Nokia 5230 listed for 8.5k in ebay

hiviky2212 said:
Hmmm check with some ram clean application , mine generally hovers around 50mb , i use fring opera n music app together then it goes 30 -35 with contact homescreen and using large size pics for your contact screen user a lot of ram . Do check that also

Facing huge problems with memory on 5230
Earlier it would give me an error saying "C:phone Memory out of memory" when I would open 5-6 apps together which is understandable. But acouple of days back, I started getting the error frequently. I checked my memory status and found C:phone Memory had only 2 MB free.
I uninstalled the new Ovi Maps yesterday, since it accounted for about 8 MB, and free memory jumped to 10MB. But today morning, all that free memory is vanished and it shows 144 KB free

Where is my memory going ?????
Checking details of the drive shows 75 MB out of 82MB in C:phone Memory is accounted by 'Others'
I installed Xplore to try and see where was the memory going, and it also showed only 18.5 MB of total file size in C:\Phone Memory in use. The rest 73 MB again unaccounted for.

I use Nokia emal to sync my gmail all the day, so it could be one of the reasons. I use maps pretty frequently, and the earlier version of Gmaps used to cache maps in the drive - could be that was well

Any ideas how to tackle this ?
What the hell is happening?

grunthos said:
Facing huge problems with memory on 5230
Earlier it would give me an error saying "C:phone Memory out of memory" when I would open 5-6 apps together which is understandable. But acouple of days back, I started getting the error frequently. I checked my memory status and found C:phone Memory had only 2 MB free.
I uninstalled the new Ovi Maps yesterday, since it accounted for about 8 MB, and free memory jumped to 10MB. But today morning, all that free memory is vanished and it shows 144 KB free

Where is my memory going ?????
Checking details of the drive shows 75 MB out of 82MB in C:phone Memory is accounted by 'Others'
I installed Xplore to try and see where was the memory going, and it also showed only 18.5 MB of total file size in C:\P
hone Memory in use. The rest 73 MB again unaccounted for.

I use Nokia emal to sync my gmail all the day, so it could be one of the reasons. I use maps pretty frequently, and the earlier version of Gmaps used to cache maps in the drive - could be that was well

Any ideas how to tackle this ?
What the hell is happening?

wow thats like the complete report from QA in my office :eek:hyeah:

hmmm i guess you using the default browser and most of your other files in memory are the cache and other private data , just clean all the private data in your browser , you be surprised to see the results :bleh:

hiviky2212 said:
wow thats like the complete report from QA in my office :eek:hyeah:

hmmm i guess you using the default browser and most of your other files in memory are the cache and other private data , just clean all the private data in your browser , you be surprised to see the results :bleh:

Actually have been using Opera for the last couple of weeks.
But I tried your solution for both Opera as well as default browser - no effect

Shows 292 KB free now

i think you must have installed some Java apps (with .jar extension) because even if you install them on memory card, it seems that java apps are kinda extracted in the phone memory before installing. But i am not able to find the location of the temporary folder.

harryneopotter said:
i think you must have installed some Java apps (with .jar extension) because even if you install them on memory card, it seems that java apps are kinda extracted in the phone memory before installing. But i am not able to find the location of the temporary folder.

I have manually gone through each and every folder in Phone Memory - it adds up to only 18 MB
It itself doesnt know where the rest of 76 MB is !!!

In worst case scenario, you may need to reset (soft / hard) the phone to reclaim the memory.
Backup your contacts and everything before you attempt a reset.

Question: Are there 3rd party application and games available for the Nokia 5230 ??? Also is there a torrent application for it ??

raksrules said:

Don't take the risk of buying from a new seller with only total of 5 sales.

^^ So 8950 - 10% less (hope to get a 10% coupon) = 8055 rupees shipped

Is it a good price to pay for this phone ???

I read on gsmarena that stylus is NOT available in 5230. Is it true ??? :O

raksrules said:

Well i think anything till 8.5k is a good price. The phone in india comes with a stylus and i think its same in other asian countries

raksrules said:
Question: Are there 3rd party application and games available for the Nokia 5230 ??? Also is there a torrent application for it ??

Its a Symbian S60 5th Edition phone
There are tons of applications available for it!

grunthos said:
I have manually gone through each and every folder in Phone Memory - it adds up to only 18 MB
It itself doesnt know where the rest of 76 MB is !!!

I managed to diagnose & cure my phone :) !!!
And the culprit is Google Maps - just resetting Google Maps gave me 27 MB free memory
Here is a great article about what to do if you are in the same situation
How to free up space on disk C on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - All About Symbian Feature

raksrules said:

You get stylus with both 5230 and 5233.

abbY said:
Guys,
I have a small tip for you all, disable the haptic feedback (the vibrations that occour when you touch the screen to perform any function), it has had a positive influence on my battery life. I would say my battery life has improved by 30 -50 %

HOW TO REMOVE THE vibration :)

Why does some pdf files like pc world , pc magazine , pc gamer etc( the ones which have lot of images)

doesnt open using adobe pdf in 5230

i could open it partially and that took at least 2-3 mins

while the some other plain text pdf files of same size rather even two to three times greater opens perfectly

Nokia 5230 with 2 GB Card + Data Cable ??

Today I got the delivery of Nokia 5230 purchased from ebay as it was not available with any dealer here in Delhi. I liked the phone much but to my great surprise there is one Nokia Data Cable and 2 GB micro SD card in the pack. I was not aware of the card until I connected it to my computer and it shows me 2 GB memory. How it is possible ? Everywhere I read that it comes without any card/datacable.

Back