BSNL 3G Thread

I am getting maximum of 2mbps in MTNL Mumbai network using BSNL maharashtra Sim. The sustained speed are always around 1mbps. MDMA shows negotiated QOS of 384kbps UL and 2048kbps DL.

When I use MTNL sim, I get maximum of 384kbps. MDMA shows negotiated QOS of 384kbps UL and DL. Have complained MTNL about this as it seems they are capping my download speed.

I am using UMG1831.

^^^ Lets hope so its just not one of these babu promises and they really upgrade their networks.....
But a more imp thing would be to penetrate into interiors with the 3G coverage and solving the congestion issue on their networks ATM.
In my area I get 4mbps in morning till abt 10am and after that achieving 2mbps is also a struggle... :( This gets worse in evening when its hard to get 1mbps at abt 5-8pm ....
After digging a lot and talking with the core guys who manage all this ... they had confirmed that its just due to congestion and nothing else....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW I would be more than happy even if I get 3Mbps consistently which shd not be a problem if the networks are upgraded to 14mbps :)

apextwin146 said:
Just wanted to try out 3g here in Mysore so just wanted some Info.
I want a connection for just 1 month as of now and it should be unlimited, so is there any plan that i can go for? I read a few pages back about the Ipad plan, not sure if thats the best one though :ashamed:
Also i hope the microsims wont be a problem in E122 modems.
Anyone?
/*Specific plans please, otherwise Aunties there will take me for a ride */

No need of mentioning any plans :p

I had done the 991 easy recharge long back and it had worked :p

Just do a recharge (not topup) of Rs 991/999. Also you have to make sure you are on a 3G Plan with 3G properly working on a 3G sim/2G migrated to 3G sim.

Read somewhere in a forum that someone used a Stainless steel BOWL to boost signal level and download speeds. Never believed this. But it gave me an idea.

I took a stainless steel bowl kept it inverted and put my UMG1831 over it. No gain in signals, but this bowl now acts as heatsink. Now the modem gets warm but never heats up. Running continuously since 8hrs.

firstn.jpg

secondf.jpg

Finally there was signal with the UMG1831+BSNL 3G sim , it seems the mobile partner softare that came bundled was faulty ( call it old) , new version did the job .

BUT now, there is another problem ,

--- I make a profile enter APN as "bsnlnet"

--- i click connect , its connected to the 2G BSNl network , there is no UMTS /HSDPA there , just EDGE .

--- in the tools>network>register> Manual> i can See Cellone (2G) (3G) , but i can not sellect UMTS any where.

--- It the lower left of the window it says EDGE BSNL 3G , whats that supposed to mean ! :S

Please help how do i change the network to UMTS/HSDPA?

strategy said:
Finally there was signal with the UMG1831+BSNL 3G sim , it seems the mobile partner softare that came bundled was faulty ( call it old) , new version did the job .

BUT now, there is another problem ,

--- I make a profile enter APN as "bsnlnet"

--- i click connect , its connected to the 2G BSNl network , there is no UMTS /HSDPA there , just EDGE .

--- in the tools>network>register> Manual> i can See Cellone (2G) (3G) , but i can not sellect UMTS any where.

--- It the lower left of the window it says EDGE BSNL 3G , whats that supposed to mean ! :S

Please help how do i change the network to UMTS/HSDPA?
Well my account is uder moderation. So, let me PM you what to do :)

^^ EDGE is the type of signal u r getting and BSNL 3G is the operator name(which is read from the SIM).
Simply all this means that you are not getting 3G signals... Try using it on the terrace/ near the window or an open area if u have a laptop just to check if u get 3G signals which means MP shd say WCDMA BSNL 3G instead of EDGE BSNL 3G.
Confirm that you have the settings as below.
In MP->Options -> Network ->
Network Type = WCDMA Preferred.
Band -> All bands.
Hope that helps....

bigbyte said:
Read somewhere in a forum that someone used a Stainless steel BOWL to boost signal level and download speeds. Never believed this. But it gave me an idea.

I took a stainless steel bowl kept it inverted and put my UMG1831 over it. No gain in signals, but this bowl now acts as heatsink. Now the modem gets warm but never heats up. Running continuously since 8hrs.

firstn.jpg

secondf.jpg
ha ha awesome :rofl:

Will try out, but i will have to say UMG 1831 some times gets over heatedand some times isn't that hot. So i guess its either network strength related or amt. of download which affects.

Getting better signals at home. looks like BSNL have put up a new tower somewhere close by :p never used to get better signals than -95dB.

aaand the results are as follows :p

onlyravi said:
^^ EDGE is the type of signal u r getting and BSNL 3G is the operator name(which is read from the SIM).

Simply all this means that you are not getting 3G signals... Try using it on the terrace/ near the window or an open area if u have a laptop just to check if u get 3G signals which means MP shd say WCDMA BSNL 3G instead of EDGE BSNL 3G.

Confirm that you have the settings as below.

In MP->Options -> Network ->

Network Type = WCDMA Preferred.

Band -> All bands.

Hope that helps....
WIth teracom cheap 3.6Mbps modem i get 3g signal ( though a bit low )

and this is triband Modem, WTH is wrong with it! , why is it not getting signal ! :mad:

WTF!! !%#$^%!$#

I bought this so that i wont have to use Antenna !

SunnyBoi said:
Getting better signals at home. looks like BSNL have put up a new tower somewhere close by :p never used to get better signals than -95dB.

aaand the results are as follows :p

And I remember you telling me that you're bored of downloading. B33ch !! :p

BSNL 3G is pathetically slow today in Hyderabad from evening hardly getting 30 - 45 KB speeds, earlier in the mornings was getting 2 - 4 Mbps is any one else facing this issue, or is this a frequent thing in the evenings are every one logs on after office hours and the speeds tank down, Sorry for asking just started using BSNL 3G again after a couple of months.

raksrules said:
My friend here has got a BSNL 3G Modem. I suppose it is of Brand Teracom and max capacity is 7.2 Mbps. He is facing a strange issue wherein after plugging the modem in PC/Laptop, the speaker sound in the PC/Laptop turns off. He checked with his roomie's laptop and there too same issue persists :S
Any solution ?
24bmcur.jpg

just click that button of "Audio Device" 1 or 2 time , sound will come back .

I have similar issue before & found this after little R & D ;)

Back