Car & Bike Enlivening an old dream..Yamaha RX135 !

That front mudguard is from a P200. Cant help the change in color :(

Yes RXZ brakes are direct fit to the RX. Only gripe being they are too expensive and hard to find.

SunnyBoi said:
8HS? :S Get a NGK BPR7HS or Mico W5BC.
Initial parts/stocks were BP series- later BP got discontinued locally and only BPR was available.
For an RX, BP or BPR doesn't make a difference iirc. :)
But you pointed it out rightly- i think the ones i used later had a blue 'R' below' the blue NGK mark. :p
Initial shoguns cames with a BP 7HS.
Soon they moved to BP8HS, especially after the introduction of the cat con in 1996. :)
I had to move on to the BPR8HS afterwards for reasons imentioned earlier. :)
The RXG, 135 4-spd and 5 spd were always factory fitted with BPR7HS.
After the first year, i moved to the BPR8HS on the RX too. :)
Reason- i will post later. :p
(Plus it helped as i had an RX135 (ported), shogun (stock but not exactly stock :p) and shaolin at the same time and there were a lot of NGK fakes doing the rounds.
So i would pick up a couple of them whenever they were in stock at the Local TVS factory workshop. :))

Sunny- i think you sould seriously give the BPR 8HS a shot- especially when you go for the those long highway trips. :)
But you use 2T mix iirc, then you might be better off with the BPR 7HS. :p

Yam oil pumps suck monkey b@ll$. :mad:
The stock one, esp RX135 4 speed, would end up choked in a short time and would struggle to maintain a decent flow even at fairly high settings- plus mechanical failure was unpredicatbly high.
BUt i was lucky enough to lay my hands on a factory pump for an RX100, whose piston was designed to deliver twice the oil at the same setting as the stock one. ;)
It would pump enough oil at low settings and could be turned a bit faster for long, hard rides :D- plus the piston and gears looked and felt much harder and better. :S
But the gears didn't match, so had to use the RX100 oil pump's rotary piston with the 135's body and mechabicals. :p
The RX135 5 speed was reported to have a bigger oil pump for the same reason- i don't know much about how those performed andkinda never bothered. :p

The Shogun's oil pump was a 'made in Japan' one and metered doses quite perfectly- making the burn quite good and leaving less oil/soot inside the chamber or the exhaust- obviously added to the plug's health too.
I have rarelysee a shogun oil pump fail except for cases whena rider didnt top up his 2T tank and let it run dry, seizing hsi engine and killing the oil pump in the process too. :(
Shaken- a Mico W5BC used to be Rs.50/- per plug when i had last checked years back. :ashamed:
And an NGK BPR8HS would cost me 130-140 bucks per plug at the TVS workshop then. :p
But degradation of the Mico over time is far noticeable and faster- the NGK held up much better through it's entire life cycle.
I do not recall what is the recommended interval to change a plug but i changed mine somewhere from 5000-8000kms, depending upon the time of the year. :ashamed:
BTW, you might be better off with the BPR7HS- as i presume you will be starting/riding the bike only a few days a week and that too for not very long distances- especially during the cold months. :)
The Mico W5BC is the cheapest plug you can buy and was mainly meant for the RX100 but people used it on 135 too.
If you will ride like few days a week and that too to the local panwallah- as in that short a distance if i comprehend 'trip to local panwallah' correctly, the W5BC also might be ok for you. :)

the R in BPR stands for Resistor type plugs....its fine for RX but on old goldie vehicles like yezdi, chetak its better to avoid them...

btw 8hs is only 85 bucks now but really hard to find.. :p

The oil pump on RX is quite erratic, sometimes on hard riding it keeps pumping a lot of oil for long time...lol

if your pump is gone better to use premix and be safe :D

Unless you are living in hot place like chennai i really wont recommend 8hs for city driving :p

archish said:
the R in BPR stands for Resistor type plugs....its fine for RX but on old goldie vehicles like yezdi, chetak its better to avoid them...

btw 8hs is only 85 bucks now but really hard to find.. :p

The oil pump on RX is quite erratic, sometimes on hard riding it keeps pumping a lot of oil for long time...lol

if your pump is gone better to use premix and be safe :D
Unless you are living in hot place like chennai i really wont recommend 8hs for city driving :p

'R' was mainly to cut out RFI and for use in specific engnes run via electronics where RFI can play havoc.

RX was a bit dumb imho- the magnetos didn't even have a timing mark. :O

That discovery was a big story in itself- pretty frustrating for me in the end. :p
I never had any probs with 8HS though- weekends were spent battling cut and thrust traffic. :)

But then, my RX135 wasn't exactly stock too. :p

A stock shogun on the other hand struggled in the top gear at higher rpms with the BPR7HS- severely killed top end in many cases though performed brilliantly through the first 2 gears.

Will post a pic later what High Compression + BPR7HS can do to an RX135- especially when one rides 2hrs non-stop on a very sunny mid-May noon, 2-up (85+65Kgs), averaging 100kmph. :ashamed:
Delhi peeps have it a bit weird- too hot for half the year or more and too cold for the rest. :p

Performance freaks have to keep their vehicles in the right tune- but then they also don't mind the hassle- it's the kind of fun fun they look forward to after all. :p

200k and small distance :bleh: and 8.5L, you must have clocked 100mph the whole way :p

BTW, what is a cat-con silencer and its advantages/disadvantages, how to identify it and if my model is 1998 will it have a cat-con silencer ?

Ca con comes aonly after 2000 models. If you see a fat black silencer, its a cat con. Its 12KGs heavier than the pipe you have.

Had to ride reeeeally hard to keep up with the RDs and CBRs :(

Allright, the bike is finally ready except a few cosmetics changes. Costed me almost 6k, the list is too long to be posted here, must have been almost a hundred parts changed . The ride is very smooth, first kick start, and the sound is very good. He has advised me to go easy on the accelerator for about 500 kms.

The verdict, the mechanic has done a very good job, I am very much satisfied. They are not the usual road side mechanics looking to make a fast buck, they are thorough and professional and most importantly they know their job. So anyone looking to get their bike done in Delhi , you can go to them without any doubt.
EDIT : BEFORE :p

IMG_5019.jpg

AFTER Here is a picture of the bike along with the mechanic, he's the son , the father (not in the picture) is the main ustaad.

IMG_5033.jpg

More pics coming soon....

Nope, they put the RXG sticker when I got the side panels painted, for them it doesn't matter if its RXG or RX135, will get that changed :p

Well, its too late in the night to check that :p

Anyway I'm happy with the bike. Also bought a Studds Ninja helmet and NGK G-Power BPR7HGP plug for 130/- :clap: (genuine)

===============>>>>>> NGK

Anyone looking for authorized NGK dealer in delhi can go to Karol Bagh,

M/s. Sagar Scooter Home
1686, Arya Samaj Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Contact Person: Mr. Naresh Asseja
Tel: (011) 45403751/ 45063565
===============>>>>>> NGK

Congrats for the great purchase bro ! :)

BTW BunnyBoi to bilkul peechey hi pad gaya hai isko RXG prove karney ke liye :bleh:

Just kiddin, indeed all this discussion is really very helpful.

Thanks. Well its not a gr8 purchase :p

Even its good for me to know how to differentiate a RXG and RX135.

But this should prove that its a RX135 :cool2:

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

Back