BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i got bsnl evdo (prithvi modem) in vishakapatnam where i used to get 1.5mbps stable speed. now i moved to bangalore here speed is fluctuating from 0.5mbps to 1.8 mbps even though i am having 4bar signal is this because of roaming? has anyone tested bsnl evdo in roaming?

hi i got bsnl evdo (prithvi modem) in vishakapatnam where i used to get 1.5mbps stable speed. now i moved to bangalore here speed is fluctuating from 0.5mbps to 1.8 mbps even though i am having 4bar signal is this because of roaming? has anyone tested bsnl evdo in roaming?
Roaming works fine . I am using mine in roaming from last 8 years , that too used in 4 different states . It depend son the number of users on that particular BTS

Agree with Kuduku, on the same speeds in Bangalore fluctuate a lot, i remember using my 595u in multiple places and there was lot of variation, depending on the time of the day, the no of users, tower location, signal quality and strength. If you are constantly getting above 0.5 Mbps then its good, as during the day for me the speeds would drop to 256 Kbps, and only in the night it would go above 0.5 mbps.

i want to buy a modem for my new bsnl evdo connection..
please suggest me a good modem which can be bought in US or locally...
suggest both options please

Is anyone in Kolkata region facing problems with connectivity today?

From morning, I am unable to connect. I am getting "User Name and Password combination is not recognized" error.
It was working fine till yesterday. I was downloading till 1 am today. Was working fine then. The problem is happening from today morning(7am). I had just recharged my connection 2 days ago.

EDIT: Even balance enquiry is not working in the Prithvi modem.

@hotshot05 did u check your validity and balance? It error happens when your balance or validity expires.

I recharged Rs.800 just 2 days ago.
And the condition is such that I even when I dial *123#, nothing is returned. So unable to check balance.
I do not have CDMA phone. So unable to put it in phone and check.[DOUBLEPOST=1401994044][/DOUBLEPOST]It seems like my Validity had expired. Recharged with Rs.20 and it started working again :)

Last edited:
I recharged Rs.800 just 2 days ago.
And the condition is such that I even when I dial *123#, nothing is returned. So unable to check balance.
I do not have CDMA phone. So unable to put it in phone and check.[DOUBLEPOST=1401994044][/DOUBLEPOST]It seems like my Validity had expired. Recharged with Rs.20 and it started working again :)
20 bucks gives 6 months validity . What i do is that add an alarm/event in Google calender for all my postpaid and prepaid numbers and pay 3/4 days prior to last date . Why allow mobile companies to earn money by siting on that money .

20 bucks gives 6 months validity . What i do is that add an alarm/event in Google calender for all my postpaid and prepaid numbers and pay 3/4 days prior to last date . Why allow mobile companies to earn money by siting on that money .
Will do that from now. When I was using the Prithvi mode., remembering wasn't a problem since I used to get the texts.
Butt with the ZTE modem, since I don't get the texts, it is hard to remember.

The ZTE modem, does it need any settings to be done or is it as simple as putting in the SIM. Is there a guide for the BSNL EVDO connection.
It would really help if some experienced user make a guide on how to get a new connection etc.
My Reliance speeds have been throttled to 1Mbps so really considering getting a BSNL EVDO this time.

Fellow members require to know whether they give BSNL EVDO connection to all people? Cos the last time I walked into their office at Chennai, they said where they have the wired broadband service, they are not giving the connection? Is it true ?

The ZTE modem, does it need any settings to be done or is it as simple as putting in the SIM. Is there a guide for the BSNL EVDO connection.
It would really help if some experienced user make a guide on how to get a new connection etc.
My Reliance speeds have been throttled to 1Mbps so really considering getting a BSNL EVDO this time.
It is an unlocked ZTE AC2766 modem. Links to eBay sellers has been mentioned in this thread.

Check the tower strength of BSNL EVDO in your area. I think someone posted that one can get a CDMA SIM for Rs.40 and do a EVDO data recharge. You will need to have an unlocked modem though.

Check EVDO speeds at your home otherwise it will be a futile exercise . Either BSNL demo or friends DATACARD
Its as simple as going to BSNL office and buying a new BSNL CDMA RUIM . Their are 2 types of RUIM available . 40 bucks CDMA and 250/300 bucks EVDO RUIM .
Lets call 40 bucks RUIM as CDMA sim
and
250/300 bucks EVDO enabled RUIM as EVDO sim
Somebody did comment that he got EVDO on CDMA sim but i could never get it . My EVDO top up never goes through on CDMA sim . So i bought EVDO SIM
All voice and SMS work fine on both RUIMS . Data also works fine on both except I couldn't get EVDO on CDMA ruim
Dont buy BSNL branded datacards . Buy unlocked ZTE AC2766 from ebay and pop in the RUIM and you are online . Same RUIM also works in all OMH/RUIM enabled Sprint/verizon/ others handsets

This is CDMA RUIM prepaid page http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/cdma_prepaid_tariff.html . Its given EVDO enabled on this page itself
STV http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/special_tariff_voucher.html

EVDO RUIM prepaid http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_prepaid.html
postpaid http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_postpaid.html

I have postpaid EVDO . DATA roaming works all over india . Wherever you go you will surely find 1x signal to fall back to voice and data . 1x is exaclty like a GSM 2G speeds
@cisco_tech is testing BSNL 1x speeds on his Moto G . You can ask him his experience on voice quality and data speeds
EVDO speeds are directly related to distance of BTS and number of users . I get 250/280Kbps download speeds in night

They did it when I went to activated my CDMA sim for EVDO. Also, I read that BSNL doesn't offer both data and voice at the same time. Can't remember the source.

Check EVDO speeds at your home otherwise it will be a futile exercise . Either BSNL demo or friends DATACARD
Its as simple as going to BSNL office and buying a new BSNL CDMA RUIM . Their are 2 types of RUIM available . 40 bucks CDMA and 250/300 bucks EVDO RUIM .
Lets call 40 bucks RUIM as CDMA sim
and
250/300 bucks EVDO enabled RUIM as EVDO sim
Somebody did comment that he got EVDO on CDMA sim but i could never get it . My EVDO top up never goes through on CDMA sim . So i bought EVDO SIM
All voice and SMS work fine on both RUIMS . Data also works fine on both except I couldn't get EVDO on CDMA ruim
Dont buy BSNL branded datacards . Buy unlocked ZTE AC2766 from ebay and pop in the RUIM and you are online . Same RUIM also works in all OMH/RUIM enabled Sprint/verizon/ others handsets

This is CDMA RUIM prepaid page http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/cdma_prepaid_tariff.html . Its given EVDO enabled on this page itself
STV http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/special_tariff_voucher.html

EVDO RUIM prepaid http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_prepaid.html
postpaid http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_postpaid.html

I have postpaid EVDO . DATA roaming works all over india . Wherever you go you will surely find 1x signal to fall back to voice and data . 1x is exaclty like a GSM 2G speeds
@cisco_tech is testing BSNL 1x speeds on his Moto G . You can ask him his experience on voice quality and data speeds
EVDO speeds are directly related to distance of BTS and number of users . I get 250/280Kbps download speeds in night

Thanks a lot mate. Any idea if I can port my no to them as well when buying this EVDO RUIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back