BSNL 3G Thread

At last could not control my self and decided to go for UMG1831 as only this model seems to be widely available. Went to physical shop of ebay seller pareshwins and purchased it, after checking it myself. COST: = Three liters of petrol, 4hours of traffic, half day leave from office, and his latest ebay price of Rs.2800/-. Didn't got any discounts on his ebay listing price.

Ebay india item :110638684889

When I asked about heating and disconnection problems the seller claimed himself as an expert and said don't believe in what is said and written over tech forums. In his own words : " Wo sab p2p hai, we are experts here". :p

ONE of our resident TE dealer also seem to be dealing with him. (Not sure though, saw just a mail from him in his mailbox, naughty me).

TechYoda said:
At last could not control my self and decided to go for UMG1831 as only this model seems to be widely available. Went to physical shop of ebay seller pareshwins and purchased it, after checking it myself. COST: = Three liters of petrol, 4hours of traffic, half day leave from office, and his latest ebay price of Rs.2800/-. Didn't got any discounts on his ebay listing price.

Ebay india item :110638684889

When I asked about heating and disconnection problems the seller claimed himself as an expert and said don't believe in what is said and written over tech forums. In his own words : " Wo sab p2p hai, we are experts here". :p

ONE of our resident TE dealer also seem to be dealing with him. (Not sure though, saw just a mail from him in his mailbox, naughty me).

yup he says in his listing that the price will be 3.5k next month :S

also what tests did you actually do and which 3G card did you use ?

little info on that i too might try the same route since his shop is apparently not that far way :p

Got a UMG 1831 , a week ago(14th Jan) from ebay.

In fact a second piece as the 1st piece came w/o IMEI no. and the modem got disconnected from my system in a short interval and the internet conn. too got discon. with in a few seconds.

this new one works like a charm with with no disconnection from the internet neither from my system. :)

Only issue being the heating issue,sometime i see the device getting heated up . Need to investigate on it , may be due to weak signals or use of USB extension cable

raksrules said:
Guys UMG1831 is available on ebay for 2850 and say i am able to get a discount coupon of 10% and get the same for 2565, should i go ahead with this ?
Are there serious issues with this modem or just that a batch of modems available with dvdstoredelhi has issues ?

eBay India: Huawei UMG1831 3G usb modem Data Card 21Mbps (HSPA+) (item 280612944474 end time 06-Feb-2011 15:23:57 IST)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Just to update, i am using Windows XP OS.
Bought one from Santoshsgh at 2802(ebay coupon off-course ) , the modem was plugging in and out rapidly and was without IMEI no.

Reported the issue the same day to him and got a good one as replacement :eek:hyeah:

Ships thru bluedart ,so u get the order with in 2-3 days :hap2:

Wud recommend this seller over dvdstore.. , :hap2:

smnrock said:
@strategy, first of all UMG1831, by-default will have T-mobile software, not the mobile partner! And second check your PC device manager whether all the drivers have been installed. I suspect your hardware drivers not installed properly, and atleast minimum 3 entry should be there in your device manager with name of "Huawei..."
Nopes,my device came with mobile partner as default.
I guess it depends on from which external dealer has the local (ebay/leoxsys/modemcare) vendor has ordered from

I'm having a series of problems from 3 days...

1. Speed at most touches 1Mbps at any given point of time

2. Certain websites..(all of google's) refuse to open at random point of time.

3. Speed has been inconstant and there is this network spikes issue. After maxing the connection(1mbps) speed for 5 seconds or so, the speed will start to fall until it reaches 0 and stays there for 4-5 seconds and then it will start increasing again. This situation stays while downloading and browsing.

Here is a snapshot of my mobile partner statistics.

I know it depends on the circle that one living in, but any one of you guys facing this problem?

Dushie said:
flip it and the back cover will slide out , there you can insert the sim
Thanks I did..Now I'm seen signal strength at 20% which immediately drops to 0% when i connect. All websites refuse to open. I went in the balcony too but then T-Mobile s/w shows edge connectivity..

Check this image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi Guys, Got my BSNL BB configured and activated using the 991 unltd 3G recharge and these are the speeds im getting as shown below, but sometimes its like 400-500kbps and at times shoots till 4mbps though my phone is a 3.5mbps HSPA device just wondering how its possible a difference upto 10 times ? same location, same device !

One request to all members. Please lets keep this thread for bsnl 3g and not for modems discussions we can open a new thread for modems lately this thread is diluted with issues of modems irrespective of bsnl issues

please don't misunderstand

Also there is new Rs 999 ipad 3G plan where also you get unlimited 3G :)

So now we can use either 991 or 999 Easy recharge for 1 mnth UL 3G....no need to go for the Rs 1499/1500 monthly plan :)

Back