HTC One V @ $49.99 on Radioshack

^ Well it wasn't that hard at all, I agree it wasn't straight forward but it was a good learning experience :)

Anyway here are the basic steps one must follow to get a CDMA handset activated on Reliance.

1. Root the handset, get the SPC, reset to 00000 for convenience, load the Reliance PRL. At this point you should be registered to network and will be able to dial *228
2. If you do not already have a Reliance connection, take a new RUIM / SIM based connection and get it activated (tele verification etc)
3. Get the MEID registered from Tarun Kabra or someone else
4. Dial *228 to verify that you are asked for a 9 digit code
5. Write the Akey and EVDO / 1x credentials using DFS or any similar tool
6. Visit the Reliance World and tell them you need to transfer the connection to the HTC handset, tell them the RSN (that's what they call the MEID) is "unblocked", they may verify it by sending SMS to 53733, after which they will transfer it. Will take just 2-3 min, once done dial *228 and OTA programming will happen and handset gets restarted.
7. You will be able to make calls, SMS etc now.
8. Ask the Reliance World guy to activate 1x data and HSD data (make sure they enable HSD data else EVDO will not work), you should also get an SMS saying data services are activated. Recharge for Rs 94 (data benefits will take about 24 hours to get activated, so check before you start browsing)
9. For the time being if it says Data services unavailable when you try to switch on data, press 'Activate this Device' in the settings page, wait 2 sec and go to settings again and enable data, it should now connect. Fixed it! :D :D
10. Enjoy the device! :)

Step 9 maybe an isolated problem with mine, will check and update if and when its fixed. :)

Fixed the issue with auto connection of data, not sure what fixed it exactly, but here are the last changes that I made after which it started working.

You need to use the tool QPST (I used version 2.7.378, an older version didn't work) for this.

In the M.IP tab, disable all profiles except profile 1 like below

UEQt2or.png

Then edit profile 1 and make changes as below

KrLK5bK.png

Then in RmNet tab enable auto connect for device 0 and 1.

Ud0Ha7v.png

After that
PPP Config --> Um --> Enter user/pass as "net" (Req Pw enc should be unchecked)
PPP Config --> AN --> Enter the EVDO credentials given by the MEID registrar (Req Pw enc should be unchecked)

Please note that I got it working merely by trial and error and some of the above changes may not be required and I am not even sure why they are necessary :p, but with the above configuration I am able to enable data without any problem.

346505381.png

varkey you have made many enemies from rimweb as their source of free money for programming is at stake . All their secrets of programming are out . Keep up the good work for the community .:hail:

varkey you have made many enemies from rimweb as their source of free money for programming is at stake . All their secrets of programming are out . Keep up the good work for the community .:hail:

Hehe! Rimweb is still quite useful and has lot of valuable info in it. But some of the guys do not share the information on the forums, I have no problem in them charging for a service of course they are spending their time on it, but atleast the basic info can be shared with others.

Varkey still paid 500 for meid registration.

The last 2-3 weeks I checked multiple Reliance World stores and none of them are even aware that a foreign phone can be used on Reliance network. They even showed me their computer terminal and no where there is an option to even raise a request for registering a foreign MEID. Even after MEID registration we need other details Akey, EVDO Credentials and the guys in Reliance stores are not trained for all these things. Without Reliance actually training their employees and issuing instructions on how to actually process a request like this, I don't think you will be able to get it done for free.

Secondly there are many different phones available and the steps although similar will be different, an average customer walking in to a store with a foreign handset will not know or even be capable of doing these steps or working with different software tools to get a phone activated and will expect the Reliance store to set up their phone. So it wouldn't be actually possible to Reliance to advertise such a service publicly as the training and resources required would be phenomenal. And the technically sound community like us, who would be capable of activating the handset themselves, is a very very small percentage.

What they could have is a small helpline who would be trained to at-least register a foreign handset, provide the necessary details and also have a general webpage with the FAQs and critical information.

This is one insane thread with a massive amount of CDMA information!

Can those who actually got the phone mention the total cost they had to pay?

This is one insane thread with a massive amount of CDMA information!

Can those who actually got the phone mention the total cost they had to pay?

I paid 49. 99$ at amazon, 3.62 $ for express dhl shipping to hopshopgo, and no customs(bluedart fault) . Gifted the phone to a friend, he might have activated it.

I paid 49. 99$ at amazon, 3.62 $ for express dhl shipping to hopshopgo, and no customs(bluedart fault) . Gifted the phone to a friend, he might have activated it.

Daayum! 3k for a phone selling for over 15k on flipkart is crazy. One more Q, virginmobile is cdma right? because everywhere i look at the one v, it's gsm.

Is there any reason the cdma version could/should be cheaper? I still can't believe the price and also can't believe that i didn't buy it when two separate friends in the US asked me to let them know if i needed anything from there ... :-/

Is there any reason the cdma version could/should be cheaper? I still can't believe the price and also can't believe that i didn't buy it when two separate friends in the US asked me to let them know if i needed anything from there ... :-/

That's because it is CDMA, no sim slot, limited carrier availability, imagine how much making the phone costs if they are selling it at 49.99$.

That's because it is CDMA, no sim slot, limited carrier availability, imagine how much making the phone costs if they are selling it at 49.99$.

The phone was sold at $49.99 as a promotion and it is supposed to be used only on Virgin Mobile. I really don't think the limited carrier is the reason, in US there is Sprint / Verizon / Metro PCS all running CDMA network. Infact they have almost equal number of GSM and CDMA carriers.

Back