The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

^^ Yeah....see there are two ways to install an unsigned app

1. Root your phone...hack it..install hellox or whatever to do...all is same

2. Sign the application and then install it without any hacking to your phone.

From these i use the method number 2. I have an unhacked phone but still am able to install all apps only after signing it. I really did not want to go into hacking thing so opted for this way.

If your phone is unhacked and you try to install an unsigned app you will get a certificate error. So to bypass this and not hack our phones, we just sign that sis (sort of give it an certificate types) so it installs on our phone without any issues.

Install a custom firmware and you will get the phone hacked - no need for any certificate. I installed CFW from dailymobile.se by ArunOrVic (google) - the phone was running great without any instability or any problem. Give it a try - if you dont like, you can always revert back to original firmware.

^^ Yes that is an option. Just that i did not want to take the risk or was skeptical about bricking my phone (may be just i was over cautious) and hence refrained from hacking it.

ggt said:
I've got the cert, key file today,got hellox signed, installed hellox but the hellox app gets stuck at installing cert root for about 2 hours so cancelled it, any possible fixes?

gaganjain said:
Same here...

Don't know why ? But phone work no hang up it work[can attend calls ]

It show unpacking..it goes on and on....

HelloOX2 works only upto firmware 12.1.089 on 5233 and 12.0.089 on 5230.

Ok another query
I installed smart movie player ver 4.15 on the phone using the sis signer and all. It got installed successfully.
I opened the app it showed me the list of videos on the phone but when i select any file to play the app just shuts down and the home screen appears.
Any fixes for that ? :(

^^ My case is even worse. I have smartmovie installed on my 5230 and i cannot locate it anywhere. It even does not show up in the app manager :S
Now when 2 days back when i tried to install some other version of smartmovie it asked me to overwrite the earlier version (which i cannot locate in my phone), i went ahead with the installation but the new version too is not visible :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Any other reliable video player ?
I tried the uc player but if i fast-forward the movie, the audio goes grossly out of sync with the video.

installed smartmovie v4.0 and then overwritten(installed v 4.15) over it.

P.S after installing v 4 try to play a video file it does try to play unlike in v 4.15 which just crashes.

In the apps manager i can see a app named "SMS DS Plugin". The problem with this app is that it accessing the GPRS/EDGE without my knowledge. It is i guess official nokia stuff but i am not sure why it uses my data plan ?

I am using airtel mobile office and i used to get messages saying "you have been charged 0.30 rupees. Thank you for borwsing airtel live" I never did that and never knew why message came.

So later i removed the airtel live access point from my phone and it started using the mobileoffice AP and i used to get messages like..."last call charge 0.05 rupees" and other amounts.

So i installed the Netqin mobi guard and antivirus and once it told me that "SMS DS Plugin" is trying to access network.. thats when i knew what was using my data plan without my knowledge.

I am not sure what this thing is and how important it is but why does it use my GPRS/EDGE without even asking ?

Yes it does that without asking more to check for updates for phone.
My sis got charged for .46 rs when she was browsing on tata docomo. Since she uses the*** method she got suspicious of the charge then she found that it checked for software updates.

This is something I don't liek either. I have the access point configured to be used only after confirmation. Even then, I have seen some apps using it without asking for permission. So, now I have either unistalled them completely or if I have to use them, set RomPatcher mod to block GPRS & Wifi completely.

^^ Dont do any such complex stuff. Better change the access point name temporarily. Like if airtelgprs.com is the point for mobile office then change it to airtelgprs.com1 or anything junk so even when it tries to access the net it will be unsuccessful.

Similarly do for airtellive (dont remember the AP name)

In Nokia 5230 using opera mini like apps when we need to download any file and specify a save location why do we see like this

Phone Memory

Phone Memory

Memory Card

Memory Card

That is twice both the things :S

Back