Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Graphic Card Advisor

Hello just wanted to know which one of these is better?

Sapphire HD6450 1GB DDR3 (~Rs 2700)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=1166

Sapphire HD6450 512MB GDDR5 (~Rs 3300)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=1165

I will only be doing light gaming and full HD 1080p movies on my humble rig right now (Sempron 1.9GHz, 1GB DDR2, has a PCIe x16 16 lane slot, newly accuired BenQ 22" LCD full HD).

I wouldnt be bothered but im planning to upgrade my system within 6 months to Phenom x2, 4gb ddr3.
Will carry the same graphic card.
Which one of these cards will perform better for simple games on low setting with the new setup.

DarkAngel said:
Get a HD4670 512MB or 1GB DDR3 ~ 3.4k instead. Much better card for light gaming!
Thanks DarkAngel,

HD4670 is two generations old (older DX, OpenGL, etc) . I will be using the card i buy for atleast 3-4 years. So is it wise to go that way?

I crossed HD5450 (1GB DDR3 ~Rs 2200) just because it was a generation old. I am already stretching my budget. Only considering GDDR5 version if Gddr5 will be much better than ddr3 cards.

Also i am interested in running eyefinity (running 2 monitors at the same time) . Which the 6450 series supports but the 4670 does not. and the GDDR5 version also has displayport (going to be the replacement of DVI, HDMI ?) .

The biggest thing is it should play 1080 without any lag. For gaming i dont mind low resolution and low detail as long as the framerate is good.

So after all this, what is your opinion. Which one will do what i want at lowest cost and be able to service for the longest time. :)
Thanks for taking the time to read all these details.

If you want to play using two monitors i suggest you will have to stretch your budget a bit.
You have to think along the likes of an HD6850 or above.
Connecting two monitors means the resolution what the card has to give out will be almost the double.
So more processing will be required.

Well, you can either spend 2k more and grab the HD6570 for 5k, it will not only be faster, but far more VFM and perform wayyyyy better in games.

Otherwise, for 1080p movies, grab the cheaper one of the two.

ggt said:
If you want to play using two monitors i suggest you will have to stretch your budget a bit.
You have to think along the likes of an HD6850 or above.
Connecting two monitors means the resolution what the card has to give out will be almost the double.
So more processing will be required.
Thanks ggt, two monitors are for general workspace increase. Browsing etc (putting the old CRT into use).
I dont have the kind of money to buy a graphic card for two screen gaming (not that interested in gaming either, low resolution 1024x768 etc is ok for me) .
comp@ddict said:
Well, you can either spend 2k more and grab the HD6570 for 5k, it will not only be faster, but far more VFM and perform wayyyyy better in games.
Otherwise, for 1080p movies, grab the cheaper one of the two.

5k is too much over my budget.
Is there no difference for 1080p movies by using any modern graphic card?
If this is so will a HD5450 1GB DDR3 ~Rs2200 also be able to play that resolution without any problem.

Thanks for the replys guys.

If you just want to play 1080p movies then get a 5450. Though wont recommend it for gaming. If you want to balance it out opt for a 5670 and that on a single monitor. Size of 20". Or a 22" max.

k is too much over my budget.

Is there no difference for 1080p movies by using any modern graphic card?

If this is so will a HD5450 1GB DDR3 ~Rs2200 also be able to play that resolution without any problem.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Grab the HD6000 card, has better decoded and uses lesser power etc etc, it's only Rs. 2,900, worth paying 700 bucks.

And yeah, it will be enough to playback 1080p videos with ease. Use VLC or MPC and enjoy

^^ BTW when did you start working for AMD? :p AFAIK there is no HD6000 card...

