PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

Try to use google instead of waiting for answers you will learn a lot no one is ready to handhold each and every step

Yes......I understand your frustration....You & Varkey helping people since this thread created and many people came here and ask....most of them say they are new and they somehow figure everything out.....I followed this thread from Page 1 to 22 and carefully try to understand what you and varkey suggesting, but most steps/post are suitable for advance people like you.....no offence...with all due respect.......They are not noob friendly.

What is missing from Arch Linux Official website, they just teach how to install archlinux for respective device....nothing else....There are some transmission page available but good people @ Archlinux decided to remove it <----- Saw the link posted here but now it says it is not exists anymore.

Most of the Arch linux forum post linked given in this thread not working, it saying "You have no permission to view this thread, Your IP banned". Neither earlier posted screenshot worked.

Till now I found 6pack post - replying pattern only newbie friendly.

^ transmission & webmin both are not running. starting transmission command is given in my post above. btw, both transmission & webmin should start automatically if pogoplug is rebooted.

I rebooted the Plug several time after installing transmission & webmin,but this is my bad luck it didn't start automatically.

in putty command line , write ->
Code:
systemctl enable webmin
and
Code:
systemctl start webmin
. Then try accessing yourpogoplugip:10000
similarly do that for transmission ->
Code:
systemctl enable transmission
and
Code:
systemctl start transmission
. Then try accessing yourpogoplugip:9091

Hey guys so i plugged in back the pogoplug today after giving it a 2 month break,

So while doing a package update it says Replace dbus-core with core/dbus?
Total download size is 133MB

What does that mean ?

Yes go ahead and replace it

dissel
Firstly no one knows anything at start been through seen through but differentiates one from n00b to handholding is the effort one takes to take up the task if someone tells you to do something you are doing nothing but following instruction and going forward you would have same problem again in coming days if you want to do something else , most people like in Bit torrent world HnR they just want what they want they dont care of anything else once they got there stuff which is disappointing in BT or in other place.BTW there is a difference between archlinuxarm and archlinux , archlinuxarm is a portable version of archlinux which have been ported to low power devices and the reason being install instructions were removed because they are same as archlinux.

I googled these links for you which would help understand things better, in anyways nothing is simpler you always have to try for it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Daemon

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Transmission
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Deluge
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MiniDLNA
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Webmin
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Configuration#Static_IP_address

+1 to what @dinjo said.
@dissel

If you have a specific question, post here. Someone will give you a hint or pointer on how to solve it, but do not expect to be spoon fed with step by step instructions. You need to take that extra effort, search and find out how to resolve the problem. I am sure if you search for 5-10 minutes you'd have got the answers to all your questions, if not come back here and post what you have done exactly till now, which websites you referred, the error or problem that you are facing, why do you think its not working etc. Provide the data and you will get a faster a better response.

If you come here and ask generic questions which can be resolved very easily using Google, personally I don't even feel like responding to it.

Go through the Seagate Dockstar thread, three years back I was in the same situation as you and at that time I don't think we had any proper documentation, but now its much much better. So search, go through different forums and all your queries should be answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i think the amount of work done here by @dinjo @varkey and @6pack is just amazing
What more we can ask, i mean i got all answers to my newb questions through them only ;)

I got error while upgrading system package files :unsure:
What is causing the update to fail,happens lot of times

[root@alarm ~]# pacman -Syy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : Connection time-out
error: failed to update core (download library error)
extra 473.7 KiB 111K/s 00:04 [######################] 100%
community 490.4 KiB 66.2K/s 00:07 [######################] 100%
alarm 5.1 KiB 8.61K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
aur 15.4 KiB 21.3K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%

^ Looks like there is some issue in connectivity to the ArchLinux file servers. Since its not that widespread, it might be something to do with your net connection. Did you always have this problem or it started only recently?

From the ArchLinux Mirror page -- Mirrors | Arch Linux ARM

The default and recommended mirror set in all of our installations points to mirror.archlinuxarm.org which provides a round-robin of mirrors closest to you using GeoIP geolocation.

If you are using OpenDNS or a non Indian DNS server, it may cause issues with a CDN (Check these articles, 1 & 2)
So you can try manually changing the mirror to one that is closest to you from the above page and see if it fixes the problem.

Nalin

Easiest option would be to add the necessary entries to /etc/sysctl.d/ipv6.conf as mentioned in the Wiki page and then restart the device.

# Disable IPv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 1

Nalin Easiest option would be to add the necessary entries to /etc/sysctl.d/ipv6.conf as mentioned in the Wiki page and then restart the device.

I disabled Ipv6 and again it showed the same conflict
But what did the trick for me is :)

Code:
[root@alarm ~]# echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' > /etc/resolv.conf

Again i didn't get the idea what it does but before i do Pacman update i run this command

Code:
[root@alarm ~]# pacman -Sy:: Synchronizing package databases... core is up to date extra is up to date community is up to date alarm is up to date aur is up to date

@Nalin : That command set the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 ie Google Public DNS. DNS servers are defined in the /etc/resolv.conf file. So it was after all a DNS issue as I suspected.

Which DNS servers have you configured on your router?

@varkey

Currently no DNS servers are configured but there is one thing i always set Google DNS through windows only ie. Control Panel
What are the advantages of configuring DNS in router :ashamed:

varkey

Currently no DNS servers are configured but there is one thing i always set Google DNS through windows only ie. Control Panel
What are the advantages of configuring DNS in router :ashamed:

I just wanted to know the DNS servers set in the router, by default it will be your ISP's DNS server which will be automatically assigned to the Pogoplug by DHCP.

If you are not using a static IP on the Pogoplug, the next time your device reboots, the DNS settings (ie /etc/resolv.conf) will be overwritten with the DNS servers defined on your router by DHCP.

varkey dinjo

Yeah i mean to say DNS is assigned automatically by ISP and i am not using a Static IP.
Pogoplug shows in my router DHCP Clients as alarm under the IP ~ 192.168.X.135(Does not change)

So i need to assign a Static IP with Google DNS set in router as well as windows :23:

Not necessary, you can set the Google DNS servers on your router and do an DHCP IP reservation based on the Pogoplug's MAC.

In this case the DHCP server will always assign the Google DNS servers and the same IP to the Pogoplug.

Back