The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone update the first post with a "for dummies" edition table form of what PSUs work safely/smoothly with what UPS??? :D

For example, for vx450 PSU what are the good and bad UPS and vice versa?

Hi all...

Need a PSU suggestion please..

I plan to build a system just for a file server.

AMD sempro 140 + mATX mobo + 1 GB DDR2 ram.

1 * 2.5" HDD

5 * 3.5" HDD.

And maybe a DVDRW drive.

What is the correct PSU for me? VFM ones please.

^It would be better if you give a definite budget. Coz even the CX400 ~ 2.8k and Seasonic S12II 380w ~ 3k are VFM for the clean power, warranty, and the quality they offer.

I just want a VFM PSU that will support my above conifg without any issues at all. maybe have enough room of upgrade to hold 2 more HDD's...

m-jeri said:
Hi all...

Need a PSU suggestion please..

I plan to build a system just for a file server.

AMD sempro 140 + mATX mobo + 1 GB DDR2 ram.

1 * 2.5" HDD

5 * 3.5" HDD.

And maybe a DVDRW drive.

What is the correct PSU for me? VFM ones please.

FSP 400W @ 1.5K or the coolermaster Xtreme 390W(1.7K)

That will support 6 HDD's ????... with ease???... u sure mate...

will it have that many SATA power connectors??..or i have to use the converters

I have not much idea in this area.. :S ...

if u dont mind me posting this... so why cant a generic 450w cant even support 3 HDD's and 1 optical?

Ok guys buying 650 tx any final advice getting this psu for 6200k plus vat . To run 5870 or 470. Is it future proof for single cards ill never sli:)cos next year when I get a new card dont want to re sell psu like I did with vx450

Which is better for this configuration. Amd 555,2gb ddr3 ram, 500gb hdd,5770 or 4870x2 graphics card. I should go for gigabyte 460w or fsp 500w.

tech_savy said:
Which is better for this configuration. Amd 555,2gb ddr3 ram, 500gb hdd,5770 or 4870x2 graphics card. I should go for gigabyte 460w or fsp 500w.

you will have to make up you mind if you're getting hd 5770 then buy the fsp 500W,but gigabyte 460W will also do.

If you're getting 4870x2 then you will have to get atleast a Corsair 550W~5k,or anything higher.

Hi guys.hope everyone is doing fine.

I am doing a machine with

Intel Core i5 750
gigabyte GA p55M UD2 mobo...
2*2 GB Kingston 1333 Mhz ram
ATI HD 5750 1 GB ddr5
1 Sata WD Blue 500 GB Hdd
1 LG Dvd rw

No overclocking for me//but can add Hdd in the future as well as rams.

kindly suggest me within 3.8K a smps for this.My selection is

1. Corsair vx 450W
2.Tagan Stone Rock UG500 U37 500W
3.FSP blue storm pro 500W
4. CM 600W

Also plz suggest for my old machine whose SMPS is about to retire.

C2D E6300 1.86
Asus p5ld2 vm se mobo
1*160GB Sata Seagate hdd
1*80GB Pata Samsung hdd
1 LG dvd rw
nvidia gts 250
2*DDR2 667 ram

no overclocking for this one also...and there is no room left for upgrading,my budget is max 2.5K for this one.my choice is Gigabyte Superb PFC 460w.

So kindly suggest me,awaiting ur response.Thanks.

ani20042002 said:
Hi guys.hope everyone is doing fine.

I am doing a machine with

Intel Core i5 750
gigabyte GA p55M UD2 mobo...
2*2 GB Kingston 1333 Mhz ram
ATI HD 5750 1 GB ddr5
1 Sata WD Blue 500 GB Hdd
1 LG Dvd rw

No overclocking for me//but can add Hdd in the future as well as rams.

kindly suggest me within 3.8K a smps for this.My selection is

1. Corsair vx 450W
2.Tagan Stone Rock UG500 U37 500W
3.FSP blue storm pro 500W
4. CM 600W

Also plz suggest for my old machine whose SMPS is about to retire.

C2D E6300 1.86
Asus p5ld2 vm se mobo
1*160GB Sata Seagate hdd
1*80GB Pata Samsung hdd
1 LG dvd rw
nvidia gts 250
2*DDR2 667 ram

no overclocking for this one also...and there is no room left for upgrading,my budget is max 2.5K for this one.my choice is Gigabyte Superb PFC 460w.

