The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: The 5800 XpressMusic Goes On Sale In India - Officially

jesal said:
has anyone got the stand the DT29. i do not have the same ? ? ?

It should come with the package?? Are you sure it's not there??
Yeah Nokia india has changed the home page, but they still have the phone in the "coming soon" section. Also in the homepage they have changed it from "Pre-book" to "Book now".... but strangely, clicking the book now link fails to open the site "booknokia.com" Maybe that site is not up yet... :ashamed:

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

jesal said:
has anyone got the stand the DT29. i do not have the same ? ? ?

Its present inside the box. Looks like a small plastic hook in its folded form. Pretty useful too. Got it in both boxes I got.

PhOeNiX said:
No gap here too. My pics are a bit reddish , not greenish.

I got the stand. It looks like a bottle opener. Check again.

Tried a few videos mp4 format. Work flawlessly , and is fun to watch also:). Just waiting for the phone to be released globally, especially all of europe and US of A. Then the apps will start pouring in.

the mp4's are fun like i told u last night aint they :eek:hyeah: ..... btw let me know if u got a convertor to convert .mpgs and .avis to the exact screen resolution of the 5800 without the black bands...

PhOeNiX said:
Tried a few videos mp4 format. Work flawlessly , and is fun to watch also:).

The great thing is that its playings MP4's with pretty high bit rates, one of the sample 640 x 360 videos on the phone has a bit rate of 2Mbps for video and 128Kbps for Stereo audio and the vid plays butter smooth. Most aXXo rips are playing smooth without any quality change. Though the screen is a bit small, I was blown away by the quality of video playback on this device.

Lord Nemesis said:
The great thing is that its playings MP4's with pretty high bit rates, one of the sample 640 x 360 videos on the phone has a bit rate of 2Mbps for video and 128Kbps for Stereo audio and the vid plays butter smooth. Most aXXo rips are playing smooth without any quality change. Though the screen is a bit small, I was blown away by the quality of video playback on this device.

aXXo rips in mp4 format ? :O

RoBoGhOsT said:
does the memory card comes loaded with some stuff or empty ?

by default there are vid's of the phones demo...batman trailer.....some other HQ clips....+ phoenix told me his phone was loaded with 2gb of some music , english + hindi mix something.......

personally i emptied all the stuff that came in the card the very moment i got it......:hap2: and loaded with my content....:D

there is no batman clip on my phone but quite a lot of english and hindi songs. Sending this from my 5800:)

hanzy said:
the mp4's are fun like i told u last night aint they :eek:hyeah: ..... btw let me know if u got a convertor to convert .mpgs and .avis to the exact screen resolution of the 5800 without the black bands...

Try ImTOO. Set video size to 640x360 and zoom ratio to FULL. Then there will be no black bands.
Why there is no display of video playing on phones when connected to TV? n95 has it.

hanzy said:
aXXo rips in mp4 format ? :O

Yep, just re encode the rip into MP4 format with the same or even higher bit rates and 640 x 360 res and you are good to go. To boot, most of the rips have resolutions very near to 640 x 360 more or less. Once we get some good video players, I am sure that this phone can play most rips directly.

there is no batman clip on my phone but quite a lot of english and hindi songs. Sending this from my 5800

Check the video folder. It's there along with a few Music vids as well as the 5800 XM intro and hints videos.

Songs - 100 Hindi , 100 English , and a few original ARR compositions. Decent collection. Got me through 2 days. Now on to make my playlists.

Switch, you using WLAN ?

Switch said:
there is no batman clip on my phone but quite a lot of english and hindi songs. Sending this from my 5800:)

How is the onscreen keyboard and predictive text function?

yup using wireless lan. And its fun to use with the styls. But one thing is surely irritating me is that i cant start a new paragraph with this phone no matter what mode i try. Like right now.

Hmmm ?? You can go into a new line/para. It's there in each mode. In the alphanumeric , just tap '0' thrice to get the "Enter" Sign.

The Enter/Return sign is there in the mini qwertty as well as the Full Qwerty modes also. It there at the bottom.

Are you in an Open WLAN network or a proxy driven one ? If the latter, can u guide me ?

shouldn' there be an enter key in the virtual keypad for going to the next line? or is it something else you're referring to?

well even if i use the full screen querty then also its buggy. I have tapped the enter key ten times but even then the line continues to be the same. Also i am missing my firefox now. Also i am on open wlan and not behind a proxy thankfully.

Used a brand new phone friend got yesterday, took a good 45 seconds to open the video folder with the pre loaded videos.

Touchscreen seems pretty sucky compared to my Sony 990i also, same with the UI.

Video playback is awesome, so is overall responsiveness. Web browser is pretty lame too, the zoom scroll isn't responsive and the overall intuitiveness simply isn't there.

So as I had expected, Nokia's first touchscreen is a half baked release and I haven't even seen the app support yet lol!

Anish said:
Used a brand new phone friend got yesterday, took a good 45 seconds to open the video folder with the pre loaded videos.

Touchscreen seems pretty sucky compared to my Sony 990i also, same with the UI.

Video playback is awesome, so is overall responsiveness. Web browser is pretty lame too, the zoom scroll isn't responsive and the overall intuitiveness simply isn't there.

So as I had expected, Nokia's first touchscreen is a half baked release and I haven't even seen the app support yet lol!
Agree with you. But its not that bad. Its taking time for me to make calls with the touch screen.

Back