PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

^^ why dont you install ftp to transfer your files wirelessly, you can edit files on ftp client itself !!

Heres a easy google search answer to your samba problem : http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/sambaserver.shtml

There are more, try it next time
<

Thanks #[member='6pack']

#[member='varkey'] I am a total noob with respect to Linux. I know nothing absolutely nothing but I am willing to learn, should I go ahead with the purchase? (I have never touched anything other than Windows)

If your answer is Yes than I have certain questions about the things that I wish the Device should perform before taking the plunge. (I shall create a New thread to get your views on my query if the answer is Yes)

Thanks

If you have no experience with linux it will be difficult, but if you are willing to learn and can google and troubleshoot issues there is no problem in getting one.

#[member='ubergeek'] : Its not that difficult to setup samba, you can use that guide on ArchLinuxArm to set it up. If you want to use it from Ubuntu you can go for NFS as well.

After a bit of searching in the archlinux arm forums the samba guide posted there is an outdated one apparently.so are they anyother guides to install samba?

also i tried the cp -r command and you know what it works for me whenever a download gets finished i boot into linux and cp -r the content to my local hard drive
<

Oh ok so form what i understand

1.Samba is a software which runs inside the plug and converts it into a server

2. i can add the server to my windows 7

3.there by i can extract files from it?

did i get this rite?

what are the speeds like?

You are not reading the post correctly.

1. Samba is a service which acts as a interface between Linux and windows and it runs on Linux.

2. Once samba is configured I.e your directory to be shared etc.just type your pogo ip in your explorer and then just map it to a drive for future use

I like samba from Brazil, although it's not a software. But, brazilian Samba is cross platform, white to black chicks, all look awesome while doing Samba.
<

Received mine yesterday, installed transmission, znc and ntpd.

I too got the e02 version.

I am looking for a media server like twonky server, to install on pogoplug to stream my movies. I found miniDLNA , will this work as a media streamer to my wdtv ?

Not yet. It's just a transferring medium. Synched FTP folders do The job for me. I had installed samba on my wdtv, it worked then.

I am looking for a streamer on archlinuxarm

^^ thanks.

Q: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ has lot of *.tar.gz files , are they safe to delete after installation. I think they are using up the ram space.

Ps: as per samba guide we add user pcguest, and once we login via win7 will we b able to see our transmission folder - under user torrent ? ( we will become different users )

Never mind. Got samba running successfully too
<

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]/var/cache/pacman/pkg/ is location for where pacman temporary stores files and keeps a older version when you install a new, safe to delete , btw its taking disk space and not ram space[/font]

I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread.

Once you have installed archlinarm, you can use winscp to edit your .json , .conf files. Its much easier on the winscp gui than on ssh console. The winscp editor retains the format of the .json or .conf files, unlike you try opening those files on windows OS PC.

To login using winscp, point to the pogoip, port 22 and use SCP protocol.

I am very happy with the pogo, pretty responsive and better than wdlive.

To control transmission via internet, install the noip package, it will ask for your noip login details and thats it. You need to register at no-ip.com and assign a host.

Onl thing remaining is, how to start noip automatically at startup, should i add it to daemon list in rc.conf file ?

@distro

Yup if you want to start the applications at start up you do that
<

also can you tell me how to Synch FTP folders,cause i really dont wanna install samba
<

Back