So whose Bombay is it anyway?

sorry Bombay/Mumbai folks, my image of your city as a cosmopolitan place just went down the drain....[/QUOTE]

it is and always will remain a cosmopolitan city ..pls dont think otherwise because of acts of just bunch of idiots ..those party workers are paid to do so .. most general/common people in mumbai including marathis dont agree with what is going on right now ..:no:

superczar said:
Agreed, and that points towards a problem with this otherwise great nation....

and when even the educated, supposedly elite folks support it, the problem degenerates into a tragic state of affairs....

sorry Bombay/Mumbai folks, my image of your city as a cosmopolitan place just went down the drain....

So according to you because Mumbai is cosmopolitan it should have a different laws and syllabus in schools?? What kind of logic is that. Afterall even in your profile you call your city Chennai and not Madras. Its same to us. Tamil is part of TN state board syllabus.

Same way State board has marathi in its syllabus. Its not like ICSE and CBSC students are forced to learn Marathi. Its only for our board.

Noone is supporting what Raj did. :p

And what you saw in news is over exaggeration of what actually happened on roads. They made it look like its a huge problem here creating riot like conditions when that was not the case. City was running smoothly and everything went back to how it was. Noone cares about stupid incidents like this here. People have too many other issues to worry about.

Funky your points about children learning more languages is documented....while they are children :)

..ie after the 6th std, at least have them choose.

Might i ask what % of our lives is spent writing vs talking, and which do you think matters most. For example an illiterate person can get by just by talking, many in fact do. I ocassionaly talk to ppl that i text chat with, who come across very well in writing but are anything but while talking.

...the point about forcing languages for an extended period down ppl's throats isnt really helping matters much. Its sure sign that the language itself is under threat, why else would it need propping up.

Ofcourse its under threat. Marathi is under real thread of being just a spoken language and thats why these steps were taken. I spend lot of time talking due to my profession. I have to interact with 100s of students from all lingual background every day.

But I do see groupings even there. Most Gujjus talk with other gujju in Gujrathi. Same with marathi speaking. Hindi is common language to all here in Mumbai.

Marathi is my practical mother tongue and I would hate to see it remain as just spoken language.

And why you people are reaching to conclusion that child in Maharashtra state board hates learning Marathi? Go and ask in schools and you will find that not many people actually have any problem with this. Its easy to learn language as its very similar to widely spoken hindi. Its written form is same as hindi.

Hell I took 100 marks Sanskrit in addition to Marathi in 10th standard because it was easy to score in languages. With the kind of syllabus we have here, you dont need to remember chapters here. All questions are based on paragraph given in the paper. All you need to know is basic grammar.

For undergrads we now have entrance exams. Marathi was a easy way to reduce my studies in 12th standard as we were already familiar with this language. 12th std paper is not that different from 10th std marathi paper.

Plenty of non native students here take marathi for this exact same reason as they dont need to study anything for this paper and they can concentrate on other subjects. Actually i never opened my 12th std text book of marathi. Not even before the exam. All i studied was same grammar notes that I had for 10th std, went for exam and scored 82 :p

I dont know what kind of impression of marathi you people have there :S

Its not as difficult language as most south indian languages.

Many people from south take this paper over hindi for 12th std as its easier.

Lol guys, what was the topic again??

Abt politicians changing city names, i dont agree with it but i accept it.

Anyway the solution to main problem is that UP and bihar politicians should stop filling their own pockets and do something for their respective states like creating jobs etc. Only then will this problem stop.

Can we all come back to the topic.

Maharashtrian or bihari doesnt matter, we have every right to go to any part of the country.

aaaanyways!!!!!! Coming back to the topic from the English language sessions.
MNS do feel that maharastrians are "supressed", hence the violence. They are doing this for ages-first for south Indians when my dad migrated here, then muslims, then sindhis, gujjus, christians and now the people from U.P. and Bihar. I

The last few posts regarding learning marathi or not kinda represents the problem we have in mumbai... Everyone wants to come to mumbai but how would you connect with the local people or follow the local customs without knowing the native language! If you dont want to learn marathi... Dont! But what does a marathi family do when they enroll their kids in english medium schools.. Not learn marathi? So if you want to learn marathi you only go to a marathi medium school? Every state has the right to preserve its culture for the benefit of the natives.. Non natives cant just come along and say we dont want marathi in schools... Its easy to say mumbai is/should be cosmopolitan city but marathi is the official language of the state and please do respect that...

aaaanyways!!!!!! Coming back to the topic from the English language sessions.

