Dead Island - Discussion Thread

mastersquall said:
:( don't tell me my money got wasted . i hope when i play it get fixed till then :p

Steam just rolled out an update. All the existing saves got wiped off. :p

Tarey, Borderlands 2 pre-order is inevitable. I'll be done getting Dead Island by today morning. We'll start it this weekend. ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Played the prologue and I am glad to inform that I didn't face any technical issues yet. No CTD, no freezing, no stuttering or any other weird anomalies. The game runs butter smooth with maxed out detail and looks really good, much better than CoJ. As I feared, there is no in-game V-Sync option, so I had to force it through D3DOverrider. Just waiting to start off with co-op now. :D

From Shack -

Techland's Dead Island hasn't got off to the most auspicious of starts. Steam received a wonky build when the open-world zombie shooter launched today, which was apparently intended for developers, not players, and suffers a few... quirks.

"We deeply regret that an incorrect version of Dead Island was inadvertently made available to players on Steam launch in North America," reads a note on the game's Facebook page.

"We are very sorry for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game - the correct, patched version will be made available to North American players ASAP."

Steam players noticed some very unusual behavior, such as the 'Y' key activating "noclip" mode. This would let players fly through the air and pass through solid objects, and handily also wiped out their character's stats. Ars Technica's own Ben Kuchera fell victim to the bug, having to start a new game.

The launch was also accompanied by a day-one patch with 37 fixes.

Publisher Deep Silver insists that the rest of the world is "not affected by this situation," and will receive the fully-patched version when Dead Island launches elsewhere on Friday. North Americans, you might want to hold off on playing any more until the game's ship-shape, as some on Facebook are reporting that their saved games have been outright wiped by updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan_Hunt said:
Steam just rolled out an update. All the existing saves got wiped off.

Maybe it was just that you fell victim to the "Y key activating the no-clip" bug mentioned above that "also resets player stats"? Then again, "official patches" also tend to be incompatible with existing save games.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Played the prologue and I am glad to inform that I didn't face any technical issues yet. No CTD, no freezing, no stuttering or any other weird anomalies. The game runs butter smooth with maxed out detail and looks really good, much better than CoJ.

Going by the Shack post, the problems are stated to be in the NA version of the game. Not sure what version we get from Steam in India.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Just waiting to start off with co-op now.

Not sure if its relevant but a post on the Steam forums claims that co-op mode works fine on Hamachi. I have never used Hamachi personally but I recall it being quite "popular" with the MW crowd.

The Steam forums for the game seem to indicate varying complaints though I'm sure Techland will iron them out shortly.

Dead Island - Steam Users' Forums

Yeah the buggy release is for the NA users. The one that hits this Friday supposedly is the proper version of the game.

mastersquall said:
i don't think so retail version will released else pre-order would have appeared
That's odd. Was this planned to be a Digital-download only version?

Anyway, did you start the game yet?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Was this planned to be a Digital-download only version?

Dont think so - Amazon offers the retail box version along with a digital download option.

Amazon.com: Dead Island: Pc: Video Games

Earlier Techland games were distributed in India by Express Interactive (COJ series.) but these were published by Ubi.

Dead Island is however published by Deep Silver, which have a really poor distribution past in India. The only Deep Silver game I ever recall buying retail in India was X3:Reunion and that was years ago....

That's what I thought. I'm assuming the content on the retail versions are final and complete builds. Else, this would really turn out to be an outrage for Techland.

Rickyk said:
Dont think so - Amazon offers the retail box version along with a digital download option.

Amazon.com: Dead Island: Pc: Video Games

Earlier Techland games were distributed in India by Express Interactive (COJ series.) but these were published by Ubi.

Dead Island is however published by Deep Silver, which have a really poor distribution past in India. The only Deep Silver game I ever recall buying retail in India was X3:Reunion and that was years ago....

dead island won't get a retail release in india... not on pc nor consoles.

Ethan_Hunt said:
That's odd. Was this planned to be a Digital-download only version?

Anyway, did you start the game yet?

not me but my friend has started and he is loving it . will visit him soon to copy his game into my pc

All right. So we finally got time and teamed up for our co-op session. This game definitely needs some time getting used to. It's not as easy as it looks. Just like being dropped in Borderlands for the first time, you need to take some time to get familiar with obtaining the quests, map, weapon selection, upgrades, skill allocation etc. It was a bit confusing for us, since some of the side quests didn't show us an exact location of where we were supposed to obtain the required materials. We had to manually drive our way through the whole zombie infected Island and find them. Just took a break after completing Mike's side-quest "Ashes to Ashes". All of us are on Level 3 right now. :D

Rendezvous at Banoi

A meeting was fixed at the island of banoi.These are some postcards from that island.

1.We all meet at the appointed place.
scaled.php

2.We explore
scaled.php

3.Booked a perfect beach side resort with a pvt swimming pool.
scaled.php

4.all of us got bored and tried to do something different.er...why not play pool football.;)
scaled.php

5.After getting heavily drunk!(the three of them:D) We saw a car approaching.Requested the owner to give us a trial or rent it for some hours.But he refused and was arrogant.Beaten the driver (image censored) and took his car.
scaled.php

6.Now the question is who will drive the car.Now every drunken member started considering himself as Michael Schumacher.Therefore somehow the three inebriated persons managed to get a car for themselves.(owners met the same fate as the former one)
scaled.php

And the race began.

scaled.php

7.This is what happens when you drink and drive.

I.gaurav's car
scaled.php

II.Samer and ethan's car
scaled.php

er....these two were playing dashing car using real cars!:(

8.Atlast after getting crashed and beaten everyone decided that it should be nice if we go back to our resort
and enjoy the beach there.Therefore we left for the resort.
scaled.php

9.We at the resort.:)
scaled.php

10.Ciao.:D
scaled.php

Back