The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: Nokia 5800. First impressions.

my price was 19.5k but i got 3.5k off for my k790i. half an hour later i go to another shop to get a scratchgard as the previous guy didn't have stock. he said 19000 :p

could have saved 500 but it's always a gamble of a couple of hundred bucks.

btw... could other users please post to say if they're facing the same issues as me? (hard to pull out stylus, poor response while scrolling up etc?)

ummm do u have theme transitions on...that causes the UI to be a bit laggy

You're right about the stylus thing, although i use it only for browsing...most of the other menu's are finger friendly

Fahrenheit said:
ummm do u have theme transitions on...that causes the UI to be a bit laggy

it was off by default on mine... and turning it on didn't make it any worse... of course it didn't make it better either.

maybe it's just a case of my expectations being too high. this is the only touch screen phone i've ever used apart from my friends iphone. i don't know if it's better than the other touchscreen phones available today.

guys, i can't seem to get Maps to work. i activated nokia maps but all i can see now is a globe. how do i get it to show me directions to a location in chennai or something like that. it's supposed to give you street by street directions with voice prompts right?

Well if you were looking for Nokia's Iphone killer, this isnt it...that would be the nokia n97..priced around 30k odd..releasing later this year.

Nokia's using this model to test the UI and get some feedback before they launch the N97..I'm pretty satisfied though. For 19k it has pretty much all the features i need and will have decent resale value 6 months down the line in case i get bored of it and decide to buy a newer phone.

zoom in...u will need GPRS to be active for Voice directions....

Once ur connected to the satellite, choose options and select My location...

nah i wasn't looking for an iphone killer. i firmly believe that such a phone will never exist. iphone sales will never be hurt by another phone even if it has all the features and more... just like ipods are still selling like hot cakes even though so many mp3 players were touted as ipod killers.

i just thought the touchscreen would be a little better.

Fahrenheit said:
zoom in...u will need GPRS to be active for Voice directions....

Once ur connected to the satellite, choose options and select My location...

i did that but it doesn't seem to be able to find it. i'm in chennai.

^ull need to goto ur terrace or any other open place. It normally takes around 5mins the first time you do it. After that if u have GPRS it takes less than a minute the next time u fire up Nokia Maps....Also download Google Maps, for some strange reason i found Google maps was faster in acquiring a signal than Nokia maps...

Hi Ashr,

Thanks for the short review. I have captured your review on my blog, which is read by many mobile phone enthusiasts all around the world. Hope Nokia reads that too and helps us in giving better future versions of this phone.

Cheers,

ashr said:
i did that but it doesn't seem to be able to find it. i'm in chennai.
if you have GPRS, then enable positioning methods (Assisted GPS, Network based, Integrated GPS) by going into Applications->location
for some reason if u do not get Sat lock quickly, A-Gps will help.
Maps will also be able to show your approximate position in some time based on ur GPRS connection speed.
if u r first time user, i suggest use the stylus for zooming.

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

shotgun said:
Sat Images was a definite +
Positioning was better. (my exp. others might have a different exp.)
Some area's Nokia Map did not show road names, google Map did have accurate road names.
more over, google map are free, more likely to offer additional services.

Does google maps overwrite nokia maps? or does it go as a seperate app in applications folder so that we can use both?

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

^^ thats cool thanks.. I am missing sat view in nokia maps. Btw voice navigation worked with GPRS. It was pretty cool :)

ashr said:
my price was 19.5k but i got 3.5k off for my k790i. half an hour later i go to another shop to get a scratchgard as the previous guy didn't have stock. he said 19000 :p

could have saved 500 but it's always a gamble of a couple of hundred bucks.

btw... could other users please post to say if they're facing the same issues as me? (hard to pull out stylus, poor response while scrolling up etc?)

jst 3.5k for a k790i:O I sold my k750i two years old for 3.6k:bleh:

Back