The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

why does not every one chill out for a week. if red is out the blue will follow. i wonder whats the scene with black one around the world. its obvious that red is more popular buy than the blue. this week it shall be out. i have the blue too but i dont really care about the new fw as of now. i need to format my phone and chip once first then i shall update.

Even the red isn't out mate :p But yeah, if it was released and pulled back, must be for some good only. Will be up again soon i hope. Do keep this post updated if you guys manage to get it done.

From the Nokia update site:
"Nokia Software Updater planned maintenance break - 14 Feb 19:00GMT - 15 Feb 19:00GMT
There will be a planned maintenance break this weekend, during which time the Nokia Software Updater service will not be available. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Edit: i see u guys discussing about color wrt updates. How does the color matter except for the color of the installed theme? whenever the FW is released for India both should be released simultaneosly i guess.

ps: Has anybody with the latest FW managed to install the "The Pencil" application?. i d/l it, got it signed by me, d/l and installed the signed version but during the installation the application crashes the mobile severely, have to switch on the phone again.
also , according to you guys, which phone key would be ideal as "The Pencil" key , the Camera key or the Green dial key?

it's not out yet. Nokia have pulled it back and they probably have very good reasons for doing so.

while the firmware definitely has brought about some much needed improvements, it looks like some nasty bugs tagged along as well. check this thread to see what many people who updated have to say about it.

the deal breaker bug here is the one where people using a lock code couldn't use their phones after updating. Nokia cannot afford errors like this and as far as my speculation goes, they've pulled the release back to fix these bugs.

i hope the people who've already updated will have easy access to the "fixed" firmware (IF there is one at all. this is purely an educated guess on my part) and not have to deal with some version already exists bullshit.

The solution to the phone lock problem after upgrading the FW is very simple. one just have to use some brains thats all.even i had the same problem after upgrading but it took me 5 minutes to figure out the problem and the solution.
BTW, did any member here, who have managed to upgrade somehow, face this problem ?

Also afaik, nokia has not yet released the fw for India so the question of pulling it back does not arise.

Early bird gets the worm.
or
It could be due to actions of some young, over enthusiastic, semi ignorant / literate nokia employee ( i.e. a typical tech forum member)
or
It could be due to other technical reasons

whatever be the reason some in India have managed to d/l the new fw OTA without hacking the phone i.e. changing the phone code etc...

I guess nokia may release the fw here when they finish revamping their web infrastructure here by including music store etc...

that's exactly what i meant by pulled back. it was available OTA a few days back and now it's not on their servers anymore... for whatever reason. my guess is the bugs.

remember, you and most other people here may be smart enough to get around stuff like phone not booting up in case of a lock code but the majority are not. Nokia cannot afford that.

the lock code prob occured to me when i updated via fota when it released. after a week i finally resolved it, FACTORY RESET using a software called JAF. use google and you should be fine! ;)

Geneticdisaster,
What exactly happen when you tried to enter the phone lock code after the upgrade? what was displayed on the screen?
There is a simpler,common sense,approach to the problem.
no need for drastic measures like factory reset etc..
btw , after the reset did you loose ur DRM licences, i.e. inability to play the factory loaded songs ?

obama said:
Geneticdisaster,
What exactly happen when you tried to enter the phone lock code after the upgrade? what was displayed on the screen?
There is a simpler,common sense,approach to the problem.
no need for drastic measures like factory reset etc..
btw , after the reset did you loose ur DRM licences, i.e. inability to play the factory loaded songs ?

:no:
I think the approach wud have been smaller than this post!

Euro_Rules said:
Yesterday I buy it @ 19200RS...
Grate Mobile phone :hap2:
But it has defect which has in all Nokia phones :bleh:

:eek: dude the price is 18XXX at all places now............15 days back my pal got it for 18.6k !.......if u have got it using CC then i guess the price is right , including the extra charges etc....

the lock code, no matter what i enter, says code error. believe me if there was some simpler way to get past it i already would have. and anyway that problem also screwed my memory card so had to format that too. all gone now... sadly...

I had faced similar problem when i had upgraded OTA.
to enter the valid default code of 12345 i did this..
1) press the "1" key seven times (or may be eight) to get number 1
2) press the key "2" four times to get the number 2.
3) Press the key "3" four times to get the number 3 and so on till number 5 (again press 4 times)
and the solution worked for me.

I think the keypad in not in numeric mode when the phone restarts after the upgrade.

Back