MTNL Launches Unlimited 3G Data Plan for Rs. 750 in Mumbai

I am sitting in Tardeo right now, in my office. And haven't used 3G on my phone till today :p

Waise are you sure it can be done through the exchange? I had gone to the Gamdevi Exchange,and they had no clue what I was talking about :p

Told me to do it online. But the "transaction fail" message pops up everytime. Tried a 50 Rs topup which happened fine. Don't know what the problem is. I have a prepaid connection btw.

Edit: Apparently some problem at their end. Told me to do it later.

^ i have tried 500 recharge and went fine without any hiccups, waiting to do 4.5k one once my HSDPA data gets over.. Let me know once you get through.

Activation charge 449 Rs and one will get 449 MB free usage for a month..

Two ways to know abt HSDPA activation

1) The obvious one, money will be deducted from the account (i have prepaid connection)

2) Send an SMS "ENQFREE" to 444 and after 30 min or so, one will get sms with promotional data available. Exact SMS is as below ;)

Dear Subscriber, Free Promotions Available in Your Account are:-

Call(Sec)=0,

SMS=0,

Video(Sec)=0,

Data(KB)=164114.

sbhas2k said:
Activation charge 449 Rs and one will get 449 MB free usage for a month..

Two ways to know abt HSDPA activation

1) The obvious one, money will be deducted from the account (i have prepaid connection)

2) Send an SMS "ENQFREE" to 444 and after 30 min or so, one will get sms with promotional data available. Exact SMS is as below ;)

Just to clarify, why would one activate HSPDA additionally? Isn't the SIM already 3G?

^I too am not sure why one needs to activate it since i do get above 270 + speeds(not regularly but some days).
I do not know if should get it activated :S

Unrealistic said:
Just to clarify, why would one activate HSPDA additionally? Isn't the SIM already 3G?

Apparently MTNL 3G is restricted to 384kbps speed, so if you want higher speed then HSDPA needs to be activated. Kindly check from the link below and also your question regarding 3G speed.

MTNL 3G FAQ

What kind of speed should I expect from 3G?

You will experience broadband speeds up to 2 Mbps. Using HSDPA services you can experience speed up to 3.6 Mbps.

AFAIK one shd get around 2Mbps speed, but capped at 384kbps in Mumbai. Check my signature w.r.t the speed you acheived once HSDPA gets activated. ATB

^^The FAQ says one should get 2 Mbps but if HSDPA is activated then it will be 3.6 Mbps. They have not mentioned anything about capping at 384 kbps.

Btw if the capping is only in Mumbai then anyone interested in using it outside would not face any issues and need not activate HSDPA then i guess.

Has someone actually bought the SIM from Mumbai and tested it outside (Esp Pune) ??

i got the 4500 unlimited for 6 months mtnl 3g plan yesterday for my datacard, the service center people said that there was no need to activate HSPDA as it gets activated automatically when we make first call.

The sevice center people also said that the speed for the unlimited plan is 2 Mbps but i'm getting about 1.8-2.2 Mbps
1352413012.png

^^So can you tell us the full cost and breakup of the same ? Like how much the SIM cost and if you used any low priced plan initially to test the connection and all such.

Btw when is this offer of MTNL getting over ?

anuragingle said:
i got the 4500 unlimited for 6 months mtnl 3g plan yesterday for my datacard, the service center people said that there was no need to activate HSPDA as it gets activated automatically when we make first call.

The sevice center people also said that the speed for the unlimited plan is 2 Mbps but i'm getting about 1.8-2.2 Mbps

1352413012.png
I guess you purchased datacard along with SIM from MTNL itself, if yes then HSDPA will be activated by default else once needs to activate manually..

@raksrules : Dunno about pune, but in Mumbai it's capped at 384 kbps if gets only the 3G sim and uses with anyother datacard..

I found an year old Mumbai MTNL SIM card with some balance. How can i check whether there is any data whatsoever available in that and what the access points points to access the 3G data ? Also what minimum 3G packs available to verify whether i can use 3G on this SIM card and whether i need any sort of HSDPA etc activation or not.

Help appreciated.

