Nokia N8 Thread

Dude... inside the menu , it is just a grid of icons ! How much differentiation do you want ? Also , there is spanking new browser coming out next month for the N8. Even the present one is not bad.

If you want me to specifically test something , lemme know, i will video it for you. I am really loving my N8

^ Not really sure, since the seller does mention about Nokia warranty. Question might be Nokia warranty in which country :D Listing ended.

Fiddling with the N8 for a while now. Feel like n8 is worth abt 18k.

Probably the first case where an excellent piece of hardware is damned in the price dept like that due to the OS it carries.

Only prev nokia users will find it super duper sorta experience. Any body decently acquainted with Android's gonna be asking Why The stubbornness Nokia ???

- Browser is dated. No prizes m gonna get for that verification. I did felt like sleeping in between.

- Another sore point was the lack of touchwiz/swype kinda stuff and also the missing qwerty keypad when i held the phone normally (portrait mode). Nokia what u been doing during testing/feedback meetings of urs ??

- No dual speakers meant no sorround sound experience. Even an N79 got those.

- Body is ipodesque anodized aluminium which means any chance of it getting a scratch and the metal beneath will shimmer and stick out like a sore thumb.

- Yes i could read my ebook pretty nicely after few adjustment for the screen, cant call it an experience like the Galaxy S's though.

- I used it with 3-4 apps running in the background and felt no lag (no downloading here).. if i remember my Nokia 5800's performance properly that is.

In comparison to Android it wasnt that fluid.

- Screen was crisp during vids and seems like only Galaxy 9000 will make it look inferior

- Plethora of Codecs and Formats support for the multimedia files really was good to see.

- Camera delivers as promised. Pics as Well as Video Recording.

- SMS typing experience was pretty good even w/o swype. Tactile response was well replicated by the subtle but effective vibrations. Impressive.

- Prolly best of the symbian fone to come out.

- Played even the 480p xyz.m4v format file (size 1 GB) which isnt enlisted. Talk abt unexpected goodies.

- The bulk on the back might be a bit offsetting though but can be understood as prolly its housing the Camera assembly and the Speaker.

Being a non dual speaker, it does pulls off the job but the Speakerphone experience still lacks the feel though.

The N8 verdict: Performance wise it delivers but the experience is not without major grunts. Anybody not intending to lug a camera on avg/decent trips should consider this.

Spacescreamer said:
Fiddling with the N8 for a while now. Feel like n8 is worth abt 18k.

Probably the first case where an excellent piece of hardware is damned in the price dept like that due to the OS it carries.

Only prev nokia users will find it super duper sorta experience. Any body decently acquainted with Android's gonna be asking Why The stubbornness Nokia ???

- Browser is dated. No prizes m gonna get for that verification. I did felt like sleeping in between.

- Another sore point was the lack of touchwiz/swype kinda stuff and also the missing qwerty keypad when i held the phone normally (portrait mode). Nokia what u been doing during testing/feedback meetings of urs ??

- No dual speakers meant no sorround sound experience. Even an N79 got those.

- Body is ipodesque anodized aluminium which means any chance of it getting a scratch and the metal beneath will shimmer and stick out like a sore thumb.

- Yes i could read my ebook pretty nicely after few adjustment for the screen, cant call it an experience like the Galaxy S's though.

- I used it with 3-4 apps running in the background and felt no lag (no downloading here).. if i remember my Nokia 5800's performance properly that is.

In comparison to Android it wasnt that fluid.

- Screen was crisp during vids and seems like only Galaxy 9000 will make it look inferior

- Plethora of Codecs and Formats support for the multimedia files really was good to see.

- Camera delivers as promised. Pics as Well as Video Recording.

- SMS typing experience was pretty good even w/o swype. Tactile response was well replicated by the subtle but effective vibrations. Impressive.

- Prolly best of the symbian fone to come out.

- Played even the 480p xyz.m4v format file (size 1 GB) which isnt enlisted. Talk abt unexpected goodies.