So kindly suggest me,awaiting ur response.Thanks.

corsair vx450 for the i5 rig&
gigabyte superb 460 for your old rig

I had a problem of PC stopping by itself and sought advice thru' these forums. Immediate help was available, for which I am really grateful, from various members.

The conclusion was that I change the PSU. So, here I am once again, actively seeking advice on which PSU to buy.

My current one is a Frontech 400W.

My config:
MoBo: Intel 945GCNL; Proccy: E4500; RAM: 2X1GB Transcend (667MHz), HDD: internal: all Seagate:80GB SATA, 500GB SATA; external: FreeAgentGo 160GB (USB powered); DVD Writer: LG SATA, Logitech Spill-proof keyboard, BenQ USB laptop mouse.

External HDDs also include - with their own separate power supplies - 250GB (internal IDE drive put in a casing, with separate power source), FreeAgent Desktop 500GB and FreeAgent Desktop 1TB.

I intend to go for low-end gfx card (PCIe) for light games for the kids. Budget for the gfx card is 2-3k - that is to give you idea about its power needs. I was surprised to see that some entry gfx cards need 300W - that is almost 6 ceiling fans!
The reason I am mentioning this low-end gfx card is that - even if I buy this a year from now, I don't want to change the PSU just because of the gfx card. So, requesting a suggestion for a slightly bigger PSU.

Pl. suggest suitable PSU. I don't intend to buy top-of-the-line PSU/spend a bomb. Something that would supply decent power to my config would do. I live near a small town and need to order on the net only. How is prime abgb? Are there better alternatives - both in pricing & delivery guarantee?

Thank you.

^A simple entry-level power supply such as the FSP Saga 350W would suffice. Costs 1600 INR. Not sure if Prime stocks it. If they don't, try the Gigabyte Superb 460W. It's another good entry-level power supply and would last you for a couple of upgrades as well.

Prime is a reliable seller in Mumbai. Shoot them a mail first with an enquiry and have all your doubts w.r.t shipping expenses/courier etc. cleared and then do the neft transaction and have them intimated. They'll ship the goods soon enough. :)

Thank you for the quick reply.

I mentioned the possible gfx upgrade (it may be low-end stuff, but still for my rig, it would be an upgrade!).

The reason for asking this same doubt twice, is that I saw some low-end gfx cards rated ~300W.

Would the suggested FSP 350W suffice?

^Low end cards rated at 300W? Not possible IMO. A previous gen high-end card can as well be called a low-end card for that matter and it can draw higher power. What card are we talking of here?

That PSU can pretty much power decent entry level cards. :)

^ I guess he is mixing up things. For ex. people will recommend a 300-350w PSU for a 2-3k card like 9500GT/ HD4650 and its not the card alone which consumes 300w. This PSU is good enough for any card that doesn't need a PCI-E connector. You can safely run even a HD5670 with this PSU which is as powerful as a two generation old top end graphic card like the 9800GT.

You are right. Previous high-end cards slowly slide towards low-end (of the segment) as tech improves.

Probably I should have been more clear.

I was thinking of an upgrade based on something like a card like HD4850 - ultimately to hook up a larger screen display and use HDMI-out for enjoying HDrips & basic (no doubt on this!) games for kids like NFS.

Gigabyte Superb 460 is mentioned as re-badged FSP 400. FSP Saga II 400 is cheaper than the Gigabyte at PrimeABGB.

Should I go for the FSP-350 or the FSP-400?

And, no, I won't repeat this query for the third time!

Thanks for your time!

how much wattage psu need for HD4670 with core2duo +2gb ram +2 hard disk+1cd drive +card reader ?currently in my lenovo desktop , I have 280 watt power supply but I'm afraid this may not work if I installed the grapics card. plaese suggest me

Jambumali said:
Gigabyte Superb 460 is mentioned as re-badged FSP 400. FSP Saga II 400 is cheaper than the Gigabyte at PrimeABGB.

Should I go for the FSP-350 or the FSP-400?

And, no, I won't repeat this query for the third time!

Thanks for your time!

You are right about the rebadged FSP as the Gigabyte power supply. Both the power supplies can safely power a card like the 4850. If you can spend a bit more and get the 400W supply, by all means get it! You wouldn't regret the purchase since it might last you for a couple of future upgrades. :)

Thank you, for the yet again, very prompt reply !

I will order the FSP 400.

Really appreciate these forums.

Thank you for your time (& patience!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back