The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

v.Na5h said:
Somebody Help please :mad:

Acting like a 4 year old doesnt get anyone to help you. Apparently a simple google search on the word symbian is beyond your capabilities so i doubt figuring out the details on an operating system should be high on your to do list.

Aaanyways, the symbian foundation website is a good source of information. You will still not find out the detailed specifications of how Nokia implements it for a simple reason that Nokia doesnt give out those details. Interesting site though, probably the best start for someone planning to develop apps for symbian.

prediff said:
Acting like a 4 year old doesnt get anyone to help you. Apparently a simple google search on the word symbian is beyond your capabilities so i doubt figuring out the details on an operating system should be high on your to do list.

Aaanyways, the symbian foundation website is a good source of information. You will still not find out the detailed specifications of how Nokia implements it for a simple reason that Nokia doesnt give out those details. Interesting site though, probably the best start for someone planning to develop apps for symbian.

IF I WOULD HAVE GOT THE INF. I NEED THROUGH GOOGLE/YAHOO/BING SEARCH WHY THE F*** WOULD I POST SEVERAL TIMES IN THIS THREAD :mad::mad::mad:

the symbian foundation website is pretty useless for me
coz i dont want to develop apps i just want to make minor changes in it
oreover it just provides news , new apps and other such stuff

gforce said:
For all Avatar fans - here's a nice S60v5 Avatar theme including custom icons:

Download from here: Nokia 5800 and N97 Theme # 1064 - Avatar by Morkino

Honestly, it looks crap.

v.Na5h said:
IF I WOULD HAVE GOT THE INF. I NEED THROUGH GOOGLE/YAHOO/BING SEARCH WHY THE F*** WOULD I POST SEVERAL TIMES IN THIS THREAD :mad::mad::mad:

the symbian foundation website is pretty useless for me

coz i dont want to develop apps i just want to make minor changes in it

oreover it just provides news , new apps and other such stuff

Interesting.. so you thought that you'd get operating system info at a user forum which is not even vaguely related to Symbian and Nokia?

And you found the site which caters to Symbian developers *pretty useless*?

Few things to remember,

1. Being abusive is really not the best way to get people to help you out.

2. Learn to love google and/or bing.

Symbian developer community - make a device is what i was referring to earlier. If you had the patience to read a bit in the Symbian foundation site, you would have found it for yourself.

You would still not find to the point information, since like i said before, this type of information is not released by Nokia.

Also, since Symbian v3 and Symbian v5(which 5800XM is) is Symbian^1 which is not publicly documented or open source. Most of the hacks are made by people who manage to reverse engineer bits and pieces of the code.

And grow up a bit and tone down.

prediff said:
Being abusive is really not the best way to get people to help you out.
Sorry for being rude :ashamed:

prediff said:
You would still not find to the point information, since like i said before, this type of information is not released by Nokia.
Also, since Symbian v3 and Symbian v5(which 5800XM is) is Symbian^1 which is not publicly documented or open source. Most of the hacks are made by people who manage to reverse engineer bits and pieces of the code.
I need some unofficial(not the information released by Nokia) inf like the hacks by reverse engineers and just said to share the links of the exact webpages maybe of some symbian forums (its almost a week iam searching for this)

prediff said:
And you found the site which caters to Symbian developers *pretty useless*?

Thanks for the link
I just said that it was pretty useless *for me* not for the developers.

v.Na5h said:
Sorry for being rude :ashamed:
I need some unofficial(not the information released by Nokia) inf like the hacks by reverse engineers and just said to share the links of the exact webpages maybe of some symbian forums (its almost a week iam searching for this)

Thanks for the link
I just said that it was pretty useless *for me* not for the developers.

Understandable, considering that you never reached till the developer pages to notice the Make a device section which is about building ROMS and porting.
And developers in symbian is not only about applications anymore, they have laid the OS bare to play with.

