The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

vpraveenis said:
Apart from this problem, the OS is pretty good. No crash, hang or slowdowns.... that is what is making me think twice about going for a reinstall...

I disabled antivirus and firewall as soon as I encountered the problem the first time...

So seems like reinstall if not clean install seems to be the way out.... but only one problem... my DVD drive is dead!! :mad: :mad:

aint that cool...u finally have a bahana to buy a new dvd drive :hap2:

Hows the GPS working out for you guys?

I feel something is wrong with mine.. it takes about 5-10 minutes to get a location fix even when i am standing in open space.
It alternates between 3 satellites to 4 most of the times at Navi Mumbai and the signal drops far too often when i am making a trip to anywhere..

A-GPS and network enabled on v20 firmware.

prediff said:
Hows the GPS working out for you guys?

I feel something is wrong with mine.. it takes about 5-10 minutes to get a location fix even when i am standing in open space.

It alternates between 3 satellites to 4 most of the times at Navi Mumbai and the signal drops far too often when i am making a trip to anywhere..

A-GPS and network enabled on v20 firmware.

5 -10mins is normal for a cold start. After that it tracks the satellites easily.

IF you have a GPRS connection then the lock would just take 5-20secs by using info from nokia servers.

When you said you are making trip are you inside a car?

Also when you have GPRS conn this will not be there

buBleZ said:
5 -10mins is normal for a cold start. After that it tracks the satellites easily.

IF you have a GPRS connection then the lock would just take 5-20secs by using info from nokia servers.
When you said you are making trip are you inside a car?

Also when you have GPRS conn this will not be there

A-GPS is on so is my GPRS connection, and i do notice data being transferred, so yes something is going on. But i can most definitely say that the lock takes more than 5 -20 secs cold start or not.
Plus it makes no difference whether its car,bus or standing in a open parking lot.. never seen less than 5 minutes to a lock yet.

It looks like nokia is using inferiour quality gps chips in these new devices like n85 , 5800, n79 etc. I just recently went from n85 to my trusty n82. With n85 i never got a proper satellite lock even after using agps. But with n82 i get the lock within 10 seconds flat.Something surely wrong with these new devices.

Even without agps the lock time is same as 5-10 seconds ..

prediff said:
A-GPS is on so is my GPRS connection, and i do notice data being transferred, so yes something is going on. But i can most definitely say that the lock takes more than 5 -20 secs cold start or not.
Plus it makes no difference whether its car,bus or standing in a open parking lot.. never seen less than 5 minutes to a lock yet.

hmm.. using A-GPS it takes only 10secs to acquire lock in my 5800. Could you try with another GPS phone or another 5800 to find out that there is no specific issue on your phone?

buBleZ said:
hmm.. using A-GPS it takes only 10secs to acquire lock in my 5800. Could you try with another GPS phone or another 5800 to find out that there is no specific issue on your phone?

Well, i dont have a GPS device around, which is why i posted here to check if this is normal or not :). and looks like it isnt..

Anyways, seems that the v21 firmware is out.. atleast for HK variant of the nokia 5800. Lets hope it lands in India soon enough.

CONFIRMED features of new v21.0.025 so far,

* You can set up breathing lights (intervals and which things they should let you know) (missed calls - new sms - new e-mail)

* The screen reacts faster and is more correct, Faster Touch UI Experience

* The xpress music thing is colored red again in default theme

* Browsing is way faster and wifi also (1min page loads reduced to few seconds!)

* Icons look a big bigger than before

* You only have 3 font size options (before you have like 4 or more)

* The icons have changed a bit (sms icons look more E-series like.)

* 72 MB phone memory and 54 MB Ram Memory

Some minor yet needed fixes done, looks like v21 will do the job for now, till v30 with kinetic scrolling and widgets comes... no wait thats just me dreaming lol

v21 Firmware is available via FOTA. Not yet available in NSU.

Changes I've noticed -

* Breathing light and notification light

* Phone seems a bit faster especially while rotating the screen. Theme effects are faster too.