- The bulk on the back might be a bit offsetting though but can be understood as prolly its housing the Camera assembly and the Speaker.

Being a non dual speaker, it does pulls off the job but the Speakerphone experience still lacks the feel though.

The N8 verdict: Performance wise it delivers but the experience is not without major grunts. Anybody not intending to lug a camera on avg/decent trips should consider this.

Come on!! Interface matters, but not SO much that you discount a 12mplx camera, hdmi out, usb OTG and other awesome features!

Its just launched, give it some time for the software upgrades!!

On a side note, n8 with a win phone 7 would have rocked so much!!

fone performs, but the OS is the disappointment. Once you try to use it after android, u ll know. I really did tried to fall in love with this phone but the OS keeps making me crib because i been using android based phone for the past month or so.

Its more like throwing in great h/w to let the OS survive.

No doubt the camera is great and stuff.. but OS is a strict no no. an upgraded h/w on 5800 is what it seems like and you know what happened to the prices of 5800 after all the hype ?

Spacescreamer said:
fone performs, but the OS is the disappointment. Once you try to use it after android, u ll know. I really did tried to fall in love with this phone but the OS keeps making me crib because i been using android based phone for the past month or so.

Its more like throwing in great h/w to let the OS survive.

No doubt the camera is great and stuff.. but OS is a strict no no. an upgraded h/w on 5800 is what it seems like and you know what happened to the prices of 5800 after all the hype ?
Absolutely agree with u there m8. after using the N900, the fone (only the OS) feels like sh!t.
I am cursing myself now after buying it.
The only good point is that the fone is a lot slimmer than the N900.

I have some queries:

1. I have heard that, just like iOS, Nokia will also release OS Updates/Firmware Updates for Nokia N8, which will add more features/functionality/stability to the Symbian OS. Is this true or a Rumor?

2. Again in this phone, the main Crap thing is the OS, so Nokia doesn't know How to build a Great/Stable/Reliable OS or is this all done intentionally?

Regards

Mrin

mrintech said:
I have some queries:

1. I have heard that, just like iOS, Nokia will also release OS Updates/Firmware Updates for Nokia N8, which will add more features/functionality/stability to the Symbian OS. Is this true or a Rumor?

Most probably true. Comes firmware updates are coming. like Nokia 5800 was around v11 when I brought it. but it have seen multiple 'updates' to firmware. now I am running v51. mostly it was bug fixed but new features were added too. I expect nokia to give same or better treatment to n8 which is their flagship device.
2. Again in this phone, the main Crap thing is the OS, so Nokia doesn't know How to build a Great/Stable/Reliable OS or is this all done intentionally?

Nokia hung on symbian ride for too long, while other made iOS,Androids. Also, Symbian was designed for keypad devices, so it does do justice with touch interface.NOkia is now trying to catchup with a completely new mobile OS based on Linux. Its called meego and intel is partner. so expect good stuff from nokia soon

I am considering buying the N8. I don't really use a lot of applications nor have I ever tried Android. I am pretty comfortable with Nokia's interface since I have only used them before other than my Blackberry. Should I get it or wait for something else? The only applications that I would use would be maybe the Ovi maps, Facebook and Twitter. Just confused and thinking of going for the N8 as it will spare me the expense of purchasing an ultra compact camera as well.

N8 users please post your feedback and advise. Thanks.

Mohit said:
I am considering buying the N8. I don't really use a lot of applications nor have I ever tried Android. I am pretty comfortable with Nokia's interface since I have only used them before other than my Blackberry. Should I get it or wait for something else? The only applications that I would use would be maybe the Ovi maps, Facebook and Twitter. Just confused and thinking of going for the N8 as it will spare me the expense of purchasing an ultra compact camera as well.

N8 users please post your feedback and advise. Thanks.
From my limited usage of the phone at the Nokia Store, I think this is a good buy for your usage considering apps aren't your priority and camera is. The camera is particularly worth a mention.

Back