The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: Nokia 5800. First impressions.

H@cKer said:
jst 3.5k for a k790i:O I sold my k750i two years old for 3.6k:bleh:

did you sell it to someone or was that an exchange price? dealers don't give you much usually.

ok Nokia Maps is really confusing the hell out of me. I can get it to work partially but I'm still having a lot of trouble with a few things.

it shows my position correctly normally... but when i ask it for directions to a cinema theater or something, my position changes to some other place in the city (not the destination either). how do i get it to give me proper voice directions?

also, it keeps asking me to go online... but when i do this, it gives me a connection error. I can browse the internet normally through Vodafone WAP though.

what am i doing wrong? is my GPS and GPRS configured correctly?

ashr said:
also, it keeps asking me to go online... but when i do this, it gives me a connection error. I can browse the internet normally through Vodafone WAP though.

what am i doing wrong? is my GPS and GPRS configured correctly?

You need a GPRS connection not WAP connection. WAP is not enough to connect to positioning servers

buBleZ said:
You need a GPRS connection not WAP connection. WAP is not enough to connect to positioning servers
I managed to connect using a WAP connection. Just set the WAP connection as default connection in the Maps as well as in the Positioning settings.

buBleZ said:

actually WAP is working on the phone ... only bcoz GPRS is on ...
wat he can check with his cellular plan is if his GPRS+edge is working :D

i have my vodafone live enabled... whatever that is (wap,gprs,edge?)

when Nokia maps asks me to go online... it does connect but then i search for the nearest movie theater and ask for walking directions... it shows my position in some other part of the city :S

when i start up maps but do not ask for directions... i.e when it opens up and simply shows my current position, it is correct.

ashr said:
i have my vodafone live enabled... whatever that is (wap,gprs,edge?)

when Nokia maps asks me to go online... it does connect but then i search for the nearest movie theater and ask for walking directions... it shows my position in some other part of the city :S

when i start up maps but do not ask for directions... i.e when it opens up and simply shows my current position, it is correct.
vodafone live by default enables GPRS+Edge.....

btw i am also facing the same prob on my 5800.. it does not go online .. says cant connect...

but internet browser and other chat utilities are working fine.

Dinesh_Malhotra said:
vodafone live by default enables GPRS+Edge.....

btw i am also facing the same prob on my 5800.. it does not go online .. says cant connect...

but internet browser and other chat utilities are working fine.

this is what i did to solve the problem of not going online.

1. Settings -> Connectivity -> Destinations

2. By default, the gprs settings were configured under an access point in WAP services.

3. I copied the same settings into Destinations -> Internet -> Vodafone Mobile Connect (this was already there on my phone but didn't have the settings configured)
i don't know if this is the right way or just a workaround but it seemed to work for me. give it a shot.

i'm still getting a wrong position when i go online using maps though.

ashr said:
this is what i did to solve the problem of not going online.

1. Settings -> Connectivity -> Destinations

2. By default, the gprs settings were configured under an access point in WAP services.

3. I copied the same settings into Destinations -> Internet -> Vodafone Mobile Connect (this was already there on my phone but didn't have the settings configured)
i don't know if this is the right way or just a workaround but it seemed to work for me. give it a shot.

i'm still getting a wrong position when i go online using maps though.
What you see as wrong position is actually youor Last known position.
solve ur connectivity issue's and your new position will be reflected.
If you have a proper Sat Lock, it will update ur position, but u need to be outdoors under clear sky for that.

can't use the regular browser? opera seems really cumbersome to use after getting used to the default browser.

also: does anyone use their 5800 WITHOUT a Scratchgard? I have one on but it catches fingerprints and stylus marks very easily. although i can just wipe them off, it can get very unsightly... i was wondering if the default screen is scratch proof.

ashr said:
can't use the regular browser? opera seems really cumbersome to use after getting used to the default browser.

also: does anyone use their 5800 WITHOUT a Scratchgard? I have one on but it catches fingerprints and stylus marks very easily. although i can just wipe them off, it can get very unsightly... i was wondering if the default screen is scratch proof.

I'm currently using the screenguard which came with the Phone..

I've ordered ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield. Should take a couple of weeks to ship to India, will post here once i receive it.

In case any of ull wanna buy this or anything else from the site Enter SHOWSP09 in the discount coupon box. Ull get 50% off ur total bill..but hurry though that offer is valid only till 19th jan....

^^ Did you order the full body one or the one only for the screen?? -wondering which one i should get ;)

which shipping method did u choose??

Back