The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

does hack work on it?

Edit:

Just updated,hack works,lot faster interface,otherwise nothing new i have noticed.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Nokia v21 has done nothing to my phone memory woes :no:

This vanishing issue in C: is really bugging,it just steadily decreases...im confused :S

@Srirama

Uninstall the games which came with the phone, you can later install it by downloading and onto your MicroSD card.

Uninstall those widgets for facebook, youtube, twitter, amazon whatever you have by default. Mine came with FB, amazon and youtube each taking about 1 MB. I wanted youtube one so downloaded from ovistore and installed on memory card.

Check if any big file is not there on your phone memory. I had a 5 MB song on my phone memory.

Go to Internet -> Web - > Options -> Clear Privacy Data -> All. I just regained 2 MB as i type this.

Reset your google maps (assuming you have Google maps installed) and it MAY regain some memory, not sure though.

@raks

i am not able to go beyond this,no matter what i do.

And GPS does not work for me anymore,do not know why?

I deleted nokia maps,which was taking up nearly 8mb,since then its not working,even though ovi maps 7mb is installed.

:sos:

^^GPS not working after deleting nokia maps is a known issue. Someone else on this forum also had faced the same issue. I suggest u install them back to retain the GPS functionality. Let me see if i can find some other way to get your space back. Moreover whatever you do nokia maps will install on phone memory only. Not sure though.

Anyone who has updated 5230 to latest firmware can please clarify whether i need to backup my phone data before going ahead with the upgrade?

Just did an OTA update. It was around 3.5 MB of download, not sure why so small. Phone has indeed become a lot faster and the interface has become snappy.

Guys,to my utter dismay,ovi maps is not installing.

I downloaded ovi maps 3.04,and tried to install it,when the installation is at the part of installing ovi maps.

It gets stuck,and the installation exits saying "Update Error".

I have removed the previous nokia maps,and ovi maps.

deleted qf files,the maps i had downloaded under cities folder,rebooted the phone.

Is there something im missing some here,im really missing my GPS :'(

will try to do that.

EDIT:

just applied the rs 98 internet pack,now downloading ovi maps(via SW update) lets see what happens :)

sadly not working same error,

now to try via ovi store

I guess as a last resort backup all your data and do a hard reset and see if maps is automatically installed. I speculate such thing to happen but you never know.

^^ No i guess it wont take you back to old firmware but yes all and i mean everything will be deleted. So VERY IMPORTANT is that you take backup using nokia PC suite.

Incase you dont know how to hard reset it is .....press green button, red button and camera button together and then start the phone.

In the unlikely case it does take you back you can always flash to latest firmware.

A hard reset will not downgrade your firmware nor will it delete any data on your memory card (but remove it to be on the safer side)

The Step counter didn't worked. I installed it and while accessing it I got a message "Cannot start engine. Quitting"

How am I suppose to get it working. Also how much phone mem. should be free. Currently I have 35.1 MiB free.

Also suggest some good apps..

^^I am using step counter in my phone and it works flawlessly. Not sure what the issue is on your side.
Some apps i can suggest are
Google maps
Garmin xt
Mumbai auto (if you are from Mumbai..for calculating revised auto fares :p)
Ramblow to free memory(not phone memory)

Back