MNS do feel that maharastrians are "supressed", hence the violence, though its not fully justified. Shiv saniks used to do this for ages-first for south Indians when my dad migrated here, then muslims, then sindhis, gujjus, christians and now the people from U.P. and Bihar. I DO UNDERSTAND that if they must bring the regional tradition back, but have they done in the past to preserve it in the first place? NO!!!!

However, I wouldn't be one of those people who say that their remarks are wrong, it is right to the core-every state and their people have the right to protect, uphold and expand their own tradition. Lets take Amitabh's political ads in the not so old days. If he claims EVERYTHING he said in the ads as true, then how come U.P. and Bihar are still considered as lawless states where countless crimes happens once the sun sets and why isnt he living there rather then buying countless lands over there to prevent further tax issues??? Why cant they be in their state and make it financially powerful or something else??

TamilNadu is doing it, Kerala did it especially with education, Gujarat is doing well despite of criticism, Punjab is also doing what they want to do, so what is so special that most of the population have to end up here and bottleneck the allready bottlenecked city. Why isnt the U.P. and Bihar government not making any efforts to bring law and order first in their own damn state rather then hiring patethic animals to commit inhuman crimes in secret? Why people arent stepping up and run the state as it should? In other words, just like how all states are doing, why arent U.P. and Bihar population not doing anything AT ALL to bring their state up. Mumbai wasnt a financial hit in the old days. Even if a fiat goes through linking road once in an hour during the 60s, houses near the sea side cost less then the ones which were not, not much progress, not much money, not much fame, but still we did after some decades, then why not them???? They are not in any border conflict with the other region, nor i think they are infected with some deadly virus, then what is the reason that U.P. and Bihar is still as lawless as the Taliban-owned Afghanistan in the old days

Oh yeah, dont bother flaming me! What I mentioned IS harsh, but its a cold truth and many do agree! MNS shouldnt do violence, but they are right!

Funky said:
agreed. I studied in Marathi medium school. Our textbooks always had the city named as Mumbai and not Bombay. This was even before it was renamed to Mumbai. When speaking to other marathi people, relatives most of the times we used to call it Mumbai only so renaming the city to Mumbai was not an issue for me. I actually liked the idea that the name was restored.

This is where the native ideas come in, we never felt it was wrong to rename it to Mumbai from Bombay as we knew that name from our childhood since birth. But we never had problem with the english name Bombay.

But just to inform you people that it was always named Mumbai in marathi language books, maps, govt documents. its just that it was spelled as Bombay in english. Changing it to mumbai was just changing official english language name.

Even our country is called by different names in English and Hindi. So leave this name debate alone. Mumbai is the local name so I dont see anything wrong in calling it by that name the same way I dont feel calling Chennai as Chennai and Kolkata as Kolkata.

I am sure people living in these areas grew up knowing this name from childhood from their parents.

*Lol..this thread has swerved off its path from the main topic to the renaming of the city to correcting grammatical errors..:p *

But, funky, i beg to differ on this point of yours. Well, like u say tht your marathi text books always referred the city as Mumbai and not Bombay. But i guess, when u were in school Mumbai was still officially known as Bombay, right?? So, then even your regional text books shud have been banned then bcos it was not referring to the city by its official name? When no one raised an eye brow then, why do the politicians and many maharashtrians have a problem when some ppl refer to Mumbai as Bombay now?? Its not a cardinal sin to call the city by its old name when many ppl relate with the old name more than the new one. ;) Ppl shud have the freedom of calling the city by any of the names the city has always had. So if some north indian refers to Mumbai as Bambai, why is it considered as a punishable offense when Mumbai was always known as Bambai or Bombay by ppl coming from other states? Or why shud the urbanites, who wud still prefer to call the city as Bombay, be restricted from doing so? Its known to everyone how the shiv sena (and now the MNS) used forceful ways to deter ppl from calling Mumbai as Bombay or Bambai. We've already seen examples of their harassing ways in news channels ..Who are they to force it down anybody's throat?? Talk about double standards.

When even our country can have 3 official names (India, Bharat and Hindustan) and everyone has the freedom to call it by any name they are comfortable with, why cant the same rule be applied to a city?

Why shud it be forced upon ppl to refer to a city by a name which they may not be comfortable with?? :S

raul said:
History is wonderful, take one instance Constantinople - Istanbul. Now tell me if the new names communicate even half the magic or mystery of the old name.

Thatz wat im trying to tell you and even you agree with me.

Bombay does not communicate even half the magic or mystery and history of the old name. The koli people (koli's are different from maharashtrian) named the city after hindu goddess mumbadevi. The portuguese changed the named then the british. If u love the british so much y dont u move to england.

