The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

Dark Star said:
One more thing how am I suppose to set up OVI maps and configure it ?
In the desktop OVI application/suite there should be an option of downloading maps. Your phone already has OVI maps app installed, just that the map for India wont be there. To confirm this, go out and fire up the maps app and let the GPS locate your position, it will be able to do it but all you will see is a blank screen which means no maps available

Use ovi suite to download that. Should be close to 103MB of download. Also download the voice navigation for the same after that.

Guys remember i mentioned about the backup software Rseven. It really amused me today. I went on Rseven.com to check the backups that i have made and supposedly with the information that it backups, that contains also our location information. Check the below screenshot. I had received the following SMS right when i was riding my bike near Kandivali on link road and this backup shows that :p
2uhpull.jpg

2j4yoo4.jpg

I copied few video and when I tried to play them I got an error unable to plat either video or audio play them partially and the audio plays with no video playback.

How am I suppose to fix it ?

Also when I tried downloading OVI maps for India after few while its says internal error and stops downloading.

^^ For India maps there is a workaround. You will need to download the maps from an external source and copy the relevant folders on MicroSD card. I will try searching the link and get back to you via PM.

Edit: Check PM ;)

Guys download the latest version of google maps. It has voice enabled search. Select the language as Indian English and you are good to go. It is pretty accurate too even with hindi words. :)

Hi all my friend got a new Nokia 5230 locally ,his software version is some v20 is this the latest or can we update to something else by changing product iy yes then please help me with a guide.

^^ v20 has been out since a long time for the 5230 , for upgrading , if you have GPRS enabled , dial *#0000# , click on check for updates and then update . Else you nokia software updater / OVi Suite to upgrade via your PC .

No update mate ,looks like this is the latest.Now time to root the phone :).Damn every time see this phone it reminds me of the phone which singapore airlines stole from my baggage :( :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I am having issues with Nokia Pc suite ,when i try copying content this is what happens,Pc suite is detectin my phone but gives error while installing apps,name is with the Ovi suite it says no phone connected,Whats happening fellas??

capturezub.jpg

Dark Star said:
I copied few video and when I tried to play them I got an error unable to plat either video or audio play them partially and the audio plays with no video playback.

How am I suppose to fix it ?

Also when I tried downloading OVI maps for India after few while its says internal error and stops downloading.
raksrules said:
^^ For India maps there is a workaround. You will need to download the maps from an external source and copy the relevant folders on MicroSD card. I will try searching the link and get back to you via PM.

Edit: Check PM ;)

I just cannot install maps. Whenever I try it with OVI suite it started downloading and end up saying Internal error occurred. The link you gave doesn't have maps anymore.

Edit : What is the signing procedure ? How am I suppose to install at the #1 post of the thread.

@Metalspree

You are connecting the phone in PC suite mode only right ?? When phone is connected, it asks in what mode to connect. Chances are that it is connected in Mass storage or any other mode. Check that.

@Dark Star

There are two ways to install unsigned apps on the phone.

1. Hack the phone so it never gives you errors when trying to install a unsigned application.

2. Sign the application yourself (sis(x) file) and install it.

Now hacking tutorial is there in first post so you can follow that.

Another simpler (IMO) method is..if you dont want to hack the phone then

1. Go to Symbian Certificate Application and software online signing - OPDA.CN and register there and give your IMEI number and get your cer and key files generated. It may take few hours to get it generated and made available to you on the site

2. Now after you login to their site you can also download desktop signing application and mobile signing app (Freesigner.sisx file). Download both of them.

3. Install the desktop signing app in your PC.

4. Now say after few hours your certificate and key files are ready, download them and place in you PC somewhere and fire the desktop signing app.

5. In that give the location of sis/sisx, your .key and .cer files and sign it. This way you can sign any sis or sisx files.

6. Now similarly sign the FREESIGNER.SISX file because once this is done you will not need your desktop to sign sisx anymore. Just sign this and install on your phone and place your .key and .cer files in your phone. Fire the app on phone and go to "SIGN APP" (something similar...dont select self sign) and locate the .key and .cer files. Rest you should be able to figure out.

@rakshith it is connected in PC suite mode man or else PC suite cant detect it right .I have un-installed all nokia stuff from PC,resorted phone to factory settings .Now trying again will revert back ,will try bluetooth mode as well.

Get back to you in a while

^^ Yeah i had done the same. The link that i had used does not seem to work now as pointed by Dark Star.

@Dark Star

Go ahead with the link given by Srirama and you should be sorted.

guys is there any way to use ovi maps on 5233 ??? i know thrs no gps but is there an option to save those 100 mb indian maps ??? i dont want any real time positioning or gprs usage ,, just the maps will do ...... On the official site they havnt got 5233 in the options even !!!! any way to use em ??? (kind of in an offline mode)

Nokia 5230 firmware V 21.0.004 i just installed and phone seems to be even more responsive than before especially email client ..... Hows your experience ? ?

Back