V.Nash, this is a completely offtopic chitchat happening here in the 5800XM thread :), and on top of that i am not entirely sure that reverse engineering is a allowed discussion topic as per forum rules.
If you feel like continuing this you can start a new thread and maybe that will catch the eye of a developer or reverse engineers.

Any one tried playing FLAC format on your 5800xm? I tried searching but didn't get any definite answer to it. Core player and Ogg player do support FLAC but they only work on S60 v3.

jags1987 said:
Any one tried playing FLAC format on your 5800xm? I tried searching but didn't get any definite answer to it. Core player and Ogg player do support FLAC but they only work on S60 v3.

I use 'FolderPlay' to play FLAC :hap2:

_

ill pay a hundred rupees for every song that you listen to, on any phone if you can distinguish WHERE FLACs make a difference over a 320 kbps track ripped from an original cd.

frankmehta said:
ill pay a hundred rupees for every song that you listen to, on any phone if you can distinguish WHERE FLACs make a difference over a 320 kbps track ripped from an original cd.

FLACs in my 5800+ep630/pl30 really is much better than 320kbps acdrips for a LOT of new tamil film songs. same opinion about brainwave flacs. but if space is a concern then don't bother about the flacs.

also if few songs are just available with you as flacs, you can directly listen to them without the hassle of conversion.

I'm not interested in your 100 rs/song offer but thought would say what I heard thats all. YMMV sir :p

but playing flacs takes more cpu cycles (naturally) cos of that battery drains faster and not able to multitask. :ashamed:

_

not here to argue with anyone here, and not definitely flaming, but I have tried listening to a RIPPED FLAC (using dbPowerAmp) from an Original CD, vis a vis the SAME cd, in my car audio cd player, home audio cd player, AND compared a 320 kbps rip of the same CD to the FLAC version on OggPlay. NO DIFFERENCE.

Mind you, the car equipment in question was a really high end system, and the phone in question was IN FACT the 5800 that I owned. The headphones in question then were the Sennheiser LX90 and the amplifier used was the Fiio E5.

According to me, it's ALL in the head.

frankmehta said:
not here to argue with anyone here, and not definitely flaming, but I have tried listening to a RIPPED FLAC (using dbPowerAmp) from an Original CD, vis a vis the SAME cd, in my car audio cd player, home audio cd player, AND compared a 320 kbps rip of the same CD to the FLAC version on OggPlay. NO DIFFERENCE.

Mind you, the car equipment in question was a really high end system, and the phone in question was IN FACT the 5800 that I owned. The headphones in question then were the Sennheiser LX90 and the amplifier used was the Fiio E5.

According to me, it's ALL in the head.

i think the amps and other high end systems are making the mp3 sound much better :eek:hyeah:

for my plain listening with just the 5800+ep630/pl30 i can definitely acknowledge the difference :jumpy:

_

Guys how is the camera on this ? ,sharp and crisp ? .LED flash seems to be week . I am comparing this with SE k790i 3.5 MP Auto focus , xenon flash . Phone looks and works good expect the camera part which i use heavily .

I think the K790 takes better snaps than the 5800. When I had originally purchased the 5800XM back in Nov 08, I had run a series of comparo shots between it and my old P1i and the latter had come out on top. I think GSMArena's review of the 5800 has some comparo shots between the K800 and 5800XM for you to decide.

Overall, I'd rate the camera as average.

nfsnfs said:
Guys how is the camera on this ? ,sharp and crisp ? .LED flash seems to be week . I am comparing this with SE k790i 3.5 MP Auto focus , xenon flash . Phone looks and works good expect the camera part which i use heavily .

The camera is average at best. Whlie it shoots great in bright sunlight, quality degrades as the light decreases.

Here is a sample picture , I took it from my home. 4days back.

if you look closely, you will notice how grainy it is. if you are looking for device primarly for camera function. I suggest to avoid Nokia 5800

Back