Although bombay sounds cool, ive to agree.

As i said earlier that i not a big fan of changing city names but i still accept it unlike you.

Peace.

what's wrong with you sorcerer?

two quotes from the same post...

first for south Indians when my dad migrated here

so what is so special that most of the population have to end up here and bottleneck the allready bottlenecked city.

so it was alright when your family migrated..but it somehow becomes wrong when others do? :rofl:

Private Ryan said:
When even our country can have 3 official names (India, Bharat and Hindustan)

.now that you bring it up, technically speaking our country should be called Hindustan.

that was the orginal name after all, it IS the land of the hindus, even the Arabs still refer to it as that and they 've been around before there was even an England

Would match with Pakistan & Afghanistan & Bangla-e-stan etc.

:rofl:

Private Ryan said:
*Lol..this thread has swerved off its path from the main topic to the renaming of the city to correcting grammatical errors..:p *

But, funky, i beg to differ on this point of yours. Well, like u say tht your marathi text books always referred the city as Mumbai and not Bombay. But i guess, when u were in school Mumbai was still officially known as Bombay, right?? So, then even your regional text books shud have been banned then bcos it was not referring to the city by its official name? When no one raised an eye brow then, why do the politicians and many maharashtrians have a problem when some ppl refer to Mumbai as Bombay now?? Its not a cardinal sin to call the city by its old name when many ppl relate with the old name more than the new one. ;) Ppl shud have the freedom of calling the city by any of the names the city has always had. So if some north indian refers to Mumbai as Bambai, why is it considered as a punishable offense when Mumbai was always known as Bambai or Bombay by ppl coming from other states? Or why shud the urbanites, who wud still prefer to call the city as Bombay, be restricted from doing so? Its known to everyone how the shiv sena (and now the MNS) used forceful ways to deter ppl from calling Mumbai as Bombay or Bambai. We've already seen examples of their harassing ways in news channels.. Talk about double standards.

When even our country can have 3 official names (India, Bharat and Hindustan) and everyone has the freedom to call it by any name they are comfortable with, why cant the same rule be applied to a city?

Why shud it be forced upon ppl to refer to a city by a name which they may not be comfortable with?? :S

Nope.

It was spelled as bombay in english back then thats it.

All govt documents books forms printed in marathi contained Mumbai as the name of the city.

A form to be filled in marathi were filled in with city name as Mumbai only. Even official documents.

My original domicile certificate way back from 80s still has Taluka bane written as Mumbai and not Bombay.

It was accepted practice that its called Bombay in english. But Mumbai was never a illegal name.

Its not cardinal sin but its now not legal to fill the official documents with city name written as Bombay. And now its NOT CORRECT to call the city Bombay.

I always think of any language as a means to communication. Hence, having more languages simply becomes a barrier in communicating :p The problem arises when you add all this culture and tradition to the mix.

Anyway, quite an interesting thread to read after a long time :D I'll just summarize with some quotable quotes from here -

Perhaps the original mistake was in having states based on linguistic lines.

How can I be an outsider in my own country?

Whether one celebrates UP day/MP day/AP day/national lampoon day/rudyard kipling day or groundhog day is one's prerogative

I hate regionalism, and I hate it with a vengeance.

Whose Bombay is it anyway? Nobody's, nobody can own it. The root of all wars is man laying claim to land which he thinks is his. When in reality, it is available to one and all.

With all due respect, the British Raj only helped unite this country - which was segmented and fragmented into dozens of regional islands, if not more.

sorry Bombay/Mumbai folks, my image of your city as a cosmopolitan place just went down the drain....

And saving the best for the last, something everyone would do well to keep in mind while on a public forum -

I just have nothing to do right now and I felt the need to feel important by ranting

so when the Bombay brigade never complained against the usage of Mumbai, why does the mumbai sena gang up against people who still want to call it bombay?

classic case of double standards....eh?

hehehe..zhops, as usual, your post takes the cake :rofl:

How can you refuse to call mumbai anything other than mumbai? Would you change your name just cause someone couldnt say it right? For marathi people its always been mumbai... The sena-bjp govt just did what should have been done long back...

Who is complaining. I am asking why should anyone now have a problem when city is named Mumbai. Its done, live with it. I am glad it happened.

And when its official you are legally required to use this name in every official work thats it. Call it bombay or mumbai in your mind, noone cares.

But dont be irked when someone tell you its called Mumbai and not Bombay because thats its official, legal and actual name unlike before when Bombay was official English language name.

Back