The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

vpraveenis said:
...or more simply, use the remote in the headset to stop music playback.
Now that gets me thinking.. what happens if the music player is not running in the background and I press the play button in the remote?? Music starts playing?? That will be a cool replacement to the dedicated music keys....

nope that doesnt happen , u need the music player running in the background for the music keys on the handsfree to work.

hanzy said:
nope that doesnt happen , u need the music player running in the background for the music keys on the handsfree to work.

And isnt the music player running in the background always?? I remember in my friends N81, the music player was always running... he said it could not be turned off and it always showed in the "Running apps".

vpraveenis said:
And isnt the music player running in the background always?? I remember in my friends N81, the music player was always running... he said it could not be turned off and it always showed in the "Running apps".

nope it isnt......N81 is N81 this is the big king :bleh:
how much effort does it take to start the music player once and leave it running in the background and not to exit it :) ....

hanzy said:
nope it isnt......N81 is N81 this is the big king :bleh:
how much effort does it take to start the music player once and leave it running in the background and not to exit it :) ....

Since both were symbian, i thought they might be doing the same.

Effort does not matter. I prefer to open it by 'Touch' everytime :)
Touchscreen is good.... and my 'Touch will play music'!!! :clap: :clap:

vpraveenis said:
Since both were symbian, i thought they might be doing the same.

Effort does not matter. I prefer to open it by 'Touch' everytime :)
Touchscreen is good.... and my 'Touch will play music'!!! :clap: :clap:

they might fix it in the next firmwares to come...lets see.....

PhOeNiX said:
Or maybe in the Nokia XM 5810 :p They may add the Music buttons in that :)

im sure the next XM upgrade is hiding somewhere ...let me guess it would feature a full sliding keypad and a 5mp camera with xenon flash on that :)

hanzy said:
im sure the next XM upgrade is hiding somewhere ...let me guess it would feature a full sliding keypad and a 5mp camera with xenon flash on that :)

Aahhh , no full QWERTY please , the novelty of this phone is that its a full touchscreen without any physical mechanism like keys, sliding or flaps.....

hanzy said:

that would be the N97... ;)

Had a chance to use the 5800 for some time yesterday and must say that its a great phone. For people who are comfortable with nokia phones, this is very easy to use. The downside to this is that for a user of Nokia phones there is nothing very different to learn or explore on this phone. Its well built and the screen is just brilliant. Will wait for the official version before putting my money down, as it is supposed to come with a lot of free music and movies. The phone is not too big or too small and fits nicely in your hand. Was comforatbale with it on the first go and found it easy to send messages even with the touch screen. Great phone.

mav2000 said:
Had a chance to use the 5800 for some time yesterday and must say that its a great phone. For people who are comfortable with nokia phones, this is very easy to use. The downside to this is that for a user of Nokia phones there is nothing very different to learn or explore on this phone. Its well built and the screen is just brilliant. Will wait for the official version before putting my money down, as it is supposed to come with a lot of free music and movies. The phone is not too big or too small and fits nicely in your hand. Was comforatbale with it on the first go and found it easy to send messages even with the touch screen. Great phone.

:lol: +1 , there is nothing left in the phone to explore....yesterday i sat wondering what do I check up and ultimately I had nothing to do....
Caution : Boredom alert.........:ashamed:

Had a demo of the 5800 yesterday at a NPD store in Kukatpally, Hyd. The set looks perfectly sized and the high res 640x360 screen is brilliant. The viewing angles are also good. I wish the screen is a little larger, but then the whole unit would have become bulkier and un-pocketable like the iPhone.

I was quoted 21.8k along with the headset, Again the dealer could not say anything about the model of the headset except that its a Sennheiser worth 4k which I guess would probably translate to a $25~30 low end sennheiser.

I was going to gift one of these to my sis as a Christmas present to replace her 7 year old Samsung mobile, but my 4 year old SE P910 is also in a bad state and on the verge of conking of completely and I could not afford to wait any longer for a better Phone, So I went ahead Pre-ordered two Nokia 5800's.

I decided to use the remaining 20k of the 40k I set aside for my own phone towards a good PMP.

On a side note, An uncle of mine was saying that a gadget crazy colleague of his has "upgraded" from a iPhone to a Nokia 5800 (Imported from Dubai) :p . He is still keeping the iPhone as a backup at home, but primarily using the Nokia 5800. Apparently he felt the 5800 is better pocketable, easier and functional for everyday use. My Uncle who hasn't used either phone before tried both and felt that the Nokia 5800 has much less learning curve and also the form factor of the 5800 is better to look (probably due to the 16:9 aspect ratio) and easy to use for single hand operation.

Do note that this is just the view/opinion of two of your everyday gadget buyers and not an expert reviewers view/opinion.

Lord Nemesis said:
Had a demo of the 5800 yesterday at a NPD store in Kukatpally, Hyd. The set looks perfectly sized and the high res 640x360 screen is brilliant. The viewing angles are also good. I wish the screen is a little larger, but then the whole unit would have become bulkier and un-pocketable like the iPhone.

