPRS now ?

Like proximity to tower, number of people accessing 3G, connected to same tower, thus reducing the speed (may be drastically) ??

I guess since as of now there are just handful of people leveraging 3G bandwidth fully and hence we get great speeds but scenario may be difference with more people getting 3G.

That is correct. Plus the problem is that the operators have paid a HUGE price for small pieces of spectrum and in case of 3G, the limited amount they have affects their capabilities to add more users a lot unlike EVDO. So, you can be sure that there is going to be a very high contention ratio if the operators have to actually recover their investment and make profits.

What this means is that you will see better speeds in general but don't assume them to be consistent all the time even if you don't location based variance into picture. Also, the max speeds would go down as 3G catches on and you'd be hard pressed to get anywhere near the theoretical through put limits..

the limited amount they have affects their capabilities to add more users a lot unlike EVDO

Well I dont understand what you meant by that. The HSPA+ n/w that most of the players are deploying is far more advanced and better in utilization of resources than ageold EVDO. All depends on the backbone that will be served to each 3G BTS/tower and I am sure once 3G is fully into place ADSL connections will become far far more cheaper and as such its not gonna be like people downloading more than 10GB per mnth from their 3G connection after the initial euphoria gets over. May be when we find ADSL 2 Mbps UL connections well below 1k then anyway wireless connections would be used only for mobile browsing/you tube/social networking. Tethering will not be the driving factor for sure ! Also providers like Aircel/Docomo will surely offer some awesome data packs....999 per month for Unlimited 3G at least from Aircel. Remember per user ARPU in India is just 150 bucks or so ! For 3G max they can think per user will be arnd 500 bucks or so....above that services wont take off at all . Its better to have 10k ppl using 999 unlimited pack rather than 500 people taking up a 1299 25GB FUP 3G plan. Afterall speeds anyway will be shared on a 3G network much more than on ADSL....that they operators can be much more profitable :)

^^ I just meant that whatever advances are made, at heart, there is still a TDMA core which has very low spectral efficiency as compared to its CDMA-lineage counterparts. So, given the same bandwidth the 3G operators can accommodate very few users. So, to get to similar levels, they have to up the contention ratios quite a bit.

Rest I agree with you and share/echo the same thing that these connections would serve best for mobile/frequent/backup use instead of primary use.

e122 - external antenna support , 7.2 / 2. 0 UL (Most 2.0UL HSPA devices are 5.76 ready)

e220 - mini usb,no sd and external antenna support , old model and requires a FW upgrade for 7.2DL afaik

@ggt, I already know what u said but the problem is service quality of bsnl. remember what happened to bsnl EVDO, even user with 500m radius aren't getting good speed. I just saying that I don't have any expectations from BSNL. One guy(made a thread) here facing the speed problem @ night and yes I also felt decrease in 3g speed these days. Let's wait and watch.

@supra, that antenna is very good with the right connector. But we can also get magnetic mount omni antenna in local market too for 100-150/- with 3-6db gain(i think) + antenna cable type and length also matters.

Check this--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable

Also i am sure that say only 5 out of 100 people in a specific area and having BSNL 3G will be utilizing it fully, like keeping 24/7 downloads etc. Most may use for normal internet surfing (for which even EDGE will suffice for them) and may be video calling when that picks up.

Supra said:
This is one good external antenna....SMA antenna is seperate and one base mounting kit + SMA to CRC9 converter....great bundle for 750 bucks :D

eBay India: 3G 9dB magnetic mount antenna CRC9 connector E160 (item 390149026706 end time 25-Oct-2010 07:13:21 IST)
the male right angled one is also used on Tata indicom walky phones.
i think i might be having an extra one :eek:hyeah:(left out because i had connectivity problems on old area.) the service person gave it for free.
if any body has a tata indicom walky phone at home one can try them.

@raks, nah.... here in my place if bsnl 3g get cheap, every user will use it for 24*7 except the office and professional guys. Ppl here even don't leave Airtel edge even if it gives 5kBps speed. :p

Guys I am now severely confused.Today I went to the local BSNL exchange and got myself a 3G sim.Its not yet activated. I asked the person on the counter that I want to activate the 1499 data plan on it. She told me that 1499 plan is only applicable on DATA card which costs some 2700/-. Now Is that true ? Cant I top up/recharge my present 3G sim with the 1499 and get unlimited 3G on it ?? I am confused ..... somebody please clear this confusion of mine.

Back