The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

buBleZ said:
^^ hw is it better than the nokia maps?

Sat Images was a definite +
Positioning was better. (my exp. others might have a different exp.)
Some area's Nokia Map did not show road names, google Map did have accurate road names.
more over, google map are free, more likely to offer additional services.

Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Official Price Announced !!

:) Battery Once dead, phone refuses switch-on unless u attach a charger. :no:
my ancient SE T610 used to obediently switch-on number of times after running out of battery (so u can switch-off ringers, vibration etc and extend on-time.) hence atleast having no-missed calls. :rofl:

anybody facing issues with the camera ???

i bought a 5800 for my gal today ...

but the camera is just ****ed up...

too much NOISE in pics... too much means too much..

the flash is also too bright

can someone else confirm ??

should i go back to dealer or Nokia care ??

Switch said:
Well the phone is fixed and yes the camera is really crappy...

well just got a word from a trustful friend of mine who works @ nokia India..

he says a new firmware is due in next 14 days..

most of the problems will be solved

PS:
i dont have any probs with this cell as of now.
i am actually likin it over my n82 ( naye ke nau din :p )

only prob is the cam..

rest this CELL is just A1

did someone try the Nokia exchange app?
Any corporate users here?

Me stuck to the winmo just for email and office apps. But i need good multimedia capabilities now. Camera is a no issue, never used a phone cam in my life.

@Dinesh, Switch, Hanzy: what about battery?
Anyone?

shotgun said:
Nikeel,
i did, and it should be done via wi-fi access point. dont try it with ur GPRS connection. if the connection gets broken, it @#%@!% stops downloading and u have to start all over again.
i.e. its not small enough to be done via GPRS.
must be ~ 1-3 MB
Ok. I was also thinking the same about doing it over wifi instead of gps.

sarang said:
did someone try the Nokia exchange app?
Any corporate users here?

Me stuck to the winmo just for email and office apps. But i need good multimedia capabilities now. Camera is a no issue, never used a phone cam in my life.

Anyone?
Sarang, i had installed the exchange app. and got an email from Nokia support regarding the configuration.
Hoever my office support team refused to provide the 'certificate' to be installed on the device. :mad: :mad:
so i dropped the plan of using that. that app creates few more folders under messaging where u will have ur exchange data synced.
once u install exchange app, u cannot (rather Not supposed to) use pc-sync.
Battery seems to work good and last longer when u use the phone as a phone. once u start using phone as a PDA, GPS, Games, Applications it starts eating up battery pretty fast.

sarang said:
Anyone?

I faced no problem with battery , now u might find the battery to drain out really fast becasue of the novelty and the playing around factor.......but then too the battery life was preety satisfactory for me....

@shotgun:
thanks for the reply bro.
I dont think my it dept will have any issue with this.

@Hanzy: Thank you
My typical usage constitutes 1/2 mails, checking mails each hour. 1/2 sms at the max, and max 1 hour of talking over phone.
Plus 2 hrs of music listening to and fro my way to office on my BT stereo headset. No wifi usage, how long do i expect the battery to last?

Secondly how irritating are the problems you guys have faced so far. I cant afford a trip to the nokia care centre every now and then.

Been thinking about the diamond and this one, however was more in favour of this one due to the music capabilities. Whats ur take?

Switch said:
Well if don't fix it in 48 hours i am going to consumer court and talking my money back.

TBH i don't like the phone that much. Only if i could get a iphone 3G somehow.

Hi Guys,

I was gonna buy the 5800 but the experiences so far from everyone looks like its not a good buy after all.

Should i go for a w902 instead then?

which is the next best mobile .

what i am looking for is :

Good camera with AF and flash

Good music

stylish and sleek looks

quick interface

A2DP

Touch screen optional

Good screen

Well if camera is that high up on your list of priorities then dont get the 5800. Other than that it's a pretty good phone at that cost....

Nokia 5800. First impressions.

Got mine today and I have mixed feelings about it.

I paid about 16k for it after exchanging my old phone and for sure, it is PACKED with a lot of features. if that's all you're looking for... it sure is a great buy for the price.

i am very disappointed with the touch screen and the interface. it's a huge letdown if you compare it with say, an iphone. now, i haven't used a nokia phone in 4 years. my last one was 6630 which i loved but i've been squatting at the SE camp after that. my major gripe is that i've always used phones with only my right hand with the thumb punching in keys. the only thing i can get away with like this is making/receiving calls and pressing large buttons on the main menu. text input with my thumb is really awkward as i push the wrong letters very often. i didn't have this problem with the iphone.

the touch screen is responsive yes but not enough. i can hold the phone with one hand and scroll through my contacts list with my thumb. it's a glide... on the way down. going up seems really hard. it also took me a while to get used to single and double clicks.

bring in the stylus and all of the above becomes much better. i guess it's too bad that i dislike using a stylus for the simplest of tasks. not to mention that i have to struggle for about 10 seconds just to get the stylus out of the slot. it doesn't come out with a swipe of the thumb like on many other phones.

i'm also missing words like 'Send' while messaging. the button to press when you want to send a message is an envelope. i thought it would take me back to my inbox initially. of course, these are things you get used to in a weeks time but it's a little counter intuitive at the moment.

the rest of the phone seems really good though. i can't talk about the camera since i haven't tested it enough in good light but the speaker is phenomenal for a phone. it almost sounds like i'm playing music out of a stereo. i got regular nokia headphones with these and i hear some people got sennheisers. i'll comment on audio quality once i use the phone with better headphones. the default ones are good enough for casual listening on the go.

well, i'm off to fiddle with it a little more. maybe i'll learn to live with most of the stuff i posted about but one handed thumb users like me would probably wanna test the phone for themselves before shelling out the money.

draz said:
Hi Guys,

I was gonna buy the 5800 but the experiences so far from everyone looks like its not a good buy after all.

Should i go for a w902 instead then?

which is the next best mobile .

what i am looking for is :

Good camera with AF and flash
Good music
stylish and sleek looks
quick interface
A2DP
Touch screen optional
Good screen

N82 or N85 fits the bill nicely...

Re: Nokia 5800. First impressions.

yup even I feel the touch screen shd be more responsive, took the demo of the phone today and the touch response is very bad compared to iphone.Cant compare iphone with nokia 5800.capacitive vs resistive

Resistive touch screen response is always good with stylus as compared to finger.Hope the responsiveness improves with firmware upgrade.

I got a quote of 19.3k for the phone.

Does anyone in TE own a w902. wanted to know first hand experience from someone. I find N series phones slightly on the heavy/bulky side. but will check out n82 in some showroom.

Also of late i see a most of TE member inclinded towards nokia than SE. I have not seen much SE phone reviews after k790i in TE. Have SE phones become that crappy

Back