I was quoted 21.8k along with the headset, Again the dealer could not say anything about the model of the headset except that its a Sennheiser worth 4k which I guess would probably translate to a $25~30 low end sennheiser.

I was going to gift one of these to my sis as a Christmas present to replace her 7 year old Samsung mobile, but my 4 year old SE P910 is also in a bad state and on the verge of conking of completely and I could not afford to wait any longer for a better Phone, So I went ahead Pre-ordered two Nokia 5800's.

The decided to use the remaining 20k of the 40k I set aside for my own phone towards a good PMP.

On a side note, An uncle of mine was saying that a gadget crazy colleague of his has "upgraded" from a iPhone to a Nokia 5800 (Imported from Dubai) :p . He is still keeping the iPhone as a backup at home, but primarily using the Nokia 5800. Apparently he felt the 5800 is better pocketable, easier and functional for everyday use. My Uncle who hasn't used either phone before tried both and felt that the Nokia 5800 has much less learning curve and also the form factor of the 5800 is better to look (probably due to the 16:9 aspect ratio) and easy to use for single hand operation.

Do note that this is just the view/opinion of two of your everyday gadget buyers and not an expert reviewers view/opinion.

awsome decision there....:hap2: and yes its very much easily pocketable....:D read my mini review if u havent been thru it already...

hanzy said:
:lol: +1 , there is nothing left in the phone to explore....yesterday i sat wondering what do I check up and ultimately I had nothing to do....
Caution : Boredom alert.........:ashamed:

Wait till apps for s60 touch hit the market.... :D :D :D

Went and pre-ordered the phone today by paying 2k in advance. Phone would be available by Jan 5th(the dealer was not 100% sure about the exact date). Final cost of the phone is 21834/-.

Played around with the phone and it is a good one for sure. Only worry(so far) is the accelerometer which is somewhat bothersome. It switches the view between portrait and landscape mode too easily. It was rather annoying even though I used the phone for only 10 mins or so. Wonder what's Hanzy's take on this? Do you also have this problem? Would/could it be rectified with a software update?

The music quality is quite good. I had carried creative ep630 with me and the music output is almost on par with the music quality of ipod video 30G. Quite impressed with that, but not so much with the external speakers. The volume is only on par with Nokia N73 and not what I had really expected.

The earphones that will be given as free during phone delivery is Sennheiser LX90. The dealer confirmed it and showed me the picture of the headset. Also there are 2 free tickets for an Indian Ocean's(?) concert here in Bangalore.

All in all, its a good phone. Display screen could have been broader but then the phone would become more bulkier.
Waiting eagerly for the weekend. :)

[quote name='junk_qwe']Went and pre-ordered the phone today by paying 2k in advance. Phone would be available by Jan 5th(the dealer was not 100% sure about the exact date). Final cost of the phone is 21834/-.

The earphones that will be given as free during phone delivery is Sennheiser LX90. The dealer confirmed it and showed me the picture of the headset. Also there are 2 free tickets for an Indian Ocean's(?) concert here in Bangalore.
are the Sennheiser LX90 the bundled ones or the one's the pre booked phones are available with by paying rs650 extra.i checked on amazon and the Sennheiser LX90 are available for about 13$ shipped in us, so it does not seem to be a very good deal to pay rs650 for them.

No. Its not the bundled one. There is a separate Nokia earphone that comes with the phone. This one is the free set that you get if you do the pre-booking.

Not sure about the Rs 650 extra thing as the price here(bangalore) is 21834 which includes the Senn earphone set for free and also the free pass for the concert.

junk_qwe said:
Went and pre-ordered the phone today by paying 2k in advance. Phone would be available by Jan 5th(the dealer was not 100% sure about the exact date). Final cost of the phone is 21834/-.

are the Sennheiser LX90 the bundled ones or the one's the pre booked phones are available with by paying rs650 extra.i checked on amazon and the Sennheiser LX90 are available for about 13$ shipped in us, so it does not seem to be a very good deal to pay rs650 for them.

in kanpur i'm getting the nokia5800 for 21k, and if i want the senn earphones i hav to pay 650rs extra.
do u guys think the Sennheiser LX90 are worth rs 650 as they cost abt the same in the us. i dont know how the nokia dealer said that these are worth rs4000. i was expecting the Sennheiser hd205 .:mad:

junk_qwe said:
Played around with the phone and it is a good one for sure. Only worry(so far) is the accelerometer which is somewhat bothersome. It switches the view between portrait and landscape mode too easily. It was rather annoying even though I used the phone for only 10 mins or so. Wonder what's Hanzy's take on this? Do you also have this problem? Would/could it be rectified with a software update?

+1 , but then ive mentioned in my review that i turned it off since i dont like it....the accelerometer is very sensitive.....but im not bothered and nor should u be bothered ..cause thats a KNOWN thing to Nokia and is as a upcoming fix in their next firmware release :) ......go thru my review thread all the replies and u will find a link there posted by someone for the list of fix's or just google :) ....turn it off and njoy.......but wait let me tell u , turning it off only disables the switching between landscape and portrait every now and then , in games i can still use it :D...but yes again very sensitive there....lets be patient and wait for the SP1 on this S60 :D

Back