PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

Ethan_Hunt said:
Wait, Am I supposed to laugh? *tickles ribs*

Why so serious ?

I guess frowning & tickling ribs wont be apt now would it ?

On another note , i might be confusing you with Jason Bourne (im acquainted to one of you ) so if it seems inappropriate i apologize (you cant be too careful with all these secret agent names)

Without the use of a smiley, it's not easy to say if your statement was meant to be a joke, sarcasm or a bit of both. Same goes for my response as well. See how much difference a simple ":)" can make.

Sony Gets Federal Court To Temporarily Block Sale of PS3 Mod Chips

Message from Ozmodchips:

Hello Everyone. On Friday the 27/08/2010 we where given some documents from the Lawyers representing Sony. The documents are Federal Court orders for a temporary injunction.

The Injunction states that from 24 hours of receiving the documents to the 31st of August OzModChips, Quantronics, Modsupplier and anyone else in Australia:

* Give up all stock in our possession, including our sample

I guess it was lucky that the device was delayed by a couple of days. While many people that have received their sample and sent it off to cloners....we sent ours to a well known homebrew developer. The developer we picked showed us various homebrew applications that he had already developed for ps3 dev units, that he wants to port over to retail units. Yes, PS3 homebrew is real and will start flowing through at a steady rate as soon as next week.

* Give up any stock we get between now and the 31st

We are not getting any between these times

* Ozmodchips also cannot:
o Import
o distribute
o Offer
o provide
o or deal with PS Jailbreak devices

These are from the Federal Court of Australia.
All 3 Australian stores we appear in court in some form on the 31st of August. On the 31st the court will decide if there will be a continuation of the "ban" or if we are allowed to sell them.
Our views are the same as Quantronics who posted this info here. This is not OzModChips Vs Sony. This is not OzModChips, Quantronics, Modsupplier Vs Sony. We would go as far as saying that is not even everyone in Australia Vs Sony. This will effect everyone that plans to buy such a device world wide. It already sets a dangerous precedent. Everyone that was using OtherOS, everyone that has had a faulty PS3 laser....and those interested in PS3 custom firmware and homebrew applications. We cannot do it alone, we need the support of everyone the homebrew community, the media, engineers that understand the inner workings and anyone else that can provide support.

Regarding orders:
If the injunction becomes permanent we will refund everyone that has ordered from us. If it doesn't then we will send all orders as originally planned. There will be no delay to the planned shipping date. We would ask everyone to wait until then. We have the money sitting in our account which will cover 100% refunds for everyone if that needs to happen. We kindly ask everyone to just hold off until the 31st, as we need all the time we can to prepare.

Thank you for your support!
-OzModChips Team

The chinese folks have already cloned it :bleh: so even if the psjailbreak stops to be sold .. the x3jailbreak will still be in the market ... and later by few more nicks :p ..

Micro,PIC,32K Fl,TQFP44,PIC18F4550-I/PT

Data Bus Width 8Bit

Device Core PIC

Family Name PIC18

Instruction Set Architecture RISC

Interface Type SPI/I2C/EAUSART

Maximum Clock Rate 48MHz

Maximum Operating Temperature 85°C

Maximum Speed 48MHz

Minimum Operating Temperature -40°C

Mounting Surface Mount

Number of Programmable I/Os 35

Number of Timers 4

On-Chip ADC 13-chx10-bit

Pin Count 44

Product Height 1

Product Length 10

Product Width 10

Program Memory Size 32

Program Memory Type Flash

RAM Size 2KB

Supplier Package TQFP

Typical Operating Supply Voltage 5V

And heres a Pin layout for chip on the actual psjailbreak hardware i threw together for you :

http://imgur.com/GJwFO.jpg

Full datasheet : http://docs-asia.origin.electrocompo...6b80806cfb.pdf

All that's left are a couple SMT's, a crystal oscillator, some surface mount LED's and for someone to take a psjailbreak, stick it in any 18F compatible pic writer and dump the hex contents of the chip and slap it on a bunch of new chips, the single layer PCB is really, really basic.

And the bad part?, as far as the original makers are concerned, the device is so simple that it will be no different, in any way, to the original, when cloned.

Think of this, not as a PS2 modchip, but more like the original PIC based ps1 modchip - The only thing that differentiated the various models was the code on them, not the hardware itself - the hardware will be the same, as will the contents of the chip.

Oh, and for the record, the parts (not in bulk, but for a single unit, from connectors to chip and so on), is £5.68 ( $8.82 ), if you were making these things in bulk, that price drops to £2.14 ( $ 3.32 ) per unit.

People buying the thing at $170AUS either have more money than sense, or no sense at all.

A comment i read here MaxConsole - PSJailbreak cloned already? Creators plea to buy the original for 'support' and 'warranty'

It wasn't long before creators of trojan horses started packaging their malware in files referencing the name "PS Jailbreak" and an imitation website claiming to "sell" PS Jailbreak popped up. But that was just to beginning of the PSJ's woes. The hacking community has been able to crack the code that the site's USB thumb drives contain, and are attempting to recreate it for further exploitation of the PS3's operating system.

What PS Jailbreak does is convert a PS3 system into a Dev unit, allowing discs to be backed up onto an internal or external hard drive. It claims to be plug-and-play, meaning that the console reverts back to normal once the device is removed, but there's no mention of being able to play online. And the fact that it relies on the PS3's usb port means that Sony could easily patch the system to make this product/code useless. It's unfortunate that so many people are spending their lives trying to get games for free, and one commentor on PS3Jailbreak gives some insight into the mindset of one of these individuals:

"Why in the hell would we support the developers of the games when we could just as easily support the developers of nice things such as this little toy and save money.

Out of every 1 pirate there is probably 5 legit people that buy the damn games so dont tell me that we kill the damn industry because we aren’t willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that cost all of 50 cents to f*cking make".

" -Matthew-

Maybe I'm being too harsh by stating that everyone deserves to be paid for their work, but this is what Sony is up against. And hopefully they do everything in their power to stop PS3 piracy in its tracks. PS Jailbreak is already disappearing due to legal legal injunctions filed by Sony, but their code stands to do a lot of damage.

Source: PS Jailbreak Bringing Out the Worst in Hackers

Few good comments from there -

tarbis said:
The PSJail break should be cloned so their sales will flop, this way they will feel what Sony is feeling. Pirate the pirates, hack the hackers. Let them kill themselves. That way they will come to their senses.
:rofl:

kale said:
So let me get this straight. Crime is okay as long as your the one sealing and getting paid for it?

Then relatively speaking in the event someone broke into these peoples homes and stole all their belongings it would be okay because the thief was getting paid for it
:rofl:

That's what is happening right now...the hackers are getting hacked and are pissed off right now :rofl:

Back