The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

its mostly stable. video recording under good light, 640x480 30fps is as good as any n series carl ziess cam can be. Bad lighting = bad camera.

The latest firmware does a lot of tweaking, for using it as a regular phone its ok, but apps won't be done justice to, as only 40mb ram is now available free after boot.

This phone, as good as it is, and i can tell you that its great since i've been using it since Jan, i suggest if you have the money, go get an n97 when it comes out. Yes 5800 is good, but since you've been with n82 and n95 8gb, i suggest you upgrade rather than downgrade. This is a mid-range smartphone. Not high end. N97 is what you need! ;)

GenetiCDisasteR said:
its mostly stable. video recording under good light, 640x480 30fps is as good as any n series carl ziess cam can be. Bad lighting = bad camera.

The latest firmware does a lot of tweaking, for using it as a regular phone its ok, but apps won't be done justice to, as only 40mb ram is now available free after boot.

This phone, as good as it is, and i can tell you that its great since i've been using it since Jan, i suggest if you have the money, go get an n97 when it comes out. Yes 5800 is good, but since you've been with n82 and n95 8gb, i suggest you upgrade rather than downgrade. This is a mid-range smartphone. Not high end. N97 is what you need! ;)

Eeh ?? I get around 68-70 MB free after a fresh boot, and i have around 8-9 apps installed ... wth .. free ram drops to around 45-50 mb after 3-4 days of serious usage :p ..

Switch said:
I just started using the GPS Maps by Nokia. Do you need to download anything from the net after activating the license.

just make sure latest maps are downloaded and installed. Before installing delete the existing maps and then install for a proper install

yogi7272 said:
Ok .. plans dropped..need a solid phone for now.. n82 is the way to go for now. :)

yogi7272 even though im a 5800 user , i totally agree to ur plan of sticking to N82.....what u need is the N97 :) , the 5800 is more likely a test bed for apps for the N97 currently :) , u wont starve for apps when the phone is out like the 5800 cause everything will be easily available and the OS will also be a perfect blend.......also u would definately say the "camera sux" on the 5800 since u have been a N82 user.

^^^^
Actually what i need is to n86 to come out quickly. It seems to be a very good handset. But looks like i have to wait for june for n86 to be available. Hence tried and tested n82 will be just fine..:)

50-55mb ram is still nothing compared to the 74mb that was available in the v11 firmware (according to allaboutsymbian). I think nokia need to look into that problem for the next firmware update... its not a big problem now, but when apps like gdesk and coreplayer come out for s60v5, it will be a problem...

Guys, got the phone last week and am pretty happy with it :D

But i've been trying to get this connected to the PC suite for the past four days and i've still not managed it. I'm running vista, and the PC suite drivers fail for some strange reason everytime I try to install the PC suite and connect the phone.

It connects well in mass storage mode. No Problems there, but even after numerous uninstalls and reinstalls of the PC suite, the phone is still not getting detected.

The same setup I tried in my firends laptop, also running vista, and everything installed fine there and the phone got connected to the PC suite.

But in my desktop, the drivers keep failing to install everytime. During the numerous reinstalls, sometimes it will get detected partially (not all services will be available) but after a reboot, it will not get detected again.

I've tried everything from my motherboard driver reinstalls to even running a Nokia PC suite cleanup utility, but nothing seems to set it right. The only option is reinstalling vista, which i dont want to do...

Any suggestions to set things right will be great!!! :ashamed: :ashamed:

You select the PC Suite mode in the phone when you fire up the software ? Try and install the Nokia USB drivers which you can find on the site.

PhOeNiX said:
You select the PC Suite mode in the phone when you fire up the software ? Try and install the Nokia USB drivers which you can find on the site.

Yes, chose the PC Suite mode... On clicking the Driver install popup in vista, I can see that around 5 drivers fail to install. Also tried the CA101 cable drivers.. no use.

Once the phone is connected, I can see from the device manager that some of the drivers have failed. I uninstalled them manually from the device manager and on scanning for new hardware, I was able to install four items successfully by browsing for driver files in the system.

However, still one item is failing, the MTP driver, which I think is the major one. Now PC suite detects the phone, but none of the functions work. Sync doesnt happen, cant view messages, calendar... basically nothing works. But the phone is detected by the PC suite...

Will do some more fiddling and try to sort it out... any ideas are welcome :cool2: :cool2:

There is a video leaked of the V21 running on the 5800.....go to youtube and search for Nokia 5800 V21 ......din't find anything new in there :mad: @ NOKIA :mad:

[youtube]Gvrjpc-2cnI[/youtube] - Part 1

[youtube]t8UsXB_b3CI[/youtube] - Part 2

vpraveenis said:
Version 7.1.18.0 downloaded from Nokia website.... I've tried everything I can... and thinking about giving up.. :no: :no:

try the following :

1) remove the memory card from the phone and then let vista install the MTP drivers. before u do so remove the driver / not porperly installed device from device manager...

2) try this registry mod

Change into the registry this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Connectivity Solution\Configurations\Nokia]

The parameter: "WPDEnabled"=dword:00000001 by "WPDEnabled"=dword:00000000

try both steps one - by - one....

i had this same freaking problem on my windows xp :mad: , during flashing phone from v11 to v20 this MTP driver FAILED to installed and ruined my upgrade....luckily everything worked fine after a reboot and the phone got upgraded via some scarry recovery mode!

thetechmind said:
try the following :

1) remove the memory card from the phone and then let vista install the MTP drivers. before u do so remove the driver / not porperly installed device from device manager...

2) try this registry mod

try both steps one - by - one....
i had this same freaking problem on my windows xp :mad: , during flashing phone from v11 to v20 this MTP driver FAILED to installed and ruined my upgrade....luckily everything worked fine after a reboot and the phone got upgraded via some scarry recovery mode!

Already tried method 1. MTP driver installed successfully, but some other item failed. Connected the device, went to Device manager. Uninstalled one-by-one, those which have not installed successfully. On scanning for new hardware, then got installed successfully. Then PC Suite detected the phone. Bu I was not able to do anything. Sync failed, backup failed. Messages and contacts were not loaded..... all with the PC suite showing the phone as connected.

Restart the system and everything will be back to non-working self. :mad:

Also tried 2. No improvement.

I dont mind reinstalling vista, if it would solved the problem. If it doesnt..... i'll be mad.

And, i have a USB bluetooth adapter.... I'm able to transfer the files by pairng it normally.... But the PC suite will not detect the phone in bluetooth mode also :mad: :mad:

^ clearly indicates something is really messed up with your OS.......i really doubt even a reinstall might fix it or not......i suggest u go ahead and get ready for a clean reinstall.......also....u might try disabling any antivirus/firewall/ad-ware/ spyware/ shield program u have on ur desktop and then try the pc-suite option....maybe something is blocking something........if still no go....u have to do a clean install.......in that case u could try reinstalling first to save the entire hassle.

thetechmind said:
^ clearly indicates something is really messed up with your OS.......i really doubt even a reinstall might fix it or not......i suggest u go ahead and get ready for a clean reinstall.......also....u might try disabling any antivirus/firewall/ad-ware/ spyware/ shield program u have on ur desktop and then try the pc-suite option....maybe something is blocking something........if still no go....u have to do a clean install.......in that case u could try reinstalling first to save the entire hassle.

Apart from this problem, the OS is pretty good. No crash, hang or slowdowns.... that is what is making me think twice about going for a reinstall...

I disabled antivirus and firewall as soon as I encountered the problem the first time...

So seems like reinstall if not clean install seems to be the way out.... but only one problem... my DVD drive is dead!! :mad: :mad:

Back