The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

GenetiCDisasteR said:
you can buy it now, or wait a few days and buy it at a little reduced price, but believe me, theres NO PHONE in the market that offers so much features and symbian s60 at such a price point.

well said , bottom line.

It surely aint a I-phone but it aint costing as much as a iphone too :p

This is like the pulsar and cbz war when the pulsar got launched far cheaper with better features , however all the cbz had to offer was a silent engine sucking more gas and the tag 'Honda' to it.

aditya_bha said:
^^ It is costing 18.2k at the moment, should I buy or wait for sometime, as Im in urgent need of a cellphone ????

you self answered your own question , u are in an urgent need to buy it....no use buying something else and waiting for a price drop , by that time the phone u have bought loosing its resale value and you end up paying the same difference as the price drop. I guess the price will settle @ the 18k level or at abt 17.8-17.9 and hower around it....I remember someone posting buying it for 17.8k already!!!

hanzy said:
you self answered your own question , u are in an urgent need to buy it....no use buying something else and waiting for a price drop , by that time the phone u have bought loosing its resale value and you end up paying the same difference as the price drop. I guess the price will settle @ the 18k level or at abt 17.8-17.9 and hower around it....I remember someone posting buying it for 17.8k already!!!

Thanks for the replies guys

What is there with this firmware v20. I completely have no idea abt whats going on with the 5800XM. So plz tell me.

Also which colour looks best red or blue ?? wld ep-630 be sufficient for 5800xm ? as i heard abt some crappy bundled earphones

Reps Added

aditya_bha said:
Thanks for the replies guys
What is there with this firmware v20. I completely have no idea abt whats going on with the 5800XM. So plz tell me.

Reps Added

Forget abt it ,the V11 is as stable (i'm on v11 currently) .....the V20 has more of bling added for geo tagging , refined and the phone is faster.....you would be able to upgrade to it later anyways.......and like i said earlier....there is no firmware UPGRADE for me till Nokia fix's the freaking camera!

@ aditya_bha : i hope you have gone thru this thread and the other review thread to have complete understanding of the phone and the issues / concerns......if u are looking for a "camera" snap snap phone , then the 5800 is CURRENTLY atleast not for you.....

PS. The camera is good in proper day light though....@ night :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some few answers needed from experienced 5800 users

1) Is the GPS on the mobile practically useful for maps,finding your way etc. Will it work properly under normal conditions. I know , it wont work inside room... what abt in a car,under trees etc...

2) Is it chargeable via USB.. I heard it is not... Is it a hardware restriction or software/firmware?

3) Will you be able to read pdf's on the mobile. Any app available yet?

4) I know divx is a bit difficult to play on tis.. I am ready to convert. Will mp4 give the same clarity as the divx movies played on the phone... Except the hassle for converting, why everyone is interested in Divx player.. Is it more crisp and clear?.

Hanzy, You have mentioned that the price is 17.8k somewhere.. When I enquired at Planet M last week, they quoted 19.1k. They are giving 1 yr extended shop warranty and also they are saying that if the price drops within one week, they will give a gift voucher equivalent to the dropped amt. Is it worth it?.

Anyone knows any place in chennai where I can get it as cheap as possible?

mathew_p_a said:
Some few answers needed from experienced 5800 users

1) Is the GPS on the mobile practically useful for maps,finding your way etc. Will it work properly under normal conditions. I know , it wont work inside room... what abt in a car,under trees etc...

2) Is it chargeable via USB.. I heard it is not... Is it a hardware restriction or software/firmware?

3) Will you be able to read pdf's on the mobile. Any app available yet?

4) I know divx is a bit difficult to play on tis.. I am ready to convert. Will mp4 give the same clarity as the divx movies played on the phone... Except the hassle for converting, why everyone is interested in Divx player.. Is it more crisp and clear?.

Hanzy, You have mentioned that the price is 17.8k somewhere.. When I enquired at Planet M last week, they quoted 19.1k. They are giving 1 yr extended shop warranty and also they are saying that if the price drops within one week, they will give a gift voucher equivalent to the dropped amt. Is it worth it?.

Anyone knows any place in chennai where I can get it as cheap as possible?

1) I tried the GPS in car , once it hooked on to the satellites it was excellent. And no disconnection in mumbai traffic. Used it for a 20km drive and now with the Nokia Sports Tracker installed :) its even more amazing and excellent fast locks. Usually hooks on in like under 30 seconds. I only use GPS for tracking and logging and seeing roads and current location.

