PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

^ You can always manually download the file on your PC using a download manager and then place it on the USB drive.

hi, at the arch linux download page they said, something like it is not advisable to download the file from here for your device unless you instructed.....confused as it may not match with the device and I screwed up even further more.

hi, at the arch linux download page they said, something like it is not advisable to download the file from here for your device unless you instructed.....confused as it may not match with the device and I screwed up even further more.

If you are following the instructions here -- Pogoplug v2 (Pink/Gray) | Arch Linux ARM

Then there is nothing wrong in manually downloading the file mentioned there ie http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz
It will be the same file whether you download it on the Pogoplug or your PC! :p

Update:-

Please Ignore my post if any one already read.....I'm doing it stupidly.....Now finally I'm able to unpack the arch linux

----------------------

Update : - after following (successful I guess) the steps from 1-8 at Arch Linux Guide, I'm able to login via Putty as Username & Password :- root , As describe on the guide page.

but the Pogo change it names to "alarm" in the client list of my router page as well as Putty.

It is now

[root@alarm~]#

The front LED is steady and Yellow......Not green.

What to do ?

Update:-

Please Ignore my post if any one already read.....I'm doing it stupidly.....Now finally I'm able to unpack the arch linux

----------------------

Update : - after following (successful I guess) the steps from 1-8 at Arch Linux Guide, I'm able to login via Putty as Username & Password :- root , As describe on the guide page.

but the Pogo change it names to "alarm" in the client list of my router page as well as Putty.

It is now

[root@alarm~]#

The front LED is steady and Yellow......Not green.

What to do ?
Its ok till the time you can ssh to server, you can turn off the led or change color type proled

- - - Updated - - -

Just got my Pogoplug-E02 and have been trying to download mke2fs and Archlinux from the Pogoplug v2 (Pink/Gray) | Arch Linux ARM page but keep getting gateway timeout errors.

Is it OK to instead download these from one of the Archlinux mirrors (i.e.) Mirrors | Arch Linux ARM since I can't seem to get to the links on the Pogoplug v2 (Pink/Gray) | Arch Linux ARM page?

Yeah that's why mirror exists.

Update from my POGO side,

I need to leave my desk,so power down the whole system PC/Pogo/Router and all......

After booting the pogo with usb drive which contains the Arc distro, Now it don't even show up my Router Client list and the whole thing is same as before

Yellow - Steady Front light.......So [root@alarm-]# is one time thing via Putty.

I just hoped that I successfully load the arch linux......

Now I'm back to Square one.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I claim this POGO E02 sucks....... Imported - Expensive paper weight .

Sorry to say, just cause you are not following instructions properly doesn't mean the device itself is bad. And please phrase your replies a bit more clearly.

It is a known issue and has been documented multiple times in this thread and other threads that on an ext2 partition, after a power failure the device may fail to boot due to file system corruption.

I've got archlinux, webmin, transmission installed on my Pogoplug-E02. Webmin is started and accessible. I then started transmission via webmin and it too started up.

Accessing transmission via http://<PogoPlugIP>:9091 gave me a 403 Forbidden error. I stopped transmission via webmin and edited the ./config/transmission-daemon/settings.json file to add my IP address to the rpc-whitelist. Started transmission, but still got the 403 error.

I then stopped transmission again, edited the settings.json file and set rpc-whitelist-enabled to false, started transmission, still 403 Forbidden error. I guess I am doing something wrong. Any pointers.

Also, is there a way to backup the USB drive on which archlinux is installed, say I want to transfer the entire OS to another pendrive or for backup purposes?

One more question, is it OK to use a HDD that is Windows formatted, FAT32 / NTFS or should the HDD be formatted as ext3?

You are definitely not editing correct file , check ps -ef to see which settings.json is used earlier it was in home then it moved to var/lib

You are definitely not editing correct file , check ps -ef to see which settings.json is used earlier it was in home then it moved to var/lib

That helped. Thanks.

I was editing the wrong file, it should have been the settings.json in /var/lib/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon

Any idea if I can use an NTFS formatted drive as the torrent destination or will that cause problems writing to it in Linux?

Any idea if I can use an NTFS formatted drive as the torrent destination or will that cause problems writing to it in Linux?

You may use an NTFS formatted disk for torrents, but the read/write speeds may be affected and may slow down the torrent hash check which happens after an unclean shutdown.

You may use an NTFS formatted disk for torrents, but the read/write speeds may be affected and may slow down the torrent hash check which happens after an unclean shutdown.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will format the disk as ext3 when I get the opportunity.

I've been following your pyload install instructions, right at the beginning of this thread. I got to the rc.conf part, but my rc.conf file is empty. Wondering why and what next?

One more question, is there a way to backup the USB pendrive (the one to which archlinux was installed and configured) to a file and then use the backup to transfer the install to another USB pendrive?

^ Those instructions are a bit old, not sure it works with the latest version of pyload so you may need to modify it a bit. Regarding rc.conf, I am not really sure, maybe ArchLinux changed the file structure or there is something wrong. I don't use ArchLinux so can't help you with that, as these are specific to it.