* SMS Icons - Back to the old closed envelope for new and open envelope for old messages.

found this on a forum:

* Lock code does not work after FOTA update

* Logs: Info cannot be seen in missed calls if name includes special characters

* The envelope icon doesn’t open after reading the sms

* Autolock requested via MfE but not activated

* MPX harvester server crach with DRM files

* Oper. menu application icon missing after NSU update

* CDP Displays: CDP Clock and Data Have To Be Transmitted 2 Frames Before Sleep Out (SLPOUT 11h) Command

* “Program closed: Idle” after Restoring factory settings

* Video telephone: Phone reboots after tap call button several times when answer an incoming video call

* Music Player crashes when user tries to refresh Real audio into Music library

* Dialer: The cursor is not displayed in dialer panel

* Audio disappears after playing music long time with BT

* Music player the album art in Now Playing view is downscaled

* Access point password is not provisionable

* Voice commands application crashes after language change

* Synchronization cannot be done using PC Suite Sync application

* FL3.0: Inline Text editing from browser plugin is not successful

* Browser does not show some MIME-types of type image correctly

* Browser: Not possible to move the cursor when typing in a <textarea> field

* Browser: Page scroll wobbles if user scrolls with flash while page is in scroll motion

* Browser: Page does not scroll if drag is started from the edge of flash window

* Browser: Page scroll does not work after stopping going to new page opened via flash banner

* Bluetooth causing extra current consumption when activated

* Predictive search not working properly in country selection

* Music Player application crashes if album art is selected to be changed

* Duplicate contacts after restore

* Music Player: White screen displayed if change orientation between landscape and portable mode

* MO/MT calls will not work when restoring backup from old phone to more recent version

NEW FEATURES AND APPLICATIONS

* Notification Lights according to Nokia Design specification

* Touch usability improvements:

* Finger touch support for Special Character Table

* Size of arrows (tab pane & navi pane) in touch UI

* Arrows in forms, date & time selection, touch UI

* Profile, date area in touch UI

* Calendar Finger usability: change single row list items in day view wider

frankmehta said:
found this on a forum:

* Lock code does not work after FOTA update
* Logs: Info cannot be seen in missed calls if name includes special characters
* The envelope icon doesn’t open after reading the sms
* Autolock requested via MfE but not activated
* MPX harvester server crach with DRM files
* Oper. menu application icon missing after NSU update
* CDP Displays: CDP Clock and Data Have To Be Transmitted 2 Frames Before Sleep Out (SLPOUT 11h) Command
* “Program closed: Idle†after Restoring factory settings
* Video telephone: Phone reboots after tap call button several times when answer an incoming video call
* Music Player crashes when user tries to refresh Real audio into Music library
* Dialer: The cursor is not displayed in dialer panel
* Audio disappears after playing music long time with BT
* Music player the album art in Now Playing view is downscaled
* Access point password is not provisionable
* Voice commands application crashes after language change
* Synchronization cannot be done using PC Suite Sync application
* FL3.0: Inline Text editing from browser plugin is not successful
* Browser does not show some MIME-types of type image correctly
* Browser: Not possible to move the cursor when typing in a <textarea> field
* Browser: Page scroll wobbles if user scrolls with flash while page is in scroll motion
* Browser: Page does not scroll if drag is started from the edge of flash window
* Browser: Page scroll does not work after stopping going to new page opened via flash banner
* Bluetooth causing extra current consumption when activated
* Predictive search not working properly in country selection
* Music Player application crashes if album art is selected to be changed
* Duplicate contacts after restore
* Music Player: White screen displayed if change orientation between landscape and portable mode
* MO/MT calls will not work when restoring backup from old phone to more recent version

NEW FEATURES AND APPLICATIONS

* Notification Lights according to Nokia Design specification
* Touch usability improvements:
* Finger touch support for Special Character Table
* Size of arrows (tab pane & navi pane) in touch UI
* Arrows in forms, date & time selection, touch UI
* Profile, date area in touch UI
* Calendar Finger usability: change single row list items in day view wider

so, wat do u guys say, is it worth to upgrade to v21 ???

I made the jump. Was around 2MB , the upgrade. happened in 10 min. Seems pretty much teh same except the notification lights and the icons. Will check Camera IQ 2moro.

Updated mine and everything seems fine .. update was small though, hardly 4 mb, so dont expect any major change .. maybe v30 in the making :p ..

~67 MB ram free at start, and phone mem. was ~77 MB, theme effects are faster now ..

PS : There was a v21 out before these for HK one's, which was immediately pulled off for some unknown reason. Maybe the guy who faced the bugs updated the firmware then ..

Updated my fone from 11 to 21 .. Looking much better the search feature is enhanced ..the tabs in msging are revolving and much bigger ..the alphabets in qwerty are bigger ... Fone is faster than before .. Bit of new icons as well ... New music and downloads icon are looking nice ... FOTA Upgrade itself was really easy .. Mine was 12mb ...

Maybe 12mb coz you had a total upgrade from 11 to 21. we just jumped from 20 to 21 so only 2mb.

One feature which is still missing and was hyped about with rumors before the FW was released is the on-screene touch Menu button, which is so required. Hope they add it soon.

Back