Confused Between Android and S^3

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnandu

Skilled
Well, actually the story is, I'm not the one who changes phone now and then, but I can't control my lust for Android after seeing so many ZTE Blade's from the member's here.

So planned of getting one too. But came into confusion between Optimus One and ZTE Blade, which have nothing difference in specs except O1 is 3.2" screen and ZTE Blade has 3.5" screen. The main issue got into, ZTE Blade would have no warranty(though I don't care about it much, as so many member's are using it), need to rooted and install custom ROM to get Froyo, need to be unlocked, and importing it here is a little bit hassle.

Whereas O1 saves me from all above problems :p but ZTE Blade looks better.

Well, as I'm a Nokia fanboy, so just searching Nokia website casually and saw X6, C-6 and some other phones. Liked X6 most. Now again I got into confusion after seeing the specs, like it has LED Flash, 5MP Cam and everything that ZTE Blade has. Screen is 3.2" which is not a factor for me.

Budget is like 12k, can extend to 15k or so, not a big deal. Though I don't have a single penny with me right now, will be buying with CC and pay it in installment.

Please help, with your suggestions... :p

How is WP7 ones?? Will it come within my budget??

devvfata1ity said:
bro many of my frenz have used the wildfire...its a damn gud phone for the price...they r very happy wid it since they cudnt afford a desire....i have also used it a bit....its pretty darn responsive...not too many slowdowns...the camera is also ok..u can get one at letsbuy for 12149..
Its a rank bad phone when you consider that LG Optimus One P500 is available for 11.4k

O1 has 600MHz MSM7227 vs Wildfire's 528MHz MSM7225

O1 has 3.2" HVGA whereas wildfire has a patheitc 3.2" QVGA screen

O1 has 512MB RAM whereas Wildfire has 384MB RAM.

The only thing in which the Wildfire has better specs is the cam and the reviews suggest the 5MP it has is below avg.- avg.

The Samsung Galaxy Mini @ 9k matches/better Wildfire specs except the cam.

If someone is happy with it doesn't mean it is great. It means they havent used anything better.

@krishnandu

If you really want a good android device, your starting point should be 17-18k phones..Defy / Galaxy I9003 etc. Trust me, sub 15k androids (even Ace) are NOT worth the price. I have used Galaxy Spica and O1. Though there are ok devices if you want really good android experience, start with phones with hardware comparable to Desire / Galaxy S.

The S^3 phones will provide you following-

+ awesome sound quality

+ very good video codec support out-of-the-box

+ pentaband 3G

+ AMOLED screen

+ free OFFLINE turn by turn navigation

+ Good set of apps and games

+ Swype keyboard

+ Good quality EDoF camera (not considering N8 here) with dual LED flash

+ USB OTG

+ VERY good build quality

What you won't get

- Awesome UI (UI will be changed in PR3.0 - but don't count that)

- Good stock web browser (until PR2.0)

- portrait QWERTY (until PR2.0)

Now if you want android phone and you opt for Galaxy I9003, you will get everything from above

+ higher resolution display (- AMOLED)

+ bigger display with 4:3 ratio (vs. 16:9 ratio of S^3)

+ AF camera ( - flash)

+ wider variety of apps + lots of cool mods

- free OFFLINE navigation

So IMHO, go for S^3 device if your budget is ~16-17k. Don't listen to people...most of them haven't used S^3 device as their primary device and don't know what they are talking about. See if your requirements match with the S^3 device.

On the other hand, if going for android...please go for higher-mid range.

@RVK2488 Wow that's a detailed review and exactly same what I was looking for.

I really liked the what will I get and miss I get this/that :p

Thanks, repped specially for this :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, Seems like I started a war between S^3 and Android fanboy's :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DarkAngel said:
Its a rank bad phone when you consider that LG Optimus One P500 is available for 11.4k

O1 has 600MHz MSM7227 vs Wildfire's 528MHz MSM7225

O1 has 3.2" HVGA whereas wildfire has a patheitc 3.2" QVGA screen

O1 has 512MB RAM whereas Wildfire has 384MB RAM.

The only thing in which the Wildfire has better specs is the cam and the reviews suggest the 5MP it has is below avg.- avg.

The Samsung Galaxy Mini @ 9k matches/better Wildfire specs except the cam.

If someone is happy with it doesn't mean it is great. It means they havent used anything better.
That's right, I read all those things in reviews, and Wildfire is considered as bad phone for that price.

And max. reviews says it starts lagging when you try Angry Birds :p

avi said:
So what u gonna buy ?

and check my sig, some people have bought SGS at 13-14k :D
Still not decided. Just the list got extended to C6-01, ZTE Blade / O1, Samsung Ace(Still don't know how much RAM it has)

Actually I'm dying to try Android. But for phone, I don't have specific requirement, even if I don't buy anything, I can continue with my 2730c, but as I said, I wanted to something for Android, but after reading the suggestions, C6-01 is offering much more :p

And FYI, if your interested in gaming I have following games on my C7 -

Angry Birds

Angry Birds Seasons

NFS Shift

Spiderman Total Mayhem

Real Football 2010

Asphalt 5

Assassins Creed

Hero of Sparta

GT Racing: Motor Academy

Guitar Rock Tour II

Rally master Pro

Sparkle

Fruit Ninja

The Settlers

All of these are HQ games. Some of the installation files are in 100s of MBs. All these games play without any lag.

