MTNL Launches Unlimited 3G Data Plan for Rs. 750 in Mumbai

sbhas2k said:
Still my problem is not solved.. any tips to active HSDPA ??

Things like activation of hsdpa and being charged for that is a thing of past. MTNL website is not updated with this information. If you go to MTNL Mumbai's New website (currently beta) you won't find mention of separate activation of HSDPA.

Also in MTNL Mumbai prepaid, the only apn that worked for me for three series (9957/9969/9869) on prepaid is gprsppsmum. Some users had success with pps3g apn also. mobitv is another apn that has worked for some for internet access as well.
End result is that for 4500 unltd recharge you'll get reasonable good speeds but don't expect that you'd be able to do heavy downloads, particularly if you plan to use it in Mumbai itself. This is not a replacement for your regular broadband connection.

Disclaimer: All of above is of course my personal views and I'm sharing what I've experienced. Please don't bash me if some one is getting very good or very bad speeds. By reasonably good speeds I mean around 512kbps in MTNL Mumbai network and I'm satisfied with it as a Internet on the GO facility. I'm happy that I don't have to pay 30p/20kb for data and that too billed incorrectly ( I hope HAWA tel doesn't sues me for this).

^Same here.. since yesterday evening arnd 7 pm...

^^apn mobiletv (not mobitv) works.. by it's just uploading some data and downloading or browsing not happeneing..

mobiletv is meant to watch tv on mobile i think not for use on pc.

it is connecting now but rarely (once in a blue moon) it connects 1/10 times now.

since yesterday it was not connecting. no 3G no 2G. Now sbhas2k has said it is connecting. Will check when I go back to home (no mobile in office :( ).

apn mobiletv is meant for watching TV but it worked for data also for few customers. On Internet there were many so called MTNL 3G hacks floating that used this apn. Some users reported success with this.

I was worried that it was only me who is having problem with MTNL gprs.

bigbyte said:
Things like activation of hsdpa and being charged for that is a thing of past. MTNL website is not updated with this information. If you go to MTNL Mumbai's New website (currently beta) you won't find mention of separate activation of HSDPA.

Also in MTNL Mumbai prepaid, the only apn that worked for me for three series (9957/9969/9869) on prepaid is gprsppsmum. Some users had success with pps3g apn also. mobitv is another apn that has worked for some for internet access as well.
End result is that for 4500 unltd recharge you'll get reasonable good speeds but don't expect that you'd be able to do heavy downloads, particularly if you plan to use it in Mumbai itself. This is not a replacement for your regular broadband connection.

Disclaimer: All of above is of course my personal views and I'm sharing what I've experienced. Please don't bash me if some one is getting very good or very bad speeds. By reasonably good speeds I mean around 512kbps in MTNL Mumbai network and I'm satisfied with it as a Internet on the GO facility. I'm happy that I don't have to pay 30p/20kb for data and that too billed incorrectly ( I hope HAWA tel doesn't sues me for this).
check this link. HSDPA activation is still metioned over here, however from old site.. New site may not be updated completely (in beta)

MTNL 3G Jadoo DataCard Booking

Hi Guys,

I have an MTS Data Card which doesn't even work in my building in Borivali. I am planning to get a new connection. I saw the MTNL 3G current 4500 offer, and it is very enticing. However, I want to wade the water for better offers / advantages if there are any.

Here are my requirements / limitations:
1. Monthly budget - INR 1000
2. Good connectivity around Mumbai
3. Good roaming connectivity all across India
4. No heavy downloading, but lots of traveling

I had the following questions:
  1. What is the procedure for downloading using MTNL 3G?I understand that I have to buy a 3G SIM and a HSDPA Card separately. Can I use my LG phone for the purpose?
  2. If I have to buy the HSDPA card, which is the best one to get?
  3. What's the procedure to get the connection activated?
  4. What documents will I need for the connection?
  5. Any alternatives that I can look at apart from MTNL. I have an MTNL 2G sim, and it has been pathetic for me. Too many call drops and voice clarity is awful.
I will appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mallik

^first try your current sim in UMTS mode for internet speed or signal strength before taking the leap.

if your phone is an HSDPA you can use your phone as a 3g modem , so no need for a data card.

^ My current SIM is not 3G enabled. So I am not sure if this UMTS mode will work on my phone. Also, will the MTNL 3G work on Linux? Also I will have to figure out how to use my phone as modem. Apparently, it can be used as one without a cable (Since it is Android 2.2 - Froyo).

mallik said:
Hi Guys,

I have an MTS Data Card which doesn't even work in my building in Borivali. I am planning to get a new connection. I saw the MTNL 3G current 4500 offer, and it is very enticing. However, I want to wade the water for better offers / advantages if there are any.

Here are my requirements / limitations:

1. Monthly budget - INR 1000

2. Good connectivity around Mumbai

3. Good roaming connectivity all across India

4. No heavy downloading, but lots of traveling

I had the following questions:

1. What is the procedure for downloading using MTNL 3G?I understand that I have to buy a 3G SIM and a HSDPA Card separately. Can I use my LG phone for the purpose?
  2. If I have to buy the HSDPA card, which is the best one to get?
  3. What's the procedure to get the connection activated?
  4. What documents will I need for the connection?
  5. Any alternatives that I can look at apart from MTNL. I have an MTNL 2G sim, and it has been pathetic for me. Too many call drops and voice clarity is awful.

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mallik
If you not into download and just want to surf with good roaming all over india, Go for reliance broadband+ or reliance 3G.. MTNL is not an option for you.

mallik said:
^ My current SIM is not 3G enabled. So I am not sure if this UMTS mode will work on my phone. Also, will the MTNL 3G work on Linux? Also I will have to figure out how to use my phone as modem. Apparently, it can be used as one without a cable (Since it is Android 2.2 - Froyo).
since its froyo it will support tethering, u just need to install software from android market called easytether.
u can check 3g connectivity by turning your 2g sim into 3g, check mtnl jadoo webpage for more.

sbhas2k said:
If you not into download and just want to surf with good roaming all over india, Go for reliance broadband+ or reliance 3G.. MTNL is not an option for you.

I will be roaming around in remote parts of India (in villages of Vidharba say, or Orissa). So will Reliance Netconnect work there? I will atleast get EDGE / GPRS from BSNL if I have an MTNL card, to browse. I think I will have to get a new 3G SIM from a MTNL office. Will go on Monday and check.

@ multi: I am not sure if a 2G SIM can be used for 3G.

Here it's clearly given that I will need another SIM: Dolphin

Q: Will 3G services be enabled on my existing SIM?

A: No For 3G services, there are separate SIM called USIM. USIM can be obtained from MTNL after subscribing the 3G services from MTNL.

Thanks

Mallik

^ Yeah my bad there. The customer service people made me believe that it was not so. The SIM is the same, regardless of the service you use. Anyway, I have been trying to recharge online the 4500 package for 6 months, and am unable to do so today. It keeps giving me "Transaction Failed" error. Has anyone else faced the same problem? Also, is there any alternate way to purchase this coupon apart from the online option, like going through a physical channel?

Thanks,

Mallik

So you are in borivali too.
No Wonder i have been getting low speeds from some days :p.
I would prefer you get it done through their exchange.

Back