The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

^ Nope, OVI services can backup almost everything including contacts, sms, notes, calender entries, images, videos etc.

In fact, while syncing with the ovi desktop app, I accidentally wiped almost all the contacts from my phone as well as the ovi app. Then syncing with OVI services OTA saved me. :)

sabby said:
^ Nope, OVI services can backup almost everything including contacts, sms, notes, calender entries, images, videos etc.

In fact, while syncing with the ovi desktop app, I accidentally wiped almost all the contacts from my phone as well as the ovi app. Then syncing with OVI services OTA saved me. :)
Hey tell me how to go about backing up everything from my phone (SMS, contact, calendar notes) using Ovi ??

You can do this in two ways. Either through desktop ovi app or OTA. I think OTA will be more suitable and hassle free if you don't mind the GPRS cost.

First you have to have an OVI account or make one here. Then log in and go to manage your device. Choose the phone model and other settings then OVI will send a config message for syncing ( notice the password given here, you will need it when opening the sms in your phone ). Alternatively, you can also get the settings from there and manually set up from your mobile ( I did this ).

For setting up manually in your phone and to select which you want to sync follow these steps:

Goto Settings -> Connectivity -> Data Transfer -> Sync -> Options -> New Profile ( Unless you have saved the config message sent from ovi services ). Choose the appropriate settings following the ones displayed in the ovi services.

Note : Besides the given ovi settings, you will also need to enter your ovi a/c user name and password ( not in the standard uname / password field but in the Network uname/pwd field ). You can also set the sync type here ( e.g. - phone to ovi / ovi to phone / both way )

After setting the profile, you get to choose what you want to sync, Options are - (Contacts, Calender, Notes, e-mail, Multimedia, Media, Bookmarks, MMS, SMS, Contacts Group )

Guys help me out in choosing between 5230 and 5235, both are almost same. The former comes with a plastic oval strap and the former with the metal. The former adds a Car Holder (making it GPS sort of device) and a mediocre earphones, while the latter only comes with IEM (Nokia model ) and unlimited music download via OVI store.

Now the *35 comes with a price tag of 8.6k and while the *30 comes with ~7.4k (prices from Nokia priority dealer). The only thing that is confusing my decision is the unlimited music download and a little bit of difference in design.

What should I opt for ? I will be getting the phone by tomorrow or day after.

Dark Star said:
Guys help me out in choosing between 5230 and 5235, both are almost same. The former comes with a plastic oval strap and the former with the metal. The former adds a Car Holder (making it GPS sort of device) and a mediocre earphones, while the latter only comes with IEM (Nokia model ) and unlimited music download via OVI store.

Now the *35 comes with a price tag of 8.6k and while the *30 comes with ~7.4k (prices from Nokia priority dealer). The only thing that is confusing my decision is the unlimited music download and a little bit of difference in design.

I think u should opt for Nokia 5230 as 1k extra is not worth it........I dont think the 5235 looks any better than 5230....also u can get free songs anywhere on the net........

Dark Star said:

Go with 5230. Dont trust the IEMs that nokia give. Incase you dont have any existing IEM with the money saved you can buy one and that too a very good one. Music downloads, now we all know the workarounds so thats not an issue.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Sabby

I had already tried this before and had synced my contacts only. Then i tried selecting other things like SMS but it says there are some mandatory settings that i need to define. In this case it is "Text message setting" under edit profile. The thing to set here is "Text msg database" and it currently says 'Must be defined" but what to define here i dont know:S

Guys any good motion sensing games for the 5230?

Yeah, I checked with various forums and found that ovi syncing is still in beta and thus they don't specify the database for text / multimedia messages etc. :( Although some users from T mobile reports they can sync text messages w/o entering any database address. :S

Have you tried the labyrinth game ?

Here are some more: Wave Blazer, Edge, Moolan (it uses the phone's proximity sensor), Raging Thunder, Resco Bubbles, Real Bowling, Shake it and Xpress Maze..
Hope this helps.. Have fun :D

Hey guys found a nice keylock software, a must have . Its a freeware. Motion-sensing to lock/unlock
Very light on resources, easily customizable.Only 130kb install in phone memory.
Here are the detailed settings guide in english Download
Check it out

Author Site - use google link translator.

Smartphone noob. Just got Nokia 5235 , have yet to install OVI suite, what am I suppose to do now ?

Feeling out of the world with this device. How am I suppose to use OVI maps and install apps ? To install theme I just had to copy past or somewhat else ?

Please do guide me :)

Dark Star said:
Smartphone noob. Just got Nokia 5235 , have yet to install OVI suite, what am I suppose to do now ?

Feeling out of the world with this device. How am I suppose to use OVI maps and install apps ? To install theme I just had to copy past or somewhat else ?

Congratulations.. any specific reason for 5235 over 5230 ?

Dark Star said:

Install the latest version of Ovi Suite first. That's the starting point of everything your smartphone is capable of. Navigate through connecting your handset and setting up your Nokia account. Make sure you check for software updates on your phone.(Under TOOLS<Software Updates). After that you are all set. Download whichever Symbian 60 V5 app you want and double click on it. The Ovi suite will install the app on the phone or the memory card,whichever you prefer. Same goes for the themes. :) Ovi suite will let you download maps and install them on your handset as well.

Srirama said:
guys my 5230 has gotten really slow these days,its such a pain to use it,please tell me what i can do to make it work faster?
I am not sure if it is the RAM utilization which is causing the issues. I never experienced slow phone but for better memory management i have installed the RAMBlow and keep it running in background full time. It auto cleans my memory everytime the phone is idle for more than 30 minutes. I would suggest you put this application.

If nothing works, then you are better off with backing up your phone data and then hard resetting it.

PS: I have observed that say i go to messaging and open inbox and then say come out with proper EXIT and then open the RAMBlow it still shows me the messaging task open, why this happens inspite of me closing it properly last time ?

Dark Star said:

Congrats on your new phone.

Now do the following (this is just what i did and anyone can add / edit the list)

1. First step is installing the Ovi suite in your machine and connecting the phone to it.

2. Then check for firmware updates for your phone if they are available. It is good to do at this point as you may not have loaded your contacts etc i am assuming.

3. Create a nokia/ovi account first. Go to HERE

3. Now this is not really necessary but i am paranoid about my contacts getting lost or deleted so i sync my contacts / back them up regularly. So you can go to THIS LINK and add your phone and give your mobile number to get sync settings. This will enable you to sync your contacts with OVI server. This also offers backing up you SMS, calendar entries etc but those features seem to be broken at the moment.

4. I guess you must be having Ovi store app in your phone. Visit Ovi store on your machine or using the app in your phone to download free softwares. Login using your OVi account credentials

5. Now it is time to search the net for some softwares that you may use in day to day life. My recommendations with reasons are as follows

a. RamBlow - Better Memory/RAM management

b. Opera Mini - No introduction necessary.

c. Google Maps

d. FreeSigner - This will be necessary to sign applications from phone itself.

e. Mchek - if you are an airtel user and need to recharge anywhere / pay your bills anywhere anytime.

f. X-plore - File explorer with inbuilt support for rar and zip files.

g. Step Counter - If you are into brisk walking / jogging / running.

h. Garmin XT / Sygic Maps - Alternate GPS navigation softwares. Ovi Maps is your default one.

Dark Star said:
Ok I updated the nokia suite and tried to download songs. Its asking for some voucher number ? Where am I suppose to find it ?
Check the things came in box with your phone. I guess my 5230 also came with like 10 free song downloads or something but i never used it so dont know.

It should be in the manual or some piece of paper in your box.

Back