The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

finally yesterday i was able to get vodafone homescreen back on my 5230 :) ,guys just check out dailymobile.se , that site has got some pretty nice applications and mods

Srirama said:
ovi is undoubtedly good but google maps offers more detail..
google maps gets a faster gps fix also..

Ovi maps is actually very good. Google maps lacks voice navigation, thats it, but the main problem with google maps is that it uses GPRS/EDGE connection full time to render the maps. Any way to get offline maps ? I guess no :(

raksrules said:
Ovi maps is actually very good. Google maps lacks voice navigation, thats it, but the main problem with google maps is that it uses GPRS/EDGE connection full time to render the maps. Any way to get offline maps ? I guess no :(

with gmpas you cant be offline as it uploads the map first using gprs , with ovi , its already stored in the phone i guess some 100mb files for india maps .

With the google the bonus is as it is downloaded real time , chances are it will be more accurate and precise :)

I use Sygic Mobile Maps, its pretty awesome for offline navigation.

I tried ovi n google maps, they are good when connected with GPRS/EDGE connection, but for offline navigation Sygic Mobile Maps is the best ,works good with gps,n POI option is very helpful , it provides even the contact numbers of the places.

Can anyone tell me how do i use the website cer.opda.cn for signing my applications. Consider i have download an application XYX.sis file which is unsigned and need to sign it to be able to install on my unhacked nokia 5230.

How do i go about ?

One more thing. I downloaded the FreeSigner.sisx file from this website and when i tried installing on my phone, it says expired certificate :(

raksrules said:
Can anyone tell me how do i use the website cer.opda.cn for signing my applications. Consider i have download an application XYX.sis file which is unsigned and need to sign it to be able to install on my unhacked nokia 5230.

How do i go about ?

Step by Step Procedure. How to get certificate and key in OPDA for Nokia N97

raksrules said:
One more thing. I downloaded the FreeSigner.sisx file from this website and when i tried installing on my phone, it says expired certificate :(

you need to sign the freesigner.sisx first.

I have noticed that internet over EDGE works very fast when using opera mini 4/5 but when using opera mobile 10 it is pathetically slow. Any reason why ?

yup its something like this..

opera mobile uses some kind of a server on your phone itself,so communications a bit slower.

opera mini uses a proxy on some remote server.

This is the actual difference i think.

The edge works out faster on opera mini due to that..

here's a much better explanation.. from

Lawrence Eng - Opera Mini vs. Opera Mobile Browser

In Opera Mini, the Opera Presto browser engine is located on a server. In Opera Mobile, it is installed on your phone.

When you enter a Web address in Opera Mobile, the Web page is fetched directly from the Web server to your phone. However, the Opera Mini client sends a request to the Opera Mini server, which downloads the page from the Internet. The server then transcodes the page before it is forwarded to the client in a lightweight mark-up language designed specifically for this purpose.

The advantage is that the Opera Mini client can be much smaller and work on more basic phones than the full Opera Mobile browser.

On the other hand, Opera Mini depends on a server while Opera Mobile does not. (Opera Turbo is an optional service for Opera Mobile that compresses Web pages and makes it cheaper to browse, but it is not required).

In practical terms, here is what that means for you:

Opera Mobile will render Web pages just like a desktop browser. In Opera Mini, there may be slight differences, and very complex Web pages may not work optimally.

Opera Mini will generally be faster. It downloads less content and requires less CPU to render pages.

Opera Mini works on almost any phone. Opera Mobile is only available for Windows Mobile and Symbian/S60 phones.

Which product is best for you depends on your personal preferences and the sites you browse. Many advanced users will have both browsers installed and alternate depending on the situation. For example, they will use Opera Mobile when on Wi-Fi, Opera Mini when on a cellular network.

Another reason why Opera Software has both products in the portfolio is that many of our operator and handset manufacturer customers have very specific requirements. The differences between the products may be extremely important to them. For example, Opera Mobile is generally preferred by handset manufacturers for preinstallation on mobile phones.

In that case i will stick to opera mini only and with latest version having good download manager (sort of) it just works well.

Btw currently in my phone i have opera mini 4 and 5 beta are installed. So i downloaded opera mini 5 and tried to install thinking that it will replace 5 beta but it tell me to replace 4 instead. How do i ensure that 5 beta is removed and 5 installed and version 4 is unaffected :S

actually when i did the software update,the opera mini 5 beta vanished,so i directly installed opera mini 5.

why do you want to keep opera mini 4,opera mini 5 is a lot more stable and faster.

I just like opera 4 more, probably it is just psychological. Will start using opera mini 5 more frequently now. But i guess beta 2 would be just as fine as final version 5 so i can keep it.

^ Was opera turbo on or off in Opera mobile? Opera says Opera Turbo loads pages faster. So try that.

In my case, I actually found it to be slower. :p

hiviky2212 said:
finally yesterday i was able to get vodafone homescreen back on my 5230 :) ,guys just check out dailymobile.se , that site has got some pretty nice applications and mods

+1 It's a very good site where I check out stuff all the time.

Take a look at Gdesk for those who are interested. I was going to create a new thread for it, will do it when I find time.

i know that this is just a discussion thread but i plant to buy 5233/30 (any one )
i was just wondering whether there is n-gage games support or no :huh: .
is there a way to run and install n-gage games

:peace:

GLEN said:
i know that this is just a discussion thread but i plant to buy 5233/30 (any one )
i was just wondering whether there is n-gage games support or no :huh: .
is there a way to run and install n-gage games

:peace:

I think i saw one some forum a method given to run ngage games on these S60V5 devices. Will find and let you know.

Guys, what chat messenger are you using?

I'm currently using Nimbuzz, I feel it's the best of the lot. However the only problem is that it takes only first 400 contacts for Facebook chat. :(

Fring is decent too, but no Facebook chat. Although their website says it supports FB chat, there is no option in the app? :S

I tried installing Slick, but showed some error, need to look into it.

I read a few bad things about it and that's why I didn't try it yet. I think I should see for myself.

Ok, just tried it. UI is not optimized for touch and is unpleasant to use.

is there a default certificate file or a key file in memory card or phone?(unhacked phone)

I could not find it . is there any way of retrieving it by pasting the file in a specific folder

i dont get to play around this phone since it is used by my Elder sister (nokia 5230)

There is an offer on currently (or a while i guess). You get car stand + 2 GB memcard + data cable for around 7800 with 5230.

Back