The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

Guys I uninstalled Nokia maps and around 10 mb memory was recovered. Ovi maps still works fine and i am thinking of removing ovi maps also as I am using Garmin mobilext. After uninstalling Nokia maps the software update application start giving u an option for installing ovi maps(even though ovi maps are installed) which is nothing but nokia maps only.

^^ So it means you ignore that request to install the Ovi maps (since it is already installed) and still you manage to make GPS work fine ?

Also i suggest you dont remove OVI maps since it is quite featured and has voice navigation and all and top of this there is no worry of cracked app or unsigned stuff, since it is free from Nokia. Use garmin along side and moreover you get updates of Ovi maps too regularly.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

So what actually is the difference between Nokia maps and Ovi maps ??? :S

raksrules said:
^^ So it means you ignore that request to install the Ovi maps (since it is already installed) and still you manage to make GPS work fine ?

Also i suggest you dont remove OVI maps since it is quite featured and has voice navigation and all and top of this there is no worry of cracked app or unsigned stuff, since it is free from Nokia. Use garmin along side and moreover you get updates of Ovi maps too regularly.

OVI maps works fine even after uninstalling Nokia maps, and the option which comes in the software update install "nokia maps" even though it says that the update available is "ovi maps".

I really dont know the dfference between the two first it was Nokia Smart2Go, renamed to Nokia Maps and then to Ovi Maps.

Some stats:

Previously free phone memory : 20 mb

After uninstalling nokia maps: 34 mb

I guess there is a way to sync mobile phone contacts, calendar, tasks, messages (not sure about this) with google. How to go about doing that ??

Is there an app which can secure the phone i mean some app like wavesecure which is there for Android which send sms when an sim is changed it also sends email regarding the same .

@Metalspree

YGPM :)

I have noticed something today. I had uninstalled the Roller Coaster Rev 99 game from my phone and regained 4 MB of phone memory. But today morning i saw my 4 MB down again and i noticed the game had *self installed* :wtf: I have no clue how this happened and this time the game was visible in the Installed apps folder instead of the Games folder. So guys remove this game again if it *self installs*

I installed Sygic Mobile maps in my 5230 - thanks to Raksrules & Killerz ( reps added :) ). But the problem is it is taking a long time to get a satellite fix even outside the building. Anybody got this problem?

Also, the opda site is not working. Is there any other way to get certificate for signing the apps?

^^ I am not sure what the issue is because i was last able to get faint satellite signals even inside a mall. I am not sure what is causing this issue :S

Guys i am facing this issues that sometimes the USB connectivity of my phone with laptop in PC suite mode does not happen at all. The USB sign comes on the phone and disappears. :S

Last time the issues was with the SPB mobile shell as in if that was On then USB connectivity did not happen but after it was uninstalled it worked.

Now i have orange tsunami HS and i thought that it is responsible so i uninstalled that but still cannot connect :(

raksrules said:
^^ I am not sure what the issue is because i was last able to get faint satellite signals even inside a mall. I am not sure what is causing this issue

Were you able to get the co-ordinates?

Guys i am facing this issues that sometimes the USB connectivity of my phone with laptop in PC suite mode does not happen at all. The USB sign comes on the phone and disappears. :S

Last time the issues was with the SPB mobile shell as in if that was On then USB connectivity did not happen but after it was uninstalled it worked.

Now i have orange tsunami HS and i thought that it is responsible so i uninstalled that but still cannot connect :(

May be the USB cable faulty - check with another cable
My query / reply is in bold.

Also any alternative to the OPDA.CN site?

^^ OPDA site is up and running.

I am not sure about co --ordinates but it shows my location perfectly fine.

I tried another cable also and still does not work. However it connects fine in mass storage mode.

Good that things have started working. Not sure why sygic is taking so much time for you. In my case i get a fix in less than half a minute.

OT: I wish google maps starts something with voice navigation, that would be a killer app, even now it is highly usable.

raksrules said:
Good that things have started working. Not sure why sygic is taking so much time for you. In my case i get a fix in less than half a minute.

OT: I wish google maps starts something with voice navigation, that would be a killer app, even now it is highly usable.

Sygic maps are offline or online?

are these Sygic maps available for india? I just checked their site and don't find it for india. also, it's not for free. how are these compared to nokai ovi maps?

Sygic maps are offline maps and they do not hav maps for India but via mapmyindia maps work with it. About sygic maps app being you very know the workarounds. :)

archat68 said:
Google maps needs GPRS access right?
Yes there was a workaround of downloading gmaps on ur phone from their site but now that doesnt works so u need active GPRS connection to use Gmaps.

Yes google maps requires full time gprs connection but on a better side it is good since we get latest satellite maps and the description is very much detailed.

Scr000021.jpg

V21.1.004 is out for 5233 . Did a Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) upgrade , was a 7mb download .

Back