The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

^^^Thnx, 'm lukin into it. Where do I download it from the orange tsunami thing???

And also, I want to know if there's an image editor(with postprocessing stuff) for 5230, an alternative to the music player(maybe with more features), and an app which can save songs from the radio..... Help out if u can

Hey raks, I need to know something. You said you were able to save around 20MB of RAM when using Orange Tsunami theme. Is that compared to the original s60v5 or the SPB one ? Currently I'm using the default theme and I think a theme makeover would be nice. What do you suggest ?

sabby said:
Hey raks, I need to know something. You said you were able to save around 20MB of RAM when using Orange Tsunami theme. Is that compared to the original s60v5 or the SPB one ? Currently I'm using the default theme and I think a theme makeover would be nice. What do you suggest ?

Sabby, i am not able to find my that post related to SPB but see the case i saw was, i fired up Ramblow on my phone and it said i have around 19MB of RAM free, then i uninstalled the SPB mobile software and then it showed me i had around 40MB of RAM free, in this way i found that the SPB thing is hogging around 20 MB of RAM making my phone sluggish and moreover i was not able to connect my phone with PC using PC suite because of this.

The Orange Tsunami HS is very very light on system and does not eat resources and is very good functionally. I need to find the link for same and will let you know.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok guys found something really weird today.

I was charging my phone in switched off mode and still that Ovi core app tried to access the internet. It was the Mobi guard / Netqin AV software which denied the access.

How come it starts even when phone is turned off but charging. Quiet weird.

Anyone here who downloads large files on their 5230 / 5233 or uses torrents, please be reminded to do the following

1. Open NetQin mobi guard and go to task manager

2. Close all processes

3. Exit from Mobi guard

4. Now use your phone normally to download / browse / torrent etc

This should be done because when our phone starts there are many crappy apps that Nokia starts themselves, some of them like

OVI Game update

OVI APP Core

Nokia Email

<some unknown names>

These apps always try to access internet without asking for permissions and hence say if you have a download in progress, and these apps (or any of them) start to access the net,you will be greeted with error saying "Maximum number of connection exceeded. Close ...." which means you will be forced to shut your download.

I was downloading a 100 MB file from megaupload and this thing caused my download to be interrupted :-[

Torrents you can always restart but the above method is better to make your phone run faster and also get rid of unnecessary processes.

Ramblow wont show you these processes so you will need to use Mobi guard (it is free...get from getjar) to do so.

1.cud someone help me out with the network based gps on the 5233. i keep getting 'use a satellite based something'.help!!!
2. i was thinking of modding my fone with ARUN's CFW(non cpu)...is it good? more importantly,is it safe?will it void warranty?

tufel said:
1.cud someone help me out with the network based gps on the 5233. i keep getting 'use a satellite based something'.help!!!

2. i was thinking of modding my fone with ARUN's CFW(non cpu)...is it good? more importantly,is it safe?will it void warranty?
1)IIRC A-GPS(Assisted GPS) works by receiving info from operator and uses the internet to predict ur location and it isn't as accurate as GPS. I've never gotten the GPS/A-GPS to work on my 5233, its a total PITA and takes a long time. I need some assistance on this one as well. :D

2)I dunno about Arun's CFW, but I've used Upakul's Xtension and its great. Cooking your own CFW also is alot of fun, you can have the phone dance to ur tune rather than somebody else's, but that's just me lol

A few questions::-

1. Whats CFW? What are it's advantages? And the previous question, does it void warranty what ever it does?

2. Is there a good image editor for the pictures I click using the camera?

3. Video playback sucks on my phone. Is there a good app which can run videos w/o getting stuck every 2 seconds???

comp@ddict said:
A few questions::-

1. Whats CFW? What are it's advantages? And the previous question, does it void warranty what ever it does?

2. Is there a good image editor for the pictures I click using the camera?

3. Video playback sucks on my phone. Is there a good app which can run videos w/o getting stuck every 2 seconds???

1. CFW - Custom Firmware. Not sure whether it voids warranty or not, better to hard reset the phone before giving it to service center incase any issue arises.

2. No idea

3.Try smartmovie. Does not wotk in my 5230 but you can try, someone above mentioned a way to make it work.

But with me, the videos work properly on my default player of phone.

For video playback there was a mention of a converter in earlier posts.
It help you convert any type of videos to be played on the default player.
The playback in default is very smooth, con though compression not good though.
Eg. I had a 55mb 24 min video which played good quality in terms of bitrate on my twenty inches monitor but after converting it for default player the size becomes in excess of hundred mb.
So try smartmovie first then if not possible convert those videos.

Hmm kay smartmovie, and one more question. How do i get over the maximum limit of 35seconds for a video recording? It seems I'm capped at 35s, when clip length is already set to max.

Can anyone tell where one can look for the custom home screens. I had downloaded the Orange Tsunami HS long time back but i dont remember from where i downloaded it. It was a forum like where all the HS were available with detailed screenshots and all.

why do almost all java games lag on my 5233? i mean both splinter cell conviction and the forgotten sands lag and also the loading times are extermely long.anybody?

Back