Samsung Galaxy Note - Discussion Thread

^Dude ... its 1 inch larger .. that is only the screen .. so even count the bezel and all . No matter what people say its bloody large for a phone. I'm just saying its large not saying its stupid to use such a large phone . As for people who can fit it in their palm and use it only with 1 hand hats off to you guys . S2 was big I agree but then galaxy nexus came out with 4.65inch which is still the same size as that of s2 ( I mean the whole phone ) so thats still ok . But NOTE is well .. its gone too far .

Used the device yesterday. Its too damn big, Will look so odd holding next to my head..

Dwarfs my s2..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

You get used to it.

Size is hardly an issue after couple of days of use. you actually start to feel that all other phones are too small after a while.

Everyone and their dad knows what phone this is. The way Samsung has been campaigning this phone in India, it's hardly a unknown phone now. My moms friend asked if this is the new note phone that we see in TV adverts. You don't really get weird looks from public when you are using this.

Anyone who uses mobile emailing or whatsapp to share files, twitter to share quick pics and information will know the real value of s-pen.

Lot of people carry fat wallet in their ass pocket without problem (which I find extremely weird and uncomfortable), so carrying slim but slightly bigger phone is not really a problem for many. Specially guys considering this fits almost any gents trouser and Jeans pocket.

As far as twui is concerned, just use launcher pro or adw if you don't like twui. And even with touch wiz, device is not laggy at all. Don't go by display units in big mall stores, go to Samsung store and check it out there. Lots of people (mostly the idiotic employees of croma or other super stores) do all kinds of crappy things with these demo phones.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note using Tapatalk Pro.

Shripad said:
You get used to it.

Size is hardly an issue after couple of days of use. you actually start to feel that all other phones are too small after a while.
This x100 !!

And I managed to get used to it after coming from an iPhone 3GS. I still wouldn't recommend it for people with girly hands though.

For me, iPhones feel like cheap plastic toys after getting this phone.

I almost dropped my Atrix twice coz it felt weird in my hand after using this :p And the biggest plus for me are the colors - first time amoled user and boy is it gorgeous! :)

Sent from The Note using T'talk Pro

Hit on SamMobile and was surprised to see an update for the Note listed there - 2.3.6 w/ PDA as XXKL3 and the country being specifically mentioned as India. These listings are generally the official ones - searched for update through the phone and got nothing though :S

[attachment=10626:17597.attach]

Attachments

• Note.JPG
    Note.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 143
The Note is flying with 2.3.6 update and custom kernel.

Here is what I got using Rocket V8 and Abyss kernel at stock clock speed. Its shockingly fast.

dfbf5130-af1f-d90d.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Going to buy galaxy note today, any suggestions advices before I take the final plunge,

Hoping for a significant upgrade from i9003

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Shripad said:
The Note is flying with 2.3.6 update and custom kernel.

Here is what I got using Rocket V8 and Abyss kernel at stock clock speed. Its shockingly fast.

dfbf5130-af1f-d90d.jpg

Which kernel shri ? and where did you get the 2.3.6 update ? Any links ? at XDA there are like 100 options. I still haven't updated to any custom kernel.

@sushant

the update is available vie kies

or you can download the package from the link i posted above and flash via odin

@shripad

sir which kernal are you on. im also going to take the plunge and get the note in the next 10 days or so and i want to flash a custom rom/kernal but i am scared of loosing warranty as their is no way of resetting the custom binary counter as of now (to the best of my knowledge)

He has mentioned Abyss as the kernel :p

And i don't think any of the recent roms change the binary counter iirc

Time to flash :p

Shripad, battery life? Been hitting it hard on usage yesterday and today and it ain't faring well on the stock rom :p

phoenix844884 said:
The feedback is good, but what's the best price for this piece of beauty?

Sulekha is less than 30k and if you can find it on ebay for 30.9k, add the winter gift and sell what you get to bring actual cost to less than 29k. Have heard people finding it for 29.3k in Bangalore

Freaky said:
He has mentioned Abyss as the kernel :p

And i don't think any of the recent roms change the binary counter iirc

Time to flash :p

Shripad, battery life? Been hitting it hard on usage yesterday and today and it ain't faring well on the stock rom :p
Sulekha is less than 30k and if you can find it on ebay for 30.9k, add the winter gift and sell what you get to bring actual cost to less than 29k. Have heard people finding it for 29.3k in Bangalore

how do you flash a custom kernel then ??

i remember reading that the rom will increase custom kernal count, will try looking for the article

ps-any idea where i can get it in mumbai for less than 32k ??

Main reason for Abyss kernel is battery life.

KKA and KL3 itself fixed the Android os battery drain issue to large extent, but Abyss kernel is worth flashing over any ROM.

Loosing much less juice idling than before.

Also this kernel has lots of other performance tweaks including some driver tweaks. Some serious improvement in quadrant and other benchmarks.

Damn! Have a look at this.

dfb78e57-f66b-b23c.jpg

And if you are wondering why I an surprised, head to Anandtech. This score is better than 4s and Galaxy nexus which runs ICS.

And here is sunspider, again best score out there compared to other devices.

dfb78e57-fa6e-e81e.jpg

Back