This thread has few methods to backup the USB drive -- Back-up USB question

This thread has few methods to backup the USB drive -- Back-up USB question

Thanks for the info'. One of the posts on the linked thread indicated that ext3 is a bad idea for USB flashdrives. Is this correct since the archlinux instructions specifically instruct to create the filesystem with ext3?

Also, if I want to do the install again to another flashdrive, assuming that I am unable to backup the current one using dd or tar per the thread above, would I go about it by (do correct me if this is all rubbish) unplugging the USB flashdrive containing the current install once the OS boots up and I have ssh'd in and then repeating the full install process from the archlinux page onto the new flashdrive? If correct, then I presume I don't have to do the bootloader flash step (i.e.) install_uboot_mtd0.sh

Update from my POGO side,

I need to leave my desk,so power down the whole system PC/Pogo/Router and all......

After booting the pogo with usb drive which contains the Arc distro, Now it don't even show up my Router Client list and the whole thing is same as before

Yellow - Steady Front light.......So [root@alarm-]# is one time thing via Putty.

I just hoped that I successfully load the arch linux......

Now I'm back to Square one.

- - - Updated - - -

how did you power it down? through putty or just switch off the button? if you were running archlinux on it there's a shutdown command you can send via putty to the pogo so it can shutdown safely.
if you do things improperly, the unit wont run properly. just blaming it wont help you. you can always sell the unit off in TE market if you dont want it anymore. I'm sure lots of people would be interested.
Personally imo, after using it for more than a year, i find it rock solid. it does not boot properly once a month but its just a minor inconvenience. this little thing saves me around 200 bucks a month compared to keeping the pc on. saves more than worth the 2k i paid for it in a years time. :)

Thanks for the info'. One of the posts on the linked thread indicated that ext3 is a bad idea for USB flashdrives. Is this correct since the archlinux instructions specifically instruct to create the filesystem with ext3?

Also, if I want to do the install again to another flashdrive, assuming that I am unable to backup the current one using dd or tar per the thread above, would I go about it by (do correct me if this is all rubbish) unplugging the USB flashdrive containing the current install once the OS boots up and I have ssh'd in and then repeating the full install process from the archlinux page onto the new flashdrive? If correct, then I presume I don't have to do the bootloader flash step (i.e.) install_uboot_mtd0.sh

Yes, it might affect the USB drive and may die sooner. But a 4 GB USB flash drive is very cheap and there you get 3-5 years warranty, so you can always get it replaced. If you have a dedicated hard disk, you can have the rootfs as well as the download partition in it which will be faster and more stable (as even with ext3 FS, you may have to do an fsck after an unclean shutdown in case of a USB drive, but with a hard disk its very less frequent)

Yes, you can redo the steps in the instructions. The bootloader step won't be necessary but even if you run the script, it won't be a problem as the script checks the existing setup before installing.

how did you power it down? through putty or just switch off the button? if you were running archlinux on it there's a shutdown command you can send via putty to the pogo so it can shutdown safely.
if you do things improperly, the unit wont run properly. just blaming it wont help you. you can always sell the unit off in TE market if you dont want it anymore. I'm sure lots of people would be interested.
Personally imo, after using it for more than a year, i find it rock solid. it does not boot properly once a month but its just a minor inconvenience. this little thing saves me around 200 bucks a month compared to keeping the pc on. saves more than worth the 2k i paid for it in a years time. :)

Thanks 6pack for this post, I'm deeply sorry what I wrote in my previous post, I'm impatient since the 9th time my connection failed (stalled) to download the arch linux distro, but later varkey's suggestion worked......then I'm again skip some steps unknowingly and stuck for a while...but yesterday I did right and worked....but as you suggested I turn it down off wrongly/unknowingly and again I'm screwed.

I need several things to know (as you all guessed already I'm complete noob)

here are they;

1. I exactly followed the instruction which Arch Linux Guide page (For E02) said to format USB stick which is ext3 (mke2fs part), then how come it is formatted in ext2 as varkey mentioned in post no 627 ?

2. Where I get complete set of command of Arch Linux for beginners such as Start - Shutdown ? Googled already - but the result is not satisfactory. (Complete guide / Link will be helpful)

3. This is very Important :-

If I need to turn down the Pogoplug thing running Arch Linux - Downloading via Transmission - The whole system will corrupt ? Yes ? Right ?

4. After successfully Arch Linux loaded - Logged via putty - What is the Front LED color - Steady Green or Steady Yellow ?

5. After successful - install - running Arch Linux, How to install Transmission ? Step by Step Guide any ? (Complete guide / Link will be helpful)

Is there anyone have the answer of my ques, please share your knowledge.........

@dissel

1. You also need to set the rootfs type as ext3 in the uboot environment settings
3. Make sure the rootfs is ext3 and it should be fine most of the time. It depends on the flash drive you are using too. Or just use a hard disk and it should be much more stable. I haven't done a manual fsck on my setup for months and there have been multiple power cuts during a single day.

Just install the transmission-cli package from the Arch repositories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back