@raksrules

got the mtnl datacard and sim for 1799, sim comes with 30 days vaildity and 2 GB of data usage to be used before the end of the month.

then i paid 47 for lifetime validity for sim and 4500 for the 6 months plan.

The old mtnl website says that the 4500 plans are available only for 90 days from 16/05/2011

http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/3gweb/tariff_3Gmobile.html

But the new beta website does not have any such date.

To be on the safe side get the plan before august

raksrules said:
I found an year old Mumbai MTNL SIM card with some balance. How can i check whether there is any data whatsoever available in that and what the access points points to access the 3G data ? Also what minimum 3G packs available to verify whether i can use 3G on this SIM card and whether i need any sort of HSDPA etc activation or not.

Help appreciated.

Since it's an year old, there might be a possibility that it may not be activated for 3G. So activate 3G by send sms ACT3G to 444 (prepaid) or 555 (postpaid). No charges for 3G activation.

They try to use the internet (u can use the existing balance at 1p/10kb) with apn gprsppsmum (for prepaid) or gprsmtnlmum(for postpaid) and dial in number *99#

If you getting good speed above 384 kbps then no need to activate HSDPA and go for 4.5k recharge or else follow the procedure for HSDPA activation.

All the best.

@anuragingle : As said, if one gets datacard from MTNL, HSDPA will be activated by default.

Ok so much confusion here.. Let me clarify some things...

sbhas2k is correct.. if you purchase datacard along with SIM from MTNL itself, if yes then HSDPA will be activated by default else once needs to activate manually..

GGT ka separate case hai.. he must be having a sim from the age when it was 3g was just being prepared for launch and some people got free 3g ..

On a normal sim speeds are restricted to 384kbps, if QOS shown in MDMA is any indication. Real world speeds also never to above this limit. But same sim While in roaming in BSNL shows QOS of 2048 in MDMA.

There are no separate charges for Roaming. Recharge 4500 is not available in physical form and online recharges are also getting cancelled some times.

raksrules said:
Help appreciated.
you can check your talktime balance by dialling *444#
also your old sim had 3g activated by default.
Try connecting it with gprsppsmum apn.
Try some minimum 3g packs for a speedtest. If it gives appropriate speeds you do not need to activate HSDPA.

sbhas2k said:
Since it's an year old, there might be a possibility that it may not be activated for 3G. So activate 3G by send sms ACT3G to 444 (prepaid) or 555 (postpaid). No charges for 3G activation.

They try to use the internet (u can use the existing balance at 1p/10kb) with apn gprsppsmum (for prepaid) or gprsmtnlmum(for postpaid) and dial in number *99#
If you getting good speed above 384 kbps then no need to activate HSDPA and go for 4.5k recharge or else follow the procedure for HSDPA activation.
All the best.
@anuragingle : As said, if one gets datacard from MTNL, HSDPA will be activated by default.
Ok so tried with the SIM card. Did not do any activation of 3G since i remember that when i got the card last year the MTNL aunty told me that the card is pre activated for 3G. In 3G mode, i got max 500 kbps in phone's speed test and even on PC speedtest. Also IDM never went above 70 kBps and was settling at 40-50 kBps. So i guess speed is capped in my card. No HSDPA enabled i think.

Just picked up a new Prepaid 3G SIM Card from MTNL - took me all of 10 minutes. Will plug it into my iPhone 3GS and do a few speed tests. Picked up the 99 IRS 15 day validity 130MB Plan, it's the only one available :\

Hopefully it works fine around the areas I need to use it :p

Prolly go for a data card and 4500 recharge if things look good.

ggt said:
you can check your talktime balance by dialling *444#

also your old sim had 3g activated by default.

Try connecting it with gprsppsmum apn.

Try some minimum 3g packs for a speedtest. If it gives appropriate speeds you do not need to activate HSDPA.
As i said, speeds are stuck to 500 kbps and i am sure it is not network issue since i have a BSNL SIM which gives 2+ Mbps and this MTNL uses same network. I would have tested on MDMA but due the issue in my computer (Cannot use anything except mobile partner) i cannot check the negotiated QoS and all. But i can try that over the weekend in Mumbai. Will report then.

Incase HSDPA is not activated, what to do and how to get it done? Also does it cost anything ? (bad if it does)

Back