BSNL 3G Thread

I think the ipad plan is applicable only with the microsim (that goes into ipad, different from normal sim) provided by BSNL. Don't know whether same will be applicable for normal one's as well.

Nobody checks for anything take the form, fill it, let it activate , recharge n then enjoy, BSNL is a govt office, not an income tax office to come and raid, i didnt take my BB along with me to get the connection, my cousin did it for me while the phone was with me

bigbyte said:
I think the ipad plan is applicable only with the microsim (that goes into ipad, different from normal sim) provided by BSNL. Don't know whether same will be applicable for normal one's as well.

IINW, normal SIMs and microSIMs differ only in the form factor. Otherwise they are entirely the same. So it shouldn't make a difference.

ryanrulez4ever said:
Hi Guys, Got my BSNL BB configured and activated using the 991 unltd 3G recharge and these are the speeds im getting as shown below, but sometimes its like 400-500kbps and at times shoots till 4mbps though my phone is a 3.5mbps HSPA device just wondering how its possible a difference upto 10 times ? same location, same device !

Are you doing speed test with opera mobile browser?

How exactly are you guys getting these speeds?

I may have made a mistake by getting the adapter that BSNL sells - it's a 'Capitel' 7.2Mbps dongle, I never get speeds of more than 2Mbps/300kbps (speedtest) and no better than 1Mbps/200kbps in real life. Plus latency is terrible - it takes about 4-8 seconds for a page load request to complete, and when one page is loading you can't request a second one. On the plus side it never disconnects or heats up, unlike some of the other modems I've been reading about.

So how are people getting those speeds? Is it just a sucky modem in my case?

gcbeldar said:
Nope.

@cranky: a colleague of mine got hold of a BSNL modem itself. 7.2 mbps. White in appearance. He reported some good speeds in excess of 3 mbps here in Surat. I hope the location isn't a hindrance in your case. Where are you ATM? Kolkata or Bangalore or Delhi? You should have just got the sim IMO. The Huawei E122 modem is pretty good.

Just wanted to try out 3g here in Mysore so just wanted some Info.
I want a connection for just 1 month as of now and it should be unlimited, so is there any plan that i can go for? I read a few pages back about the Ipad plan, not sure if thats the best one though :ashamed:
Also i hope the microsims wont be a problem in E122 modems.

cranky said:

I may have made a mistake by getting the adapter that BSNL sells - it's a 'Capitel' 7.2Mbps dongle, I never get speeds of more than 2Mbps/300kbps (speedtest) and no better than 1Mbps/200kbps in real life. Plus latency is terrible - it takes about 4-8 seconds for a page load request to complete, and when one page is loading you can't request a second one. On the plus side it never disconnects or heats up, unlike some of the other modems I've been reading about.

We can't blame BSNL USB adapter for those speeds. Most probably in north region BSNL has poor network coverage in many area's and maximum of 3.5 Mbps speed by default. They are going to improve coverage along bandwidth upgrade of 14.4Mbps by Feb-march 2011.

apextwin146 said:
Just wanted to try out 3g here in Mysore so just wanted some Info.

I want a connection for just 1 month as of now and it should be unlimited, so is there any plan that i can go for? I read a few pages back about the Ipad plan, not sure if thats the best one though :ashamed:

Also i hope the microsims wont be a problem in E122 modems.
I just took a 3G sim here. 17X bucks.

some 2GB free and all..

do the 999 or something

virus32win said:
We can't blame BSNL USB adapter for those speeds. Most probably in north region BSNL has poor network coverage in many area's and maximum of 3.5 Mbps speed by default. They are going to improve coverage along bandwidth upgrade of 14.4Mbps by Feb-march 2011.

OMG :O I will shift to 3G once this is done :p

My friend here has got a BSNL 3G Modem. I suppose it is of Brand Teracom and max capacity is 7.2 Mbps. He is facing a strange issue wherein after plugging the modem in PC/Laptop, the speaker sound in the PC/Laptop turns off. He checked with his roomie's laptop and there too same issue persists :S

Any solution ?

raksrules said:
My friend here has got a BSNL 3G Modem. I suppose it is of Brand Teracom and max capacity is 7.2 Mbps. He is facing a strange issue wherein after plugging the modem in PC/Laptop, the speaker sound in the PC/Laptop turns off. He checked with his roomie's laptop and there too same issue persists :S

Any solution ?
This could be due to disabled audio device to avoid interference with the Installation of USB card, enable audio device from the device manager.

cranky said:

Your modem is fine, its very difficult to get such speeds in daytime, so people get up at 3/4 AM and take such speedtest snapshots ;)

Back