2) U are right , not chargable via USB. However there is a Nokia Accesory CA-100 cable which enables you to do so.....I saw a replica of it at an el-cheapo shop the other day for 60 buks.....'dint' bother.

3) Adobe Reader LE , google around.

4) Everyone is more interested cause no one wants the hassel of converting and stuff...just drag and drop the .avi file and viola ! ( well thats wat i think of waiting for the divx player to come out with a compatible version )....as of now , conversions!.....

its 17.8k in Thane i guess.....nice offer from planet m....even im on a extended plan but more important u check what does the extra warranty of 1 yr cover....in my case im covered upto - "Replacement" of the phone!.......check if planet m is limited upto - repairs , labour , or what !.....ensure u have that in writing or text.

Switch said:
There is nothing wrong with the phone. Its just that its not iphone :p

oh there are many things wrong with it. i don't mean on a fundamental level... i'm talking about very annoying bugs.

i don't really wanna get started on this but the rotation sensor is way too sensitive. it ends up switching even though you're holding it straight. youtube playback is terrible at this point. secondary camera doesn't work. the list goes on.

@ ashr,
Secondary camera works !!!

@hanzy,
Bad picture quality in low light is due to the size of the cmos sensor used. it is very tiny. i doubt the firmware can do anything about it:no: LOL, however the firmware can be optimised for the flash timings etc...
but in broad daylight / adequate indoor light, the camera works decently with its carl zeiss lens. The pictures are sharp and there is very less or practically no "noise" in the picture.

aditya_bha said:
Also which colour looks best red or blue ?? wld ep-630 be sufficient for 5800xm ? as i heard abt some crappy bundled earphones

Reps Added
I prefer blue. Didn't like the back cover on the red model. And yes the EP-630 is quite enough. I'm using my EP-630 itself and am quite happy with the audio quality. I didn't even try the bundled earphones :p

ashr said:
you don't seem to understand. sure it works for the lucky few who managed to update the firmware before Nokia pulled it down but for the majority on this site as well as new buyers, the secondary camera is unusable as of now.

it's a horrendous oversight on Nokia's part to release phones which have a major feature disabled. software bugs are one thing... unusable hardware is entirely different. what if the primary camera was not working and Nokia promised to make it available in 3 or 4 firmware updates? would you or others keep quiet?

a secondary camera is not a selling point for many users in India at the moment but i'm pretty certain there are plenty of people around the world who were interested in the idea of video conferencing over 3g networks.

what are u talking about man , ur talking about a "VGA" camera ! which you wouldnt use even if it would have worked......Im on V11 and my front Camera "works"........i can stream / save / record everything using the front camera !....that too over the wifi.....

ashr said:
you don't seem to understand. sure it works for the lucky few who managed to update the firmware before Nokia pulled it down but for the majority on this site as well as new buyers, the secondary camera is unusable as of now.

it's a horrendous oversight on Nokia's part to release phones which have a major feature disabled. software bugs are one thing... unusable hardware is entirely different. what if the primary camera was not working and Nokia promised to make it available in 3 or 4 firmware updates? would you or others keep quiet?

a secondary camera is not a selling point for many users in India at the moment but i'm pretty certain there are plenty of people around the world who were interested in the idea of video conferencing over 3g networks.

The secondary camera works WITHOUT any firmware update for 3G video calls. :hap2:

What the firmware update does is only allow the user to use the secondary camera to click pictures.

my bad then. however, my opinion still stands. it can be a great phone but it simply isn't there yet. needs a little more work.

@ashr,
I hope now you are satisfied that the secondary camera works :).
My only grouse is that the processor of this phone is too slow (369 Mhz ARM 11 Processor), while on the other hand nearly all newer models of nokia use the 600Mhz version.
How about o/cing this cpu :cool2: anyone got any ideas on how to do that ?:clap:

ps: I was lucky enough to be able to upgrade the FW as soon as it was released and i am only posting here the benefits(of upgrade) and the potential drawbacks that one can encounter on doing the upgrade FOTA, is that a crime ????:huh: where is the snobbish attitude in any of my posts?

Finally got the 5800XM (blue) :)

It is showing up firmware v11.0.008.

How do I upgrade to to v20 firmware

AFAIK this firmware hasnt come to india ?????

aditya_bha said:
Finally got the 5800XM (blue) :)
It is showing up firmware v11.0.008.

How do I upgrade to to v20 firmware
AFAIK this firmware hasnt come to india ?????

hey aditya

is the ear piece problem fixed in this one?

Back