MTNL Launches Unlimited 3G Data Plan for Rs. 750 in Mumbai

The speed remains the same.. check my signature.. I am getting > 200 KBps speed in torrent with good number of seeds and in direct downloads :)

But the disconnection issue still remains with MTNL

I've been having issues with my speeds as of 6 PM Friday. Wasn't able to connect for an hour or 2, post which I can't get past 120kb/s DL speeds even with 4 spokes on my signal strength :(

Unrealistic said:
I'm on OSX

cant help in that case then :(

for windows the alternate way i found on their website

Connecting PC with mobile using USB Data Cable

Installing your Mobile as modem on your PC

Install the driver software of your mobile on your desktop/laptop . Do not connect your mobile at this point. Once the driver software is installed you can connect either using mobile software directly or by using dial up connection.For accessing Internet via mobile software(like Nokia PC suite) you just require APN which is gprsppsmum for prepaid and gprsmtnlmum for postpaid connection. Leave the user name and password blank. Dial Number is *99#. For conneting using Dial up connection then follow given steps.

Now go to Start >Settings>Control Panel>Phones& modems

Select ‘Modem’ tab on Phone and Modem Window.

Select the installed modem and click on Properties.

Select ‘Advanced’ tab and type the given text according to your connection type under extra initialization commands

. 1. For Prepaid: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","gprsppsmum"

2. For Postpaid :at+cgdcont=1,"ip","gprsmtnlmum"

Now Click OK. Your mobile is successfully installed as modem

Now create a new dial-up connection to access internet.

Setting up a Dial Connection

Go to Control Panel> Network Connections

Click on ‘Create new Connection’

Click Next on New Connection Wizard

Select ‘Connect to Internet’ option and click Next button

Now select Set up my connection manually & press next

select connect using dial-up connection and click next

Now choose your modem which you have configured press next

Enter ISP name as MTNL & click Next

Leave user name and password blank and press Next

Enter *99# in the phone number field& press next

Now check the create a short-cut on desktop , click finish

Does 3rd Party Un-Locked 3G Dongle works without any problem with ANY 3G Sim Card. I do not want to stuck with particular service provider so with to buy Unlock 3G USB Dongle.

Yes i think others are using those unlocked 3g modem namely the huawei UMG1831 bought from ebay.
@emperor
there is an ebay seller who sells these modem in malad.
You can call him and fix a deal outside of ebay to save some cash ;)
alternately try for demo from other operators for their modem.
Get the model of that modem and google for their unlock code to determine how easy or difficult it is do a free unlock.
This might turn out cheap :S

^ Frequent disconnection is usual with MTNL network. I suggest to use the software "Reconnect" along with windows dialer to avoid this.

^^Shouldn't the Windows dialer suffice? I wanted to control my torrents downloads on it using Teamviewer from office, but MTNL doesn't seem to be in a mood to let me.

I don't think so.. Why can't you use "Reconnect" as it's anyway light weight software, but if you can achieve with windows dialer alone that would be great.

I did use teamviewer, but they rejected the free license after sometime.. Now using LogMeIn, but it's very slow due to long pingtime i guess

ggt said:
Yes i think others are using those unlocked 3g modem namely the huawei UMG1831 bought from ebay.

@emperor

there is an ebay seller who sells these modem in malad.

You can call him and fix a deal outside of ebay to save some cash ;)

alternately try for demo from other operators for their modem.

Get the model of that modem and google for their unlock code to determine how easy or difficult it is do a free unlock.

This might turn out cheap :S

Does MTNL or other 3G service provider will refund any if latter we wish to discontinue with 3G service & return the Dongle, how much if any? . @ MTNL they are now charging ~ Rs.1750/- for 3G Dongle & free data ~ 250mb.

MTNL has introduced a stunning new plan. For 300 + 200 (Add-on), you get unlimited free inter-network calling, free talkime worth Rs. 200 and 2 GB of data!

Questions guys:

1. My friend living in Mumbai, he's gonna buy the 3G stick, and bring it to college. Now where our college is(Karnataka), we have BSNL 3G, good signals here. So the MTNL 3G stick would piggy back on BSNL's network and continue giving me 3G right?

2. The monthly limit is 200GB?

3. Should I buy the stock 3G stick or is there some specific modem with which this 3G sim would work the best?

4. Can we use this sim on our phones for 3G DATA ACCESS only?

sbhas2k said:
Yes... since August 1st it's free for everyone... I paid 449 rs unnecessarily, but no regret anyway :)

What is FREE now? That you paid 449 for?
comp@ddict said:
Questions guys:

1. My friend living in Mumbai, he's gonna buy the 3G stick, and bring it to college. Now where our college is(Karnataka), we have BSNL 3G, good signals here. So the MTNL 3G stick would piggy back on BSNL's network and continue giving me 3G right?

2. The monthly limit is 200GB?

3. Should I buy the stock 3G stick or is there some specific modem with which this 3G sim would work the best?

4. Can we use this sim on our phones for 3G DATA ACCESS only?

I also am based in Mumbai but on my frequent visits to Bangalore and surrounding areas of Bangalore (near Kanakpura Rd) I want to be able to use the connection. Would MTNL DATA roam FREE on BSNL?

Back