No game is not a concern, I don't play games, Just posted that as example for wildfire.

Anyway I think best way to judge is first go to a mobile store and see C6-01 working, if I like the UI then it's great, otherwise ZTE Blade / Ace(Only after knowing how much RAM it has)

Fine. Thats why I said earlier think wether the phone can satisfy your needs. Even I feel C6 is fine. Forget ZTE Blade, it sucks, only OS is good in that.

RVK2488 said:
Don't listen to people...most of them haven't used S^3 device as their primary device and don't know what they are talking about. See if your requirements match with the S^3 device.

I totally agree on this. These are just stupid fanbois who go on suggesting what they own/like.

Even I have used those sets myself and trust me, they suck compared with Nokia in Camera / Music section. If you are desperate to use Android then you can buy, but I see no "enjoying" it on crawling hardware. So extend your budget and get Galaxy SLCD [aprrox 20K] or Moto Defy [approx 18K] or else you will be fine with C6-01.

PS - I own Android device, I am not simply bullshitting about it here. Android really sucks in lower end devices. If you don't agree, then #facepalm.

Good to see some real views here.. S^3 is nowhere as bad as people make it out to be , those people are simply basing their opinions on previous gen hardware. Also having had a peak at the new UI , i think its a great update for the phone...

In terms of Audio quality , camera... Nokia phones beat Android phones hands down. YES , Android has a better app ecosystem but when all the basic stuff which you would require is already available on Symbian as well , it doesn't become THAT big of a difference.

Just my opinion... not here to flame any fanboy wars.

avi said:
Fine. Thats why I said earlier think wether the phone can satisfy your needs. Even I feel C6 is fine. Forget ZTE Blade, it sucks, only OS is good in that.

I totally agree on this. These are just stupid fanbois who go on suggesting what they own/like.

Even I have used those sets myself and trust me, they suck compared with Nokia in Camera / Music section. If you are desperate to use Android then you can buy, but I see no "enjoying" it on crawling hardware. So extend your budget and get Galaxy SLCD [aprrox 20K] or Moto Defy [approx 18K] or else you will be fine with C6-01.

PS - I own Android device, I am not simply bullshitting about it here. Android really sucks in lower end devices. If you don't agree, then #facepalm.
So you own Samsung Galaxy S / Samsung Vibrant??

One more reason I'm little bit tilted towards ZTE Blade because, I'll be trying Android first time, and mainly whatever I buy I'll pay by CC, so I've to pay that amount in instalment :p

Nope. I was hunting for phones, was trying out everything. And I have used Galaxy 3 [of my friend's] for some 12 days. And I own, NooK Color (android tablet). After trying all those lower end devices, I did not buy.

And forget ZTE Blade, that sucks big time in Camera/Music. If you're so desperate to use Android and have budget constraints, then get Captivate or Vibrant.

^^Simply because of your strict budget.Increase it around 18-20,anti-symbians will raise their heads.For your budget symbian is a better option,specially in multimedia front.

red dragon said:
^^Simply because of your strict budget.Increase it around 18-20,anti-symbians will raise their heads.For your budget symbian is a better option,specially in multimedia front.
But even at that budget, the Galaxy Ace is a very strong Android player.

nehaladsul said:
But even at that budget, the Galaxy Ace is a very strong Android player.
Naaa... C6-01 pwns it in multimedia (both playback and recording). Ace costs 15k and records QVGA@15fps. Seriously!!!!

Its got lower ppi when compared to C6-01. Inferior LCD. The Nokia AMOLED CDB was almost as good as the Super AMOLED. @15k the C6-01 rocks :D

Almost similar RAM. The O1 is a much better VFM android in the 10k-15k range. Ace @13 is decent but @15k its overpriced.

It just has the same MSM7227 but just OCed to 800MHz. If it had a current gen MSM7230 800MHz and Adreno 205 then it would be good value @15k

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 review - audio and video players

The player on the Samsung Galaxy Ace can handle 3GP and MP4 video files. DivX/XviD support is missing, but at least we had no problems playing videos at up to WVGA resolution.

720p videos wouldn’t play, but that’s overkill on a HVGA display anyway. But you’re not limited to the Galaxy Ace display. Thanks to DLNA you can view photos and videos on compatible hardware – like TVs or computers with the right software (the latest version of Windows Media player for example).

An active external amplifier lets the Galaxy Ace show its full potential and achieve great scores. Not only is the Samsung smartphone pretty loud, it also has no weak points whatsoever.

Unfortunately the degradation when headphones come into play is pretty severe. Loudness falls down dramatically and the stereo crosstalk raises notably. The intormodulation increases too and the general performance drops from impressive to average.

http://www.letsbuy.com/nokia-c601-mobile-p-12479.html

I think OP can get it for 14.2k with ICICI 10% from letsbuy. But keep in mind that they might take as long as 10 days to deliver the product.My advice would be if budget android then the O1 rocks @ 11.4k. If someone wants a better android phone then i would say the next phone one should consider is the Defy @17.5k and the Galaxy S I9003 @19.5k.

No android phone in the 12-17k range is VFM IMO.

red dragon said:
would it be anti-symbians or sane people who think android is more VFM? coz there is BIG difference between the two and I won't care what the former has to say.

Actually I liked the C6-01, but you know as I'll be paying with CC, and then I need to pay that money in installment, now to pay 16k in installment would take me min 6months EMI in my salary. That's why I'm little more tilted towards ZTE Blade / O1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back