BSNL 3G Thread

@amitsg : thanks got to know now.

@RS4 : Can I do 58 rs. recharge outside also or I need to do it in CSC only?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also do I have to do anything else to activate 3g services on my phone?

^^Keep your phone in dual mode or UMTS/HSDPA mode to get 3G access, i dont know anything about rs 51 recharge as its not listed on any website, rs 58 and rs 120 FRC are safe as many members have opted for these two FRC.

EDIT: It seems you can get the FRC done at other shops also but i dont have any experience in getting it done outside.

amitstg said:
According to bsnl site :: BSNL 3G :: Prepaid all FRC's are entitle to get one week unlimited data usage from date of activation.

Anyone tried FRC other than 120 ?
Yes worked with the 120 as well as the Rs51 FRC.
If you do the Rs51 FRC the SIM card is treated as a Data Card SIM. Nothing differs from a normal SIM.

CeDrIc said:
Do we have to change the access point settings for using BSNL 3G sim in Mumbai ? I am getting full network signal of Dolphin here. But not able to browse through mobile.
anybody faced same problem in Mumbai?

^^ I used my Pune 3G sim in Thane and Dadar(Mumbai) it works directly without having to change any access point settings or the APN.

Just curious: What is the APN for MTNL?? like its bsnlnet for BSNL.

MTNL must have changed some thing coz in late Nov 2010 I was using 3G Sim from Hyderabad in Mumbai without any problems on the MTNL 3G Dolphin network, I did not even have to change the APN it was bsnlnet.

CeDrIc said:

I am facing the same problem. I have got the BSNL 3G SIM yesterday in Bangalore, using it through my Nokia C7. While browsing through phone, it doesn't open at all. On the screen first it showed E, then I changed the mode to Dual Mode, now it shows 3.5G. When I connect the pone to PC & use it as Modem, it works fine although I'm getting low speeds. Speed varies from 0.8 mbps to 1.7 mbps. I also have problem while browsing on the PC, only the download speeds are constant. It almost took 5 min to open TE. Did I miss anything here? My doubts are,

1. How do I make it work on my phone? Any other settings?

2. Browsing in PC?

3. Also, is this problem with my phone. Will the speeds improve & be constant with USB Modem?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

CeDrIc said:

I am facing the same problem. I have got the BSNL 3G SIM yesterday in Bangalore, using it through my Nokia C7. While browsing through phone, it doesn't open at all. On the screen first it showed E, then I changed the mode to Dual Mode, now it shows 3.5G. When I connect the pone to PC & use it as Modem, it works fine although I'm getting low speeds. Speed varies from 0.8 mbps to 1.7 mbps. I also have problem while browsing on the PC, only the download speeds are constant. It almost took 5 min to open TE. Did I miss anything here? My doubts are,

1. How do I make it work on my phone? Any other settings?

2. Browsing in PC?

3. Also, is this problem with my phone. Will the speeds improve & be constant with USB Modem?

Guys I am convinced now... that BSNL is some how deliberately capping the speeds.... maybe to curb the sale of new connections or to boost the sale of EVDO connections.... coz the type of speeds we are getting all over at present is almost the same as EVDO cards.
Any idea how we can pull this off? Tried talking to the PGM Pune office on Bajirao Road... they said that the towers are controlled centrally from Banglore and speeds cant be limited from towers, It has to happen as per the plan taken....
I dont understand whether he understands what he is talking or if I am a noob to call them and discuss with them :p

funtoon said:
MTNL must have changed some thing coz in late Nov 2010 I was using 3G Sim from Hyderabad in Mumbai without any problems on the MTNL 3G Dolphin network, I did not even have to change the APN it was bsnlnet.
Actually i am seeing improvement on speeds on my home network mtnl 3G.during day time (peak times) it beats reliance 3g too on account of consistent speeds where reliance is giving spikes.
During daytimes reliance on average does not seem worth.
In the night however reliance rockets with the speed where even spikes could be ignored.:eek:hyeah:

onlyravi said:
Any idea how we can pull this off? Tried talking to the PGM Pune office on Bajirao Road... they said that the towers are controlled centrally from Banglore and speeds cant be limited from towers, It has to happen as per the plan taken....
If the pune towers are controlled centrally from bangalolre then god help pune 3G users as well

Edit-

Can any one from Bangalore (prefereably near Kalyan Nagar) who were facing issue earlier confirm if 3g is working fine. I got a call from BSNL raj Bhavan office asking if the speed is OK. She said now they are making sure people get atleast 2MBps.

This is response to my complaint given 2 months ago. My 3G sim and card are with my bro in hyd, so cant check.

speeds been worst for few days not more than 100 in torrents , using download manager will get around 200 kbps roughly !! any idea whats wrong with bsnl? why are they playing with innocent customer like me ? :p

BSNL isnt bothered about customers like you and me.
its just their network, accept it. no one else has a service at the pricepoint they provide.
so we have to accept their service quality fluctuations - period!!

All in all to summarize.... These BSNL oldies and aunties dont want their workload to increase... and they know that even if BSNL goes in a loss they can never be kicked out....
Also there are some policies which stop some good BSNL employees from helping the customers.
Like Pune Muncipal corp. charges Rs4500/- per metre for digging roads to lay BSNL cables... where as the rate for electricity cable laying is Rs1500/- and same for other pvt companies also.... Now why the diff betn BSNL and pvt companies for digging charges....
Also many of u may be knowing that most BSNL JTOs and wiremen have to patrol the roads of their areas to make sure no digging is going on... They have to stand by the road the entire day to ensure that digging does not screw their cables.... The diggers are never fined for breaking the cables....
BSNL has allowed other pvt stores to sell BSNL connections/Sims... but all the documents of new connections are not processed by any backend ... this all coolie work like verifying correct documents, entering the details in their intranet systems is done by the same BSNL CSC employees who sit there and do the work assigned to them.... so they tend to overlook the CSC job and focus more in these coolie work as there is a deadline for these work.
So I feel its not any individual but the system as whole to blame here....
DOT has seperated itself from BSNL and is eating all the cream... Bechare BSNL empl r not even getting Diwali bonus from last year...

Sorry for the lengthy post... I know many of us dont like their way of functioning... but this is other side of the coin.... I too believe that I shd get proper service for the amount I have paid..... and will not leave them untill my speed issues are resolved :D

Well back in Bangalore now, just got my router setup did not get much time to test the same. Speeds in delhi were around 2mbps for downloading, but browsing was painfully slow. I did not make any changes, it detected the Dolphin network and connected with bsnlnet apn.

i'm buying the sim card today. Is the free 1 week offer finished?. What price should i pay for sim and the next recharge.

What documents are required for connection?.

^^ Read the thread before someone spoonfeeds you :p....I have replied to the same 4-5 times now !

3G Sim--Rs 59, First Recharge ---Rs 58/120

1 week is free only after u do 1st recharge.

Docs : Passport size pic, address proff(local House agreement, bsnl landline bill),photo identitiy proof(pan card, DL , etc)

Back