WP Nokia Lumia 520 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i

Yes, this works flawless. Sign-on to the same account, and make sure "find my phone" option is checked in the phone.
I can see the setting on windows site.

What I am talking about is configuring it in the phone.
When I go to settings, I can see "find my phone" status as OFF.
However, when I tap and get in, the "use find my phone" feature is switched ON.

Does this warrant Nokia customer care intervention?

Also, I realized very funny thing you cannot CALL back a person who has send you an sms.
There is no means present in windows phone that allows you to call back

I only have older HTC HD7 WP7 phone but for "find my phone" you also need to enable "location" (gps) option.

To call back a person who sent an SMS, did you try touching the person's name/number then clicking the call option that should show up?

I don't need to actually "call back" if I have that person in my phone book.
Its when I get an sms from "unknown" number.
How should I call back? By memorizing the number?

Also I find it really asinine on Microsoft's part to not allow editing of dialed numbers!!
Seriously, what were the jokers in Redmond smoking?

These are basic phone usage criteria, which Nokia would be very much aware of. (Their phones were the best in the usability department)

I don't need to actually "call back" if I have that person in my phone book.
Its when I get an sms from "unknown" number.
How should I call back? By memorizing the number?

Press the number displayed on top of the message. You'll have two options under profile - call number and text.

Press the number displayed on top of the message. You'll have two options under profile - call number and text.

Thanks! but what about the other problem of not being able to edit the number that I dialed, or got a call from.
All I can do is copy and paste before dialing again, but no editing!

No way around unfortunately. Dialing from the keypad or saving the number to a contact and then editing it is the only alternative. WP has its share of cons but I guess we've got to live with it.

There's no stopwatch or countdown timer. The cheapest Nokia has it! :rolleyes:

Anyone tried using the "find my phone"?
Not working for me
I haven't done it on a 520, but it works just fine on the 920. Have you enabled it in the settings on your phone (settings -> find my phone -> CHECK Save my phone's location periodically...)

Thanks! but what about the other problem of not being able to edit the number that I dialed, or got a call from.
All I can do is copy and paste before dialing again, but no editing!
I've been using the phone for a month and i've never had to do that. Rest of it is simple. Things that you ahve to do once in a month dont justify changing the simplicity of the rest of the platform.
I've got into an amazing flow with the OS. Love it.

No way around unfortunately. Dialing from the keypad or saving the number to a contact and then editing it is the only alternative. WP has its share of cons but I guess we've got to live with it.

There's no stopwatch or countdown timer. The cheapest Nokia has it! :rolleyes:
There are like a zillion apps for stopwatch:p

Hey guys is it true that apps, especially games, are badly optimized for WP8 ? I read somewhere that dual krait on wp8 is like dual cortex a9 on ics 4.0.
Also read that games take too much of ram. Is it true ?
No its not true. Thats a load of generalization and bad one at that. The processor if I hazard a guess are at part with the likes of those in Samsung grand. And the graphics card is also wayy amazing for its price.. And you dont have to worry about ram in wp8. Keep opening apps, it works just as smooth.

There are like a zillion apps for stopwatch:p

True that but why make the user search for one when it could have been given preinstalled from the factory? :)

It is such a simple app and one that most users use. Agreed there may be a million ones out there but doesn't beat Nokia/MS providing one.

True that but why make the user search for one when it ndroid could have been given preinstalled from the factory? :)

It is such a simple app and one that most users use. Agreed there may be a million ones out there but doesn't beat Nokia/MS providing one.

Stock Android phones do not come with a stopwatch/countdown timer app either. At least mine(LG Optimus One) did not.

True that but why make the user search for one when it could have been given preinstalled from the factory? :)

Haha fair enough :)

Is there any app which transfers my content(Texts, WhatsApp chats) from Android to L520 ?
Whats app backs up the text.Just go to setting and you'l see. I think you can restore it easily. AS for texts and contacts, back it up to microsoft account and find a service to restore it to android. I think it shouldnt be too hard.

Whats app backs up the text.Just go to setting and you'l see. I think you can restore it easily. AS for texts and contacts, back it up to microsoft account and find a service to restore it to android. I think it shouldnt be too hard.

Whatsapp just saves the logs to inbuilt memory/sd card and not their servers. So you can not restore the backups in any other device. Please correct if I am wrong :)

Whatsapp just saves the logs to inbuilt memory/sd card and not their servers. So you can not restore the backups in any other device. Please correct if I am wrong :)
Yes... By default Its set to make backup to your internal memory/sd card at 4 am :D

Any user can share whatsapp review on WP8.
Notifications work like Android/iOS?

I want to get a Lumia 520 but I am addicted to whatsapp.

It's very slow, a huge battery hogger because of using Audio API for keeping connections awake all the time. sometimes notifications never arrive on time, very buggy :( . I would tell you to wait for Whatsapp to update their WP8 software. It should be coming by early june I guess. Depending upon the reviews, you can go for a Lumia or else stick to your Droid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back