MTNL Launches Unlimited 3G Data Plan for Rs. 750 in Mumbai

raksrules said:
As i said, speeds are stuck to 500 kbps and i am sure it is not network issue since i have a BSNL SIM which gives 2+ Mbps and this MTNL uses same network. I would have tested on MDMA but due the issue in my computer (Cannot use anything except mobile partner) i cannot check the negotiated QoS and all. But i can try that over the weekend in Mumbai. Will report then.
Incase HSDPA is not activated, what to do and how to get it done? Also does it cost anything ? (bad if it does)
yeah man HSDPA does cost something .
i get better speeds at night.
during days i get speeds max 70KB/sec. so i too might have to activate HSDPA :S
sbhas2k said:
Activation charge 449 Rs and one will get 449 MB free usage for a month..

Two ways to know abt HSDPA activation
1) The obvious one, money will be deducted from the account (i have prepaid connection)
2) Send an SMS "ENQFREE" to 444 and after 30 min or so, one will get sms with promotional data available. ;)

from the website
FOR EXISTING TRUMP CUSTOMERS:

Ensure a talk value of at least Rs.475/ - by charging with a suitable voucher.
Activate HSDPA service by sending SMS 'ACT HSDPA' to '444'.
Activation charges of Rs.449/- will be deducted from prepaid account. On insufficient balance, customer needs to recharge to maintain the balance of Rs.475/- and send the ACT message again.
After HSDPA activation, customer will get 449 MB free for 1 month and life time HSDPA validity
The data charge is fixed at Rs.1/MB(pulse rate is 1ps/10KB) in MTNL home n/w only.
While in national roaming a tariff of 1p/10KB will be applicable for data usages.
Roaming Charges: Data download charges 1p/10KB while roaming outside home network
A minimum balance of Rs.25/- is required to be maintained for availing HSDPA facility.
The customer can maintain minimum balance requirement by using Top up vouchers.
If the customer fails to maintain a minimum balance of Rs.25,HSDPA facility will be barred.
Recharge with any of the data vouchers as per Table 'A' in Annexure for increased data download requirements

source
MTNL 3G Jadoo DataCard Booking

Also after a long long struggle (almost 3 weeks), i got my HSDPA activated as well as one can see in my signature.

I did recharge with 4.5k yesterday, tried Rs.50 recharge before that just to make sure online recharge works fine :) Whola.. now I get consistent speed above 250KBps in torrents and downloaded more that 10GB in a single day.

Note: For 4.5k recharge the FUP is set at 800GB. No one knows what will happen if anyone cross the limit, but i am sure hardly anyone does..

I read somewhere on IBF that one has to send SMS ENQFREE to 444 and if we get a return message then it means HSDPA is active. I did send the SMS and got a message in returning saying

Dear Subscriber, Free promotions available in your account are

Call=0,

sms=0

video=0

data(kB) = 0

So i am not sure whether HSDPA is active or not on my number.

^ message with some data availability.. In your case it's zero.

why can't you try speedtest and post your result.. If it's more that 1MBps then HSDPA active, other no..

So is there anyone who has used the MTNL 3G in BSNL network in Pune (or elsewhere) and if yes then please post your experiences in terms of speed in home and roaming network.

raksrules said:
So is there anyone who has used the MTNL 3G in BSNL network in Pune (or elsewhere) and if yes then please post your experiences in terms of speed in home and roaming network.
I am also interested in knowing this....

Hey guys, can someone throw me a link to a website where I can Top Up my MTNL 3G SIM with the 4,500 IRS Data plan? I've been googling all over the place, but can't figure out which website I ought to use to recharge for a Mumbai SIM.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mucho gracias!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I got a query, I've setup the following details on my Hauwei 1831:

APN: gprsppsmum

User: mtnl

PW: mtnl123

Auth Type: PAP

I'm on MAC OSX using the Mobile Partner Dialer / SW that came preinstalled with the 3G Modem.

Now, the problem is that I connect on the EDGE / GPRS network :(

I can barely load web pages, let alone figure out how to get onto the 3G Network.

Anyone out here who can maybe help me out with a new Dialer and/or the correct settings to make sure I access the 3G network? When I try to choose the networks, it doesn't give me a 3G option.

Help would be sincerely appreciated guys.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

So I called up 1503, got some useless information from them.

Apparently the details I've entered are correct, it's just that the network was really weak at Andheri (W). I've come to Malad (W) and I've got 5 bars and am connected on HSDPA.

Unfortunately, all I'm getting is 0.4 MBPS according to speed test. Moreover, downloads won't go past 40kb/s.

Maybe I need to invest another 449 and activate HSDPA maybe?! Any suggestions folks? Will try Speedtests at random intervals and by D/C'ing a few times. Hopefully I'll get something better /shrug

The process is ridiculously slow. I get a confirmation stating that HSDPA will be activate in an hour - and then nothing. I've been trying for almost 3 days now. What gives? :|

Unrealistic said:
The process is ridiculously slow. I get a confirmation stating that HSDPA will be activate in an hour - and then nothing. I've been trying for almost 3 days now. What gives? :|
It wont get activated by SMS. Call up their CC and enquire. I almost waited for 3 weeks for activation... If nothing works out, let me know.. Let me see how can i help you, if you really interested.

Ot it activated, however the network is epic fail in my area. I like at Lokhandwala, Andheri (W) and I connect at EDGE / GPRS with 1-3 signal strength. I tried it at another addy at Malad, still sucky.

So far, got good speed at one location out of 7.

This is ridiculous :(

Unrealistic said:
Ot it activated, however the network is epic fail in my area. I like at Lokhandwala, Andheri (W) and I connect at EDGE / GPRS with 1-3 signal strength. I tried it at another addy at Malad, still sucky.

So far, got good speed at one location out of 7.

This is ridiculous :(
My suggestion, Get a USB Extension cable upto 2 to 5 metres. I am sure at some place inside your house you might be getting 3G signal (even at bed someplace.. I get full at corner of my bed.. so use my extension and always make sure my datacard is there)... Keep it at a place where you get 3G signal and u are good to go..

I too use the USB cable, only connecting the modem in laptop gives 2 bars in WCDMA mode while using cable and placing the modem near balcony gives full bars and full speed.

PS: BSNL 3G in Pune.

I'll give it a shot.

BTW, in WCDMA mode I get HSPDA. On GSM network I just connect on EDGE / GPRS.

Managed to go to a friends place in Malad and do a speed test, got ambit consistently and was downloading google chrome at 250kb/s.

If the extension cable works, I'd be sorted!

^ WCDMA is 3G and HSDPA is an extenstion of 3G (called 3.5 G)
similarly Edge (2.5G) is an extension of GPRS (2G)

Also often speedtest.net won't give the true picture, as sometime it says 0.5MBps speed, but i used to get > 200KBps download in torrents (arnd 2MBps speed)

Back