@OP

5450 would be enough for watching HD movies but if you have some more moolah to spend then buy Sapphire HD5670 512MB ~ 4.4k or MSI HD6670 ~ 5.5k (This little monster has Twin Frozr III like HSF :eek:hyeah:)

Hades. said:
^^ BTW when did you start working for AMD? :p AFAIK there is no HD6000 card...
He's asking between teh HD5k card HD5450 and HD6550 card, I'm asking him to buy the HD6k card, is that hard to understand?

comp@ddict said:
He's asking between teh HD5k card HD5450 and HD6550 card, I'm asking him to buy the HD6k card, is that hard to understand?
Yup... :p

Grab the HD6000 card,
A little grammatical mistake could create a lot of confusion... :p Well you should have written that "Grab the HD6000 series card that i have mentioned"... No Offence :cool2:

1. What is your budget?

2. Current rig Specs

CPU - Quad Core Q8400

Motherboard -Intel DG35EC

RAM - 4GB DDR2

Monitor - DELL U2311H

3. Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Rating + Brand

Corsair VX550 and APC 650VA UPS.

4. Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)

Casual Gaming,Watching HD Movies

5. What resolution do you game on?

HD Resolution

6. Interested in Crossfire/SLI?

No

7. Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

Yes

I am confused btw used 5870 and 6850.

Can i go for a used 5870 or a HIS 6850?HIS 6850 is available for 9.6K.

Please give ur valuable suggestions.Also post ur impressions on HIS 6850.Is it better than sapphire?If i will go for 5870 or 6850 is the 650VA ups enough to handle the system?

I think a 5870 beats the pants off a 6850. The 6850 is more in terms of a 5770. In fact, from all the benchmarks that I've seen, the 5850 compares more to the 6850 in most if not all the games. For more info and comparison data, head here AnandTech - Bench - CPU

You can choose the GPU 2011 link and then select 5850 and 6850 and compare the data. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Mate.

XFX 5850 is available for 9.6K in Delta,Chennai.(This time i am not willing to go for a used 5850 :()

A local guy has a used MSI 5870 (without warranty)and asking 11K for the card.My budget is 10K.

As I can't extend my budget,Now i am in btw XFX 5850 and HIS 6850.

My opinion, if you can stretch for the 5870, go for it. Of course, take testing warranty from the guy and test the card too to avoid any issues. If that is not possible, then my suggestion would be to go for the 5850. Also, if you opt for the 5850, provide me the details of this guy who has the 5870, if you don't mind and if he is ready to ship. :D

Dare Devil said:
1. What is your budget?
2. Current rig Specs
CPU - Quad Core Q8400
Motherboard -Intel DG35EC
RAM - 4GB DDR2
Monitor - DELL U2311H
3. Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Rating + Brand
Corsair VX550 and APC 650VA UPS.
4. Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)
Casual Gaming,Watching HD Movies
5. What resolution do you game on?
HD Resolution
6. Interested in Crossfire/SLI?
No
7. Open to both Nvidia/ATI?
Yes
I am confused btw used 5870 and 6850.
Can i go for a used 5870 or a HIS 6850?HIS 6850 is available for 9.6K.
Please give ur valuable suggestions.Also post ur impressions on HIS 6850.Is it better than sapphire?If i will go for 5870 or 6850 is the 650VA ups enough to handle the system?
I would suggest that you go with a new card.
A HD6850 will be a good choice for your casual gaming needs.

If you would like to go with a second hand card, make sure it has atleast 6 months warranty on it.
Spending close to 10k for a non warranty card doesnt make sense. Graphic cards may run flawlessly for a lifetime, but can go off in one second.

Just my advice, as ive had two RMA experiences with AMD cards. the last card i owned was in perfect condition, never overclocked, temps never crossed 60C, proper standard performance...BAM! goes the display with Blue lines...that too will working on a work document.

Spending close to 10k for a non warranty card doesnt make sense. Graphic cards may run flawlessly for a lifetime, but can go off in one second.

Just my advice, as ive had two RMA experiences with AMD cards. the last card i owned was in perfect condition, never overclocked, temps never crossed 60C, proper standard performance...BAM! goes the display with Blue lines...that too will working on a work document.

I completely agree with that. A video card in warranty makes more sense any day. :)

@Dare Devil, you can check the specs of both the 5850 and the 6850 over here http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=